advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001HKPO94/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

313mvtc.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thank you for the link! The box set is pricey but stuffed with goodies. I enjoyed the review on R3 this morning- what stunning performances. I regret my off the cuff remark when Rattle took over the job in Berlin that he “polishes everything to death” because these are performances of unbelievable standards! I’ve never heard better playing.

I went for the cheaper download-only option.

It's certainly a new benchmark, although her previous set with Kurt Sanderling is pretty wonderful, too.

I'm now playing the last CD in this Sviatoslav Richter Live At Carnegie Hall box set that I bought way back in July 2017. Although the audio quality is rough in places - particularly the first discs in the box set - on the whole, the performances have been quite entertaining and well worth the price of admission.

51YtWMei46L._AC_US218_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Wagner - Tannhäuser Without Words (Maazel/Pittsburgh SO

I think it's safe to say I like Wagner's music when it's just that. Operas, not so much.

51YJCd2aCRL._SX425_.jpg

In 2017, I finally got my hands on Enrico Pace's incomplete set of the Années. The set has some of the best Liszt playing I've heard. Now, I belatedly got my hands of Francesco Piemontesi's recording of Suisse, and it's much the same. Piemontesi's Liszt is sort of anti-virtuosic, like Kempff's, but Piemontesi does occasionally play with ample technical swagger. Vallée d'Obermann is chock full of such playing. But the same piece also has some almost ridiculously gentle and beautiful playing. Julian Gorus pushes his pianissimo playing to Yaeko Yamane levels, and Piemontesi does, too, though when the Swiss pianist does it, it sounds sweeter. And there's lyricism aplenty throughout. Au lac de Wallenstadt is a lyrical dream. So is Eglogue. The bells in Les cloches de Genève chime gently, at least to start. Piemontesi does indeed deliver grander playing in passages in the opening piece, in Orage, and elsewhere as appropriate, but, at least for me, it is the almost hypnotic beauty and poetry that the pianist delivers that enthralls. I'm hoping, really hoping, that Piemontesi does the right discographical thing and records all three years. The encore of the second Legend also indicates that he should record more Liszt, like, say, the Harmonies.

I went the high res download route rather than the physical media route here, and the sound is SOTA.

A great disc.

Amazon UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BF46SYY/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

advertisement

Back