advertisement

Linn bloody Linn

Have you ever, and I do mean ever, considered there may have been a slight misunderstanding of your first post? IME, you love to disagree, seemingly just for the sake of it.
That’s fine, that’s your opinion.

I have views based upon my experiences and the problems I encounter.

I have never dodged disagreement and if people insult (by innuendo) or more ‘in my face’ I will react, I don’t run away from minor conflict.

As my boss used to say, I don’t take prisoners and dealing with corrupt officialdom I was often treated to put downs, sarcastic innuendo and veiled insults intended to silence me. Put down a civil servant like that and they are liable to thrown themselves out of a window or complain.

Me, I just say it as it is, I’m from Yorkshire.

Those who disagree for no other reason than putting me down and having no credible counter argument lead to other considerations - defending their employers, doing a PO executive response, if people don’t understand my first post they should either ask for an explanation.

And it seems to me whilst veiled in niceties you are either trying to bounce me away, looking for an argument to prove you position or reduce my comments to ‘oh he just likes to argue for arguments sake’ to deflect from the problem

FIB requires use of an electron microscope to accurately place the beam, it’s not meant for mass production but chip design. It costs a shed load of dosh per device.

I wasn’t being serious when I wrote that they could they be doing something like this (I should’ve learnt by now to make my posts a little bit less oblique).

In my career, I’ve met hundreds of design engineers. I’ve been to Linn and met some of theirs, albeit a long time ago. I also reverse engineered one of their active crossovers. They were certainly not in the cutting edge category!!

Not really the point I was making. I understand you dislike nearly everything I post & that’s perfectly fine.

I just don’t see any CD players as particularly iconic in the same way that people view record players. The CD12 & naim CDS range were highly revered when in production but have any CD players achieved ‘classic’ status? Many have died away due to lack of parts etc.

The irony of all this is that person you are obviously defending has even more fixed views than I do.

Just make your life easier & put me on ignore.
You misread my comments.

You disagree with my opinions, comments and views on Linn and their customer/kit policies and that’s fine.

I sold my vinyl for CD, for a while vinyl died. Then came streaming, CD died. Then came the vinyl resurgence and even the most mundane turntable etc brings bonkers prices, now we have the resurrection of CD and I have been reading many publications lauding the wonderful bench mark CD players of old and guess what, CD prices are rising as are bespoke CD players.

The difference in my humble opinion - availability of lasers. That according to engineers I have spoken to is the problem. Linns use of HItachi means a total lack of reliable replacements (more door stops). I can buy as many MC or MM cartridges as I want for my turntables.

That said, Rega carry stock of old lasers (according to the engineer) and reading more (again) there are those seeking to return to the ‘old’ sound.

I am not disagreeing with you in total, just it’s horses for courses. Old CD players will never be as popular as old turntables.

Question, as streaming develops, will old streamers be worth anything….?

I wasn’t being serious when I wrote that they could they be doing something like this (I should’ve learnt by now to make my posts a little bit less oblique).

In my career, I’ve met hundreds of design engineers. I’ve been to Linn and met some of theirs, albeit a long time ago. I also reverse engineered one of their active crossovers. They were certainly not in the cutting edge category!!
🙌🙌🙌🙌

You misread my comments.

You disagree with my opinions, comments and views on Linn and their customer/kit policies and that’s fine.

I sold my vinyl for CD, for a while vinyl died. Then came streaming, CD died. Then came the vinyl resurgence and even the most mundane turntable etc brings bonkers prices, now we have the resurrection of CD and I have been reading many publications lauding the wonderful bench mark CD players of old and guess what, CD prices are rising as are bespoke CD players.

The difference in my humble opinion - availability of lasers. That according to engineers I have spoken to is the problem. Linns use of HItachi means a total lack of reliable replacements (more door stops). I can buy as many MC or MM cartridges as I want for my turntables.

That said, Rega carry stock of old lasers (according to the engineer) and reading more (again) there are those seeking to return to the ‘old’ sound.

I am not disagreeing with you in total, just it’s horses for courses. Old CD players will never be as popular as old turntables.

Question, as streaming develops, will old streamers be worth anything….?
Fair enough I largely agree. I don’t think we can re-write history & the CD12 was a very well thought of CD players. It’s become ‘forgotten’ not because it was crap but because it can’t be repaired. The same can be said for many other players & the lack of spares is not really within their gift. Linn couldn’t have foreseen how quickly CD would die just in the same way that no one really expected the vinyl resurgence.

I think it’s great that 3rd parties are keeping certain products alive. How many spares mechs do Sony keep?

My recycling centre ‘disposes’ of CD’s at 50p a pop (including doubles)

Our local boot fairs, I can get them for about 10c each.

Some have been signed, some are normally difficult to find.

They go into my expanding library and are ripped to my NAS server, I can listen anywhere with my laptop or, ethernet to the HiFi.

I keep them as Flac or Wav. Interestingly, like vinyl, some I have 3 copies of and inexplicably, they sound different. Who knew.

Streaming is ok but change contract and you lose your archive (don’t you).

And I like the tactile aspect of a spinning disk.

CD Transports don’t bind you to aging electronics (do they) but they do bind you to the need to have a working laser.

On the subject of streaming, I haven’t a clue, I hope my Innuos will last a good while.
Since you can’t delete them I am sure they will.

And of course if anyone disagrees with ANYTHING i say all they have to do is not read or reply. It’s not mandatory you know.

Changing the subject, I was going to re-cap my old amps, following the ‘advice’ on this (and other) sites.

Discussing it with my son and he reached out to a techy, his comment - more hifi cult bollocks dad. If he amp sounds ok it’s ok and the only people pushing re-caps are those, er, selling a re-cap service or capacitors.

Apparently, it seems he may be right.

The only caps the techy said he had seen explode are the Y’s (as in the Brilliant) and these are ’safety’ capacitors and designed to explode. Yes 47uf’s had ‘gone’ in both but no cataclysmic damage Y’s had done their jobs.

Quick shout out to Kevin Green for servicing my LK280. He also fixed a DC-overload issue (not sure that's the correct term) that was causing some serious overheating. Collected this morning and sounds very good already - that's compared to an unserviced 2001 Klout with caps still within spec.

On the topic of CD12 servicing, it's a shame Linn built that second run of players sometime in the 2000s using spares stock. Don't think they built very many - half a dozen perhaps. Can only assume they needed the cash at that time - don't think it's always been plain sailing.

Not sure it's been mentioned but Linn do still provide their service agents (e.g., Class A) with Valhalla repair kits so that's a 40+ year old product. Similarly, they also provide Lingo kits and that's a 30+ year old product so there is limited servicing support for the LP12. Ekos 2 arms above a specific serial can also be repaired - can't remember the actual serial number.
So, in fairness it’s an economics decision.

I do know Linn won’t release technical data on unsupported (defective) kit and say ‘dealers’ my give you access to the schematics that’s up to them.

For my Kairn, my dealer said they’d have to find a working Numerik to compare my dead one to in order to identify the problem (SMPS now fixed)

So being a dealer and servicing isn’t a walk in the park.

The other issue - a dealer working on a defunct piece of Linn kit, sourcing 3rd party parts and ‘fixing’ it isn’t always viable given it can take many hours at £100 per hour, plus shipping, plus customs (abroad). Quote for shipping/fixing the Numerik (no guarantee) £1k

Changing the subject, I was going to re-cap my old amps, following the ‘advice’ on this (and other) sites.

Discussing it with my son and he reached out to a techy, his comment - more hifi cult bollocks dad. If he amp sounds ok it’s ok and the only people pushing re-caps are those, er, selling a re-cap service or capacitors.

Apparently, it seems he may be right.

The only caps the techy said he had seen explode are the Y’s (as in the Brilliant) and these are ’safety’ capacitors and designed to explode. Yes 47uf’s had ‘gone’ in both but no cataclysmic damage Y’s had done their jobs.
All you wanted to know about capacitor lifetime but were afraid to ask.

Yes, your approach on this thread is pretty consistent with the definition of sealioning…

You’re moaning ad nauseam about the depreciation period of a luxury purchase in a niche sector not being long enough when it’s 10, 15 or 20 years or more. Forgive me if I think this is more than a little OTT.

Who's that professor again?
Now, if you look back in my posts you will see his name listed.

And if you research him on the Web you can find all his scientific publications. In fact there are many comments about his work.

You may also find links to his designs / circuitry.

Odd thing is, he’s qualified.

Yes, your approach on this thread is pretty consistent with the definition of sealioning…

You’re moaning ad nauseam about the depreciation period of a luxury purchase in a niche sector not being long enough when it’s 10, 15 or 20 years or more. Forgive me if I think this is more than a little OTT.
Really!

I’m not asking you (or others) to justify yourselves constantly, asking for evidence constantly but, then again, I’ve spent a lifetime dealing with sealioners.

Clearly you don’t know what one is. And no I don’t moan about the depreciation period of luxury purchases. I do ‘inform’ and rant about luxury purchases to warn off those considering spaffing £5k or more against a wall having now played that game. Linn clearly have a less than stellar service system. Being unrepairable when competitors are and so called luxury purchases being sold by the likes of you for enormous prices when offloading them or as dealers do they know Linn won’t touch the stuff and they can’t.

Now what did that dealer say that offered me replacement Klouts etc - I got enough ‘meat on the bone’ selling him £114k of hifi so it didn’t matter and I can move it on easily. - The Kairn was screwed and he would still want (with shipping) thick end of £400.

If that is ‘moaning on’ ad nausium you must be a Linn employee.

Now be a good boy and go and look up ‘sealioning’ on Wikipedia, night night.

advertisement

Back