advertisement

The PFM 'Printing' thread

It's a monster. Luckily I had help with the moving. Just printed out the nozzle checks, print alignment and colour calibration. All a doddle. Connected wirelessly to my Mac. Jose Rodriguez on youtube has an installation video so I was primed. I had to buy a new table for it. In fact, that is an Ikea kitchen island. Just the right height. I can't blame Lefty for that extra expense. But my wife does.:)

Stop it, stop it .................. You know I have the breaking strain of a wet kit-Kat, I'm sure it's an inevitable purchase, but not until later in the year......

Haha - we're as bad as each other! I remember when we used to tempt each other to spend loads of money on hi-fi. We haven't changed :D

Seriously though, it looks like you're current printer is doing just fine and is certainly producing the goods. That framed four blocker is superb!

I think you lot are crackers. I use a venerable Epson Stylus Pro 3800, and it gives me exhibition quality prints that look exactly the same as the image on my screen. It gives me virtually no trouble, but I bought a second one a while back for less than £200 as a backup, it too makes perfect A3 prints. I read the reviews on the new gen printers such as the P800 and Pro-1000, and the broad consensus is that that if you have a 3800 or a 3880 and it works, you are wasting your money.

I did actually look at getting an Epson 3880 when I was going from A3+ to A2, but most of the good units I found were low on ink, and when you factored the cost of that in, the deals looked a lot less favourable. Couple that with the fact that they were older units and the Canon Pro-1000 seemed like a more sensible buy for not much more money. In terms of print quality I fully agree. The differences are small enough that if you have a good and working 3800, then it probably isn't worth upgrading.[/QUOTE]

I can't blame Lefty for that extra expense. But my wife does.:)

:eek::D

Haha - we're as bad as each other! I remember when we used to tempt each other to spend loads of money on hi-fi. We haven't changed :D

Seriously though, it looks like you're current printer is doing just fine and is certainly producing the goods. That framed four blocker is superb!

Thanks for the kind comment, I'm very pleased with it. I'm always tempted but for the last 18 months I've had my sensible trousers on :D There is still quite a bit of improvement on my current printing process that I need to explore, especially on colour images.

I was lucky with both of my 3800s as regards ink. The first was beautifully looked after by a very arty photographer and had virtually a full set, with spares, the second was low use and had been stored, again with spares, old inks, but they work just fine. I paid quite a lot for the first - the 3880 was still current - but £180 for the second. I am considering converting it to Piezography for my B&W work.

I was lucky with both of my 3800s as regards ink. The first was beautifully looked after by a very arty photographer and had virtually a full set, with spares, the second was low use and had been stored, again with spares, old inks, but they work just fine. I paid quite a lot for the first - the 3880 was still current - but £180 for the second. I am considering converting it to Piezography for my B&W work.

That's a very good deal! I was very happy with the output of my previous Epson P600 and I did consider the P800 when upgrading to an A2 printer, but a major factor was Epson's use of a single channel for photo black and matt black, forcing the user to throw ink away every time they switch from one media type to the other. I do wish Epson would move away from this approach.

Lefty

Print of my latest image :)

46833149252_f99850bfc2_b.jpg

Fotospeed PF Lustre 275 / Canon Pro-1000

Lefty

Do any of you follow Thomas Heaton? He's done a couple of videos recently about printing his landscape pictures for display.

@gavreid Thanks for the heads up - yes, I do follow Thomas and really enjoy his videos :)

Rather nice image he printed too!

Couple of points:
  • He miscalculated print costs - the Canon Pro-1000 (same printer as me) comes with a full set of inks, so there's no need to spend the £469 for a full set upfront.
  • One does not need to use Platinum Baryta 300 to get good results. Sure, it's one of the best papers out there, but as he points out, it isn't cheap. My go-to paper coasts £47 for 25 sheets of A2 as opposed to £123.49 for the Platinum Baryta.
  • Can't believe he proofed his images on A2 paper - very expensive! A4 would have done the job equally well. (He was just looking for differences in the overall balance of the image, not fine detail)
Still, good to see more videos on printing :)

Lefty

I noticed that he said that he had a Canon Pro 10 but considered the long term costs to be cheaper with the 1000. Which is why I bought the 1000, so that makes me feel better.

I noticed that he said that he had a Canon Pro 10 but considered the long term costs to be cheaper with the 1000. Which is why I bought the 1000, so that makes me feel better.

The 10 and 100 do have higher running costs but this can be offset by widely available third party inks, though this requires calibration to work effectively.

The 10 and 100 do have higher running costs but this can be offset by widely available third party inks, though this requires calibration to work effectively.

Do you know if the inks are light stable though Mr P, are there reputable suppliers these days? I've had very bad experiences going 3rd party in the past.

Do you know if the inks are light stable though Mr P, are there reputable suppliers these days? I've had very bad experiences going 3rd party in the past.

I believe that no inks are as stable as the Canon ones, I've been using OctoInkJet, they are very helpful, so I would suggest contacting them with your queries, their refillable inks are a close colour match for the Canon, and similar I believe to the Precision Color Inks in the USA (well thought of). These are refillable inks, ie I refill the cartridges and reset the chip with a USB resetting tool.

For me its only a matter of time before I go for a Pro-1000, so using these inks is only for a transitory phase, and I can always reprint if I have issues!!

Today has been a printing day, multiple large prints for our redecorated lounge. Absolutely hammering the black inks......

oMsjj23h.jpg

11.69" square print in 20 x 20 mount, Fotospeed Matt Ultra 240
Picture, original X100 - taken through Fortnum and Mason's window in 2017

advertisement

Back