advertisement

Naim NAC 72 or 82??

Mick

Neil does not make money on his boards.

FWIW they keep the naim sound but improve the overall musicality.
I love the naim sound, Neils board make my 72 more enjoyable.

Andrew

Like wise i pipe up on the 72 mod threads solely because i enjoy the sound i get now. Only Les makes money from modding or recommending Naim mods on this site and he is conspicuous by his absence..

It would be remiss of us who have gained so much by bodging, not to recommend it to others as a cheaper and ultimately more satisfying option.

Neil,
I do apologise, I ass-umed that you were a commercial concern like Les that I hadn't heard of before.

Mick,
I take your point about people jumping in, but I think it's the price we pay for having dealers and company guys on the forum. They're trying to make a living so they're bound to jump in and try to land that fish. Some of them do grate a bit I must admit.

On the other hand, they give an extra dimension of knowledge to the forum that I personally would miss. I like being able to talk to someone who has far more knowledge of my hobby than I do. It's like being able to talk to Soichiro Honda (RIP) if you own one of their esteemed products.

I wish I'd been around on the Naim forum when Julian Verkerer used to post.

Nobody who has posted on this thread is a dealer or 'company guy' that I know of; obviously, that is not true of the forum as a whole.

I think all the points I was going to make have been made in earlier posts.

Taking a straight, unmodified product and I'd choose an 82 every time, but not necessarily with a 140 with no supply...

The 180 does work quite well with an 82 though, although obviously, the sound improves with a HiCap or similar.

Now, this is where I really do disagree with Mick in this instance - as has been said on other threads, the 72 can genuinely be IMPROVED with the boards mentioned earlier as suggested. These people have used the likes of 82's and 52's in the comparison and haven't, to my knowledge, altered the Naim sound out of all recognition, any more than the ZAP250 does. rather, it lifts the existing qualities to a more modern level. I mean, the current range doesn't exactly sound like Olive does it, let alone the CB era and NONE of them sound like the original bolt up range IMO.......

I have owned a NAC82 and used it with both one and two HiCaps and also a SuperCap. The second HiCap was a disappointment in what improvement I got for the cost. However the SuperCap transformed the NAC82 to much higher plain which was a pleasant surprise.

However if I were in your shoes I would think about this route a) add a cheap s/h HiCap to the 72 b) do the Les or Neil mods c) sell or trade with Les the HiCap for a TPX1 d) buy a cheap CB NAP250 e) sell 72 and buy a Grad1 f) Avondale the 250.

All the above is assuming that the quality of your front end is good enough.

Of course by then you'll need some better LS and then and then........

Cheers and enjoy the music,

DV

Hmm...DV, why would you bother with steps a) and c)? Why not just buy a TPX1 in the first place as a second hand Hi-cap is unlikely to be much less - or don't you think so?

George is running an inadequate source. The addition of a supercap simply revealed more problems.

dave, that is complete nonsense.

You would be well aware that the Lavry DA-10 has found favour with a good few Naim owners - to the extent that a couple have reported it be very close in performance to the CD555 and other's claiming it is better than their CDS3s.

Hardly an 'inadequate source' then (yes I know a die-hard naim fanboy like yourself will surely remain firmly in denial).

Mr Tibbs

Does anyone have any knowledgable views please?

No, I seriously doubt you'll learn anything of worth from a forum audio room about the sound of a product

Buy whatever you are interested in cheaply on the used market and try it for yourself without looking for verification of your own conclusions, or in the case of new kit go and listen at a good dealer. Most will allow a home demo.

With used kit it is so easy today to buy it, try it and then shift it on with little risk of financial loss.

No, I seriously doubt you'll learn anything of worth from a forum audio room about the sound of a product

I totally agree, by all means use the forum to find avenues to explore, but only you can decide on what you like and what is good value for money for you - just listen to as many alternatives as is practical.

And trust your own ears.

Perhaps purchase a 82, then one of us modding fools can lend you a 72 fully loaded for your disappointment. I have a spare for just such an occasion. ;-)

I totally agree, by all means use the forum to find avenues to explore, but only you can decide on what you like and what is good value for money for you - just listen to as many alternatives as is practical.

And trust your own ears.

Indeed and this is where a goodly bunch of folk take their pleasure - trying different bits of kit. Neil's advice should always be followed and the kit that suits you best - is the best.

Trust your own ears (and those of your girlfriend/wife should you be fortunate to have one)

Mike, to go back to the question with which you started this topic, I have moved rung by rung up the Naim ladder over a period of 20 years. Every step has taught me something and if you have the time you will find it very rewarding. I particularly remember adding the Hi Cap to a 72, and then being bowled over moving to an 82 with 1 Hi Cap, then adding a second and then finally blowing it all away (at a price) with a Supercap. BTW, from memory, I don't think a Supercap is an option with a 72.
"Festina Lente" said the Romans and I think that wisdom applies particularly to the Naim heirarchy.

...If there is, in fact, any wisdom in climbing the Naim ladder at any speed. The company itself certainly has made some money by creating this slippery pole with nirvana - always just out of reach - at the end...allegedly.

Cheers,

Nic.

I have been there. In order or increasing expense and eventual frustration:

1. NAC62/NAP140
  2. NAC62/Hicap/NAP140
  3. NAC72/Hicap/NAP140
  4. NAC72/Hicap/NAP135s
  5. NAC72/Supercap/NAP135s
  6. NAC82 (borrowed thankfully)/Supercap/135s

Somewhere along the line the goal was the 52.

Now at much lesser expense and greater musical satisfaction:
  • Preamps: Starfish or NAC32 with a new mother board and modified cards.
  • Power Supply: A simple HP 32v power brick - soon to be replaced by a raw supply built around one of Hackers boards
  • Power amps: NAP135s - still. With plans to build some NCC200 based mono blocks soon.
I can honestly say I have never enjoyed my music more.

I got your special test boards today Neil (thanks by the way) - only had a brief listen though.

dave, that is complete nonsense.

You would be well aware that the Lavry DA-10 has found favour with a good few Naim owners - to the extent that a couple have reported it be very close in performance to the CD555 and other's claiming it is better than their CDS3s.

Hardly an 'inadequate source' then (yes I know a die-hard naim fanboy like yourself will surely remain firmly in denial).

Mr Tibbs

Mr. Tibbs,

Internet audiophile's opinions carry no weight with me considering their track record. With few exceptions, I've found their conclusions dead wrong. This has nothing to do with promoting Naim-only sources. I frequently recommend other brands which aren't exposed by Naim or other fine systems. A Lavry-loaded laptop simply isn't one of them. Matter of fact, no laptop or outboard DAC I've yet heard is up to my standards. Eventually we'll get there I'm sure.

Sorry, by all means, keep trying...

dave

P.S. Just so we're clear on this, 555, CDS3 or Naim ownership in general doesn't give you the ability to determine what defines best musical reproduction any more than owning Lavry or Fisher-Price.

Chaps

The general consensus is to trust your ears and that is excellent advice.

I did it, as have thousands of others and that is why we stay with pure and unsullied Naim.

Regards

Mick

advertisement

Back