advertisement

Naim NAC 72 or 82??

It wouldn't be as good- or better, it would be different. Whether or not you prefer that sound is a different question altogether.

I doubt anyone round here has tried that actual combination. Having said that it's a safe bet some would prefer, some not. You can't even get a consensus round here on whether Naim gear sounds nicer than Quad, Meridian or Linn. Different is the word indeed.

I doubt anyone round here has tried that actual combination. Having said that it's a safe bet some would prefer, some not. You can't even get a consensus round here on whether Naim gear sounds nicer than Quad, Meridian or Linn. Different is the word indeed.

Each to their own, I guess.

You miss the point of what i'm saying.

'Better' only exists in the mind of the person listening.

That's all that matters, if one believes/hears that it is better no amount of alternate opinions can persuade one otherwise.
Thats how we choose the equipment we enjoy our music through.

But when a number of people are of the same opinion/experience then what does this constitute?
I believe that it re-affirms that you have chosen correctly, and not been swayed by any sales patter or opinion-only from Forums.

As far as I can tell:

82 v 282 - new box, (slightly) more flexible signal inputs (one extra set of RCAs or are they BNCs for CD), a data port and the system wide RC connection.

82 v 102 - additional left/right power rail split for use with 2 Hicaps/Supercap.

Any other changes?

Bring up an old thread :) are there any other changes 82 vs 282?

I experimented with a Naim preamp upgrade from a 72 a few years ago – really out of curiosity. It dramatically changed the sound of the system in an impressive way. But after a few months all I wanted was to return to the 72. I sold the upgrade within an hour to a chap who couldn’t believe his luck at the price and , with some difficulty, managed to buy another 72. System BALANCE was restored – there was less at the frequency extremes, which the other pre often forced me to concentrate on, and easier, relaxed, listening resulted.

The 72 just seems to get to the heart of the music and draw out the essentials.

Having gone up the whole olive range ending in 52 I now use a 32.5/Hicap (at 72 spec)
The differences are minimal and doubt that in a blind test I or anyone else would be able to reliably (7 out of 10 times) tell which was which. In your position I would try some of Neil's boards and buy a Hicap and some 135s. Just so it all matches. If you don't care about that get a Teddycap. Try to keep in mind that this Naim upgrade path/Naim sound thing is mainly a load of w**k.

Mind you what I would really do is get the Arcs on Ebay then find a SH Teddy or Sonic Bliss.

Interesting comments.

Have a 72 with Neil's excellent boards. I wondered if a s/h 82 or 282 would add anything.

Some say the 282 betters the 82 but I am not sure by how much.

If you don't need the separate source and record selection, and who does these days? then the 102 is a great preamp in my opinion. Electrically similar, and with some better power filtering than the 82 it is capable of being a stunning preamp as long as you feed it separate digital power. A very simple mod can turn it dual hicap capable like the 82 for even better performance.

advertisement

Back