advertisement

Linn bloody Linn

Neither do I?

Is it someone who applauds mindlessly?
Does this reflect you?

Rhetorically, sealioning fuses persistent questioning—often about basic information, information easily found elsewhere, or unrelated or tangential points—with a loudly-insisted-upon commitment to reasonable debate. It disguises itself as a sincere attempt to learn and communicate. Sealioning thus works both to exhaust a target's patience, attention, and communicative effort, and to portray the target as unreasonable. While the questions of the "sea lion" may seem innocent, they're intended maliciously and have harmful consequences.

You could look it up - but sealioners don’t

I wonder

Internet trolls sometimes engage in what is called 'sealioning'. They demand that you keep arguing with them for as long they want you to, even long after you realize that further discussion is pointless. If you announce that you want to stop, they accuse you of being closed-minded or opposed to reason. The practice is obnoxious. Reason should not be silenced, but it needs to take a vacation sometimes.

Who's that professor again?
As I said - it’s in the thread

As is this

Rhetorically, sealioning fuses persistent questioning—often about basic information, information easily found elsewhere, or unrelated or tangential points—with a loudly-insisted-upon commitment to reasonable debate. It disguises itself as a sincere attempt to learn and communicate. Sealioning thus works both to exhaust a target's patience, attention, and communicative effort, and to portray the target as unreasonable. While the questions of the "sea lion" may seem innocent, they're intended maliciously and have harmful consequences.

Internet trolls sometimes engage in what is called 'sealioning'. They demand that you keep arguing with them for as long they want you to, even long after you realize that further discussion is pointless. If you announce that you want to stop, they accuse you of being closed-minded or opposed to reason. The practice is obnoxious. Reason should not be silenced, but it needs to take a vacation sometimes.

Yes, your approach on this thread is pretty consistent with the definition of sealioning…

You’re moaning ad nauseam about the depreciation period of a luxury purchase in a niche sector not being long enough when it’s 10, 15 or 20 years or more. Forgive me if I think this is more than a little OTT.
Yawn

Or are you

nternet trolls sometimes engage in what is called 'sealioning'. They demand that you keep arguing with them for as long they want you to, even long after you realize that further discussion is pointless. If you announce that you want to stop, they accuse you of being closed-minded or opposed to reason. The practice is obnoxious. Reason should not be silenced, but it needs to take a vacation sometimes.

Fair enough I largely agree. I don’t think we can re-write history & the CD12 was a very well thought of CD players. It’s become ‘forgotten’ not because it was crap but because it can’t be repaired. The same can be said for many other players & the lack of spares is not really within their gift. Linn couldn’t have foreseen how quickly CD would die just in the same way that no one really expected the vinyl resurgence.

I think it’s great that 3rd parties are keeping certain products alive. How many spares mechs do Sony keep?
Forgot to mention, I can get a 5103 or Exotic for between £300 and £400 inc P&P

Linn + dealer told me it was inadvisable to do it, they are unrepairable, even for engineers with the skills.

The list grows long. I think you can see I am (was) trying to stay in the fold but it becomes more and more difficult as sustainability and
cost factors make buying second hand Linn kit to maintain the system I love impossible.

Alternatives are difficult, I found Naim too harsh (relative had top of range system and I just couldn’t listen to it).

Friend moved to a YBA pre - large Krell monoblocks + streaming to Triangle speakers with dedicated sub. It sounded ok

He could stream TIDAL which seems bizarre really given the post indicated that Linn’s dedicated kit can’t, but then again, Christophe is using a 5 year old HP laptop 😜

I wasn’t being serious when I wrote that they could they be doing something like this (I should’ve learnt by now to make my posts a little bit less oblique).

In my career, I’ve met hundreds of design engineers. I’ve been to Linn and met some of theirs, albeit a long time ago. I also reverse engineered one of their active crossovers. They were certainly not in the cutting edge category!!
Prof Hawksford was (is) and his early designs are what I had. I have now bought a YBA pre based on what I understand to be his circuit principles.

Easier to get a schematic from him re MC amp than Linn giving me the value of blown SM ceramic’s on my Kairn display board!

As I said - it’s in the thread

As is this

Wow, you certainly missed the irony of @cooky1257 post...

Wow, you certainly missed the irony of @cooky1257 post...
😂 😂 😜

The initial post was intended to be informative and in fairness, a warning (as well as a valid moan).

That led to detailed dissing and in fairness targeted responses.

In order to play that ‘game’ it is necessary to go down the standard interview technique and induce their spiral of deceit (unless you are in any way trained you won’t know what I am talking about).

Suffice it to say when the trolling or sealioning builds one just expose the process (which has been repeated). The veiled insults intended to keep me typing and defending plus, repeated requests for minor information that is readily available on the posts or through minor research on Google.

Effectively allowing them to identify themselves.

At which point, cut and paste the ‘known’ definitions of both sealioners and what are referred to as internet trolls and leave it to everyone else to read them - well explained on Wikipedia though there is far more professional information on the processes employed by those who use either (but they will know that, it’s common knowledge on the internet and can be found on Google).

Regarding the responses, maybe they are, maybe they are not. Clearly to them it was a game to diss my information or bounce me and my info off or to make me seem what they accuse me of, including over sensitive and ‘missing’ the veiled sarchasm/put down.
Either way I’m not bothered (if I was you wouldn’t get this response).

It’s more fun playing this same game with serious criminals (and killers) which I doubt even one of you ever have (it’s not like it’s shown in movies and TV - that’s fiction).

You’ll probably try calling me paranoid but the processes are the same, as are the practices of distraction and prevention of notification - same practices in business, sciences, courts, police and as we now see daily within the PO inquiry. Usually by those who feel their advancement has gifted them with knowledge and power they are keen to demonstrate to bounce away threats or counter arguments the executive dislike or undermines their feeling of entitlement. Such is modern society.

Then again, maybe it has just been a game, maybe I’m right (I don’t need to be paranoid by the way, I made a good living from it for 50 years).

Oh, and the comments/info about Linn are valid and as I move away from that cult I am content to know that if the electronic repairs I do actually work - fine. If they don’t I wasn’t being deceptive by saying I am already sourcing and acquiring adequate alternatives that provide a usable image and definition.

But he has a good point. Why are people so defensive of Linn? Is it a religion?
BTW, I have never owned any Linn, partly because it looked so dull, like Naim, and partly because of the fanatics. Also like Naim.
I've never owned any Linn other than an LP12. Personally, it feels like people buy in to a manufacturer's ecosystem and then of course when the manufacturer does what the majority of manufacturers do (not just hifi) and drop support for a product, customers often feel let down and aggrieved. It is understandable, I get it. But tbh it's just business, and for some companies making money is more important than supporting customers. Some companies take a different view.

I do find it difficult that manufacturers don't release cct diagrams after they drop support for products, but legal (IPR) departments have a strange view of the world.

Part of the OP's complaint is that they have dropped support for almost current production. Which, if true, is pretty valid.
That's is poor. Could be a straight forward part's obsolescence problem and took the option to drop support. That's poor design if true.

advertisement

Back