advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Lush. Really enjoyed this.... the orchestration puts me in mind of the Prelude to Gurrelieder, but percussion much to the fore - celesta, glockenspiels in 1st movement, tom-toms in the 3rd movement. Kind of hoping that Esa-Pekka gets remembered more as a composer than a star conductor in the future as all his works (mainly recorded by DG until now) have impressed me.

louis Spohr violin concertos...very satisfying.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000001S1H/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

91BRSRLdMFL._SS500_.jpg

707-16360-3220-0
707-16360-3220-0

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
TheDecameron we do not agree on most things I think it is fair to say but I would just like place on record my thanks to you for drawing my attention to the Isle of the Dead by Rachmaninov. Superb piece of music and one that I am sure Gustav would be proud of!

Listening to Szell and Fleisher barnstorming the Brahms 2nd Piano Concertp like no others. Tight electric conducting by Szell and an on his toes Fleisher. Magic. One of the great recordings IMO.

Brahms 2nd Concerto was subject of last weekend's R3 Record Review.... first choice was Krystian Zimmerman and Leonard Bernstein with VPO. Fleisher/Szell got a few mentions, but there was no mention at all of Friere/Chailly/Leipzig or Richter/Leinsdorf/Chicago - both classics IMO.

A classical newbie, I pulled the ten most interesting looking LPs from a 'ten for a fiver' box in the market last week.

I'm really enjoying this Telefunken LP of Bach gamba sonatas.

R-6363521-1417391535-2065.jpeg.jpg

advertisement

Back