advertisement

Naim NAC 72 or 82??

Mike Thornewill

pfm Member
I am considering upgrading my 72 to an 82.
I do not use a seperate power supply just at the moment, though I intend to - and currently use it together with a 140, and Credos.

But if I ran my 72 with a supercap, would it really sound better than an 82 with a supercap? Does anyone have any knowledgable views please?

In the future I intend to upgrade to a 180 or 250.

Thanks,
Mike,

Mike,

A 72/HICAP/140 is a very good combination, and the HICAP makes quite a difference to the sound - getting a PSU for your existing setup is the first step to take, and very cost effective. If you fancy spending a load more money then sure, get an 82/SUPER or whatever.

Also, do consider some of Les's alternative PSUs if you don't mind a slightly different case for the PSU. His PSUs are almost universally considered to be better than the HICAP design, and are certainly cheaper new. Also his 8** (whatever) boards for the 72 are good - i've had some in my main system for a year or so and am enjoying the sound.

Cesare

Mike

I started out years ago with a 32.5 /140 combination and it was good. The 32.5 is virtually the same as a 72 BTW.

Adding a Hicap will definately improve the sound.

As a rough rule of thumb, upgrading any pre amp will improve the musicality of the system and upgrading the power amp will give more grunt to the speakers.

In your position I would go go the Hicap and then replace the 72 with a 82 which will give you a 82 +Hicap /140.

Your next step should then be a 250 to replace the 140 but that can be done over time. A 82+Hicap / 250 is a truly excellent system.

To be honest, you do not need a Supercap until you are in the NAC52 territory. A 82 with a Hicap sounds brilliant.

Regards

Mick

Try the 821's from less or Neil's 321 and 729 replacements, i prefered them to Les's cards. Definitely add a power supply to the pre-amp one of Les's TPX, or a Teddy Cap.

Mike

If you like the Naim sound, stick with Naim and don't bugger it up and devalue it witn non Naim mods.

Regards

Mick

The 72 is a bloody good little preamp. There's a thread running on the Naim forum about running it with a Supercap, and the thoughts were not positive, but of course it's a personal taste thing.
There's a lot of the 72 in the 52 (if that makes mathematical logic), and the mods that Avondale suggests make a lot of sense, although I haven't had the pleasure of listeing to the result (yet). But that would be bodging and I wouldn't want to become a Moonie.
If you want to stay in safe Naim territory, I'd put in a HiCap first, which you're going to need anyway if you go for a 250 later.
Cheers
John

I have fond memories of my 72, but the 82 is in a different class altogether.

Having owned a 180 I wouldn't bother with it, but go straight for a 250. The 180 gives you a certain buzz as they use the full-size case, but it's a bit of a pretender I'm afraid.

I've never heard Credos, but I didn't rate a pair of Intros I once heard. I think your aim should be 82/HiCap/250/SBLs as a true classic Naim combination. All with the best front-end you can afford of course.

Mike

If you like the Naim sound, stick with Naim and don't bugger it up and devalue it witn non Naim mods.

Regards

Mick

Mick, until you have heard a set of my cards please do not post uninformed comments. Les makes a money back promise and I'm prepared to do likewise. The OP is more than capable of listening and making his own mind up if he wishes.

The other thing to remember is that the cards in the 72 slot in, and therefore no bodging or soldering is required.

If I had a standard 72, I wouldn't hesitate to take Neil up on his offer.

Neil,
I think that underneath it all Mick is making some valid points badly.

He's right in saying that the value of a Naim amp on the second-hand market generally, ie outside this forum, will be less if it's had either your or Les's cards fitted. This is arguably unfair, but that's how it is.

Mick's also right in pointing out that this chap won't be sticking to the sound he likes - Les's kit does sound different from Naim kit (better IMHO, but there you go) and I dare say your mods do too. He's pointing out that this chap would be taking a leap into the unknown, although with an easy way of jumping back if needs be. I remember my own initial reluctance when I first tried Avondale.

I would point out that you don't need to actually hear your mods to appreciate these 2 points - they have nothing to do with the sound.

Where he goes too far is in saying it'll bugger it all up soundwise - he can't know that for this chap.

I often recommend Avondale to people on this forum, as I think his stuff is super, but always with 2 provisos: they won't retain their value as well second-hand as pure Naim stuff and Les must be within sight of retiring in the next 5-10 years, not that in any way I want him to - more power to his ingenious elbow :)

There's a thread running on the Naim forum about running it with a Supercap, and the thoughts were not positive, but of course it's a personal taste thing.

Cheers
John

George is running an inadequate source. The addition of a supercap simply revealed more problems.

He's right in saying that the value of a Naim amp on the second-hand market generally, ie outside this forum, will be less if it's had either your or Les's cards fitted. This is arguably unfair, but that's how it is.

Well that would be a fair and valid point if the modifications were not so easily reversed. It's only plug in cards one changes - one can very easily take them out again and put the original ones back in their place. I've still got the original (completely unaltered) cards for my 72 and can reverse every single mod in about 60 seconds (which is exactly what I will do if I sell it).

Neil,
I think that underneath it all Mick is making some valid points badly.

But with the 72 cards, you can pop the old ones back in before you sell it as factory spec, and then sell the upgraded cards on here to people who know better.

There is no reason in the world not to try Les's cards with one of his PSUs, reports on here would suggest the combo should blow an 82/Supercap out of the water. If you don't like them, send them back for a refund (try that with a Naim ;)).

Cheers,

Ed

...Les's kit does sound different from Naim kit (better IMHO, but there you go) and I dare say your mods do too.

I tried a pair of 821s and agree - they do veer from the house sound - and some like it, some don't. That's why I persevered with the mods to the Naim circuit. To the ears of most of the users they develop on the house sound not steer away from it.

But again, why discourage someone from listening to both (virtually) risk free and making up his own mind?

Neil

The OP did not enquire about modified boards, someone could not resist the temptation and jumped in.

For your information I have heard Naim kit that has been modified and preferred the original Naim sound.

You modders are becoming viral marketing experts, someone asks a question about a Naim product and a modder dives in.

You have an commercial agenda because you are selling boards, my only agenda is that of enthusiasm for a good sound.

Regards

Mick

"The OP did not enquire about modified boards, someone could not resist the temptation and jumped in."

So what, were any forum rules broken?

"For your information I have heard Naim kit that has been modified and preferred the original Naim sound."

For our inforamtion, you also listened to loudspeakers connected upside down and preffered that sound. You come over as deaf but nobody takes the mick for that.

"You modders are becoming viral marketing experts, someone asks a question about a Naim product and a modder dives in."

You may haven't noticed but the modder you pick on the most, LesW, never comes on these threads.

"You may haven't noticed but the modder you pick on the most, LesW, never comes on these threads."

He does sometimes Trails, you just have to know how to spot him.

Neil

The OP did not enquire about modified boards, someone could not resist the temptation and jumped in.

For your information I have heard Naim kit that has been modified and preferred the original Naim sound.

You modders are becoming viral marketing experts, someone asks a question about a Naim product and a modder dives in.

You have an commercial agenda because you are selling boards, my only agenda is that of enthusiasm for a good sound.

Regards

Mick

True, but he did ask about upgrading between the 82 and the 72 and the whole mods thing is closely related in this context.

Personally, I've no problem at all with people expressing a preference for unmodified equipment. Compare the differences and take your pick - the mods can be reversed in seconds.

As regards your third statement, I can see your point. However, you don't read posts from people asking about valve amps only to be told to buy a 72 and mod it (I don't think so any way).

I can't really comment on the last point, other than to point out that I personally have absolutely no financial interest, or gain, in any of this. In addition, the stuff I have bought has been very close to zero profit for those involved.

You have an commercial agenda because you are selling boards

Mick, I have no commercial agenda, I'm a pure hobbyist - I organized a group buy for DIY'ers - the boards were sold at cost.

I (and flatpopely) have built a few pairs for people who cannot do it themselves - and the price is little or no more than the cost of the components.

I do it because I benefited hugely from the collective wisdom here and want to give something back to the community.

I think you'll find the neither Les nor myself are telling anybody there is only one way to go. But once again - you are trying to steer a person one way only based on your personal prejudices - when the options are out there why not encourage the individual listen and make up his own mind - especially when he can do so at no risk.

Via this whole idea of modifying ones 72 I have become friends with both Andrew and Neil; neither of these gentlemen have made any money from this exercise and both have only involved themselves in the purist 'hobby' sense. I know that it has been a lot of work for both of them (and a right pain in the ass at times). Obviously Les is running a business; his overheads are reasonably low but he still has to make a profit.

advertisement

Back