advertisement

Sick of manual gearboxes? Maybe good news is coming

For those of us not in Germany, a lot of the engine/gearbox range is unusable due to speed limits off a racetrack. Cars are getting ridiculously fast.
They certainly are. Mine has 6 speeds, the top gear is only suitable after 50mph. At the UK limit of 70 mph the engine is turning at about 1800 rpm, indicated. It has to be because with a theoretical max speed of 155mph this equates to ~4000 rpm which is about max power (probably actually coming at 4250 or so), with the redline coming at 4500 (it's a big diesel).

I honestly don't know at what point cars needed to become so powerful. OK, mine is a special case, I get that, and in my defence I bought it for long trips, it returned 47 mpg on a 500+ mile trip on Monday. Good enough. That's better than an EcoBoost Fiesta. But I grew up with Peugeot 205s and Golfs that had 115 bhp and we thought that they were quick. Indeed in the pre speed camera days they were driven a bloody sight quicker across country than any of the current crop of 300 bhp monsters. Yet even a Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost boasts 140 bhp. Drive it, you wonder where the hell they all are, granted, but it claims 140 bhp.

Sick of manuals? No, not at all. Still quite happy with my 03 EP3 Type R
Granted now that I'm retired it is now a toy / errand runner / mtb and canoe hauler.
I never minded it in traffic. Traffic jams, any manual sucks, but the worst I've had is a heavily modified CRX. Clutch was a stage away from on / off and the flywheel lightened and balanced. That thing was a beast in stop and go but otherwise pretty docile on the street. Track was where it came alive though.
Yeah and as one of the best gearbox/gearchanges in modern times the EP3 should be a joy in any situation.

Conversely, when I had my Ford Puma (best manual gearbox ever and I've had a few) it was a joy to stir and pick the right gear, especially on twisty country roads.
Ford have always had really good gearboxes, I don't know why. Other manufacturers must know but don't seem to be able to perform the same trick. The list is long - Type 9, aside from its ratios which were geared around sales reps on the motorway at 90 at one end and getting heavy caravans moving at the other, with the others tossed in at random, was lovely to use. The earlier Type 4 4 speed was reckoned to be better again. I remember the early FWD boxes in the Fiesta, both 4 and 5 speed, having lovely shift quality. The Puma being a Fiesta in a party frock, I'm not surprised that the gearbox was a delight. I never had one, a shame. At the time I was doing big trips to the hills most weekends, it wouldn't suit, so I ended up with rather boring saloons to lug all the kit.

Maybe 'lurched' is a bit OTT, but I've driven several and they all behave exactly the same. There's nothing to sense a bend coming so there's no guarantee it'll be in the right gear mid-bend, which it often isn't. In normal driving its not much of an issue but its enough for me to disagree with those who assert that the ZF auto is 'perfect'.

My last car, with a 4 speed auto box, could be less predictable, big jump between 2nd and 3rd with top speeds of 80 and 130 so if you pushed a bit too hard going round in 3rd it would click down into 2nd with a massive increase in torque. Potentially embarrassing.

If you're driving for pleasure, a good manual transmission adds to the enjoyment.

But let's be honest: the vast majority of people driving on the roads are not driving for pleasure, but rather because they need to be somewhere. For that use-case, an automatic is better than a manual... assuming that using a car is your only viable option.

On the first part, yes. but I wonder if criticism of CVT automatics depends on details. I have only had one - an Audi A6 with a V6 2.5L diesel engine and a multitronic gearbox. It was the 6-ratio version and used a chain rather than a belt. I ran the car for 175,000 miles and had the ATF changed on schedule. There were rumours of unreliability, and during the warranty period I did indeed get the "flashing PRNDS" problem which Audi fixed. Otherwise it worked perfectly. I thought that this CVT gearbox was good.
If it had 6 ratios, it can't be a CVT, surely?
But let's be honest: the vast majority of people driving on the roads are not driving for pleasure, but rather because they need to be somewhere. For that use-case, an automatic is better than a manual... assuming that using a car is your only viable option.
As was pointed out to me when I was training, most people behind the wheel aren't drivers, but pedestrians in a hurry to get somewhere with the least effort and concentration. Road markings? Signs? Stop lines? Parking safely? Driver stuff, not for me! And if you view others (or maybe even yourself if you are honest) it explains a lot.

The multitronic box, IIUC, combines automatically selected fixed ratios with the usual (but chain-driven) conical pulley variable ratio arrangement via its software, to achieve a stepless continuously variable gear ratio. My experience was that this way of making a CVT does work well. But yes, perhaps I should have thought that people might be thinking of a CVT as just a pure conical pulley type and made this clearer.

I'm an automatic fan and was even when the choice in Europe was mostly crappy, British built 3 speed Borg-Warners. Guess what? Auto's has improved tremendously since then, nothing has happened to the 19'th century invention, manual gearboxes.

Still, my current car is manual, thankfully with 'only' 5 speeds to stir around with. An ordinary family car should have 4 speeds, only extreme sport cars should need 5.

OH's VW Beetle - not an "extreme sport car" - has a six-speed manual, and our Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 has a 6-speed semi-auto ...

As was pointed out to me when I was training, most people behind the wheel aren't drivers, but pedestrians in a hurry to get somewhere with the least effort and concentration. Road markings? Signs? Stop lines? Parking safely? Driver stuff, not for me! And if you view others (or maybe even yourself if you are honest) it explains a lot.
.. you have a word or two missing there. Explains what?

I'm an automatic fan...

... my current car is manual, thankfully with 'only' 5 speeds to stir around with. An ordinary family car should have 4 speeds, only extreme sport cars should need 5.
Only this morning driving my C4 6 speed manual. The high economy gearing is no fun.

Negotiaing junctions and wishing it was automatic.

There was nothing negative about my slick 5 speed manual 1994 Renault Savanna. My 14 y.o. Fabia also has a slick, smooth 5 sp. gear change as well (both diesels), so not sure how Ford can be a front-runner in that respect. Gear ratios are a different matter, however, and I remember wishing for an overdrive or 6th speed on long distance fast runs

I had a Golf TDI and a Sportwagen, both with DSGs. I now drive a 6 speed manual GTI. I'm 70 and just love to drive...

I wonder to what extent it is true that "almost everyone wants an automatic," and to what extent it is the car makers deciding what they want people to buy. The other day I stopped at my local BMW dealer and asked what models, engines and transmissions were available.
The answer was that if you want 6 cylinders it HAS to be a 400 HP turbo brute. But if you choose that, it HAS to have an automatic gearbox AND 4-wheel drive. No choice whatsoever. If you want RWD, it HAS to be a 4 cylinder model (330). Manual gearboxes are not available, unless you buy an M3, and that is about 500HP and costs the earth.
In addition, the power steering has become all-electric, which according to all accounts simply does not have the "feel" of the hydraulic power steering.
So I'm keeping my 1999 528i, and will throw as much money at it as it needs to be kept in top condition. As long as spares are available.

The first generation Audi multitronics CVTs were indeed completely variable, I had one, again on the 2.5 TDi engine. They were later programmed to have steps. Failures were caused by early PCBs failing with that new-fangled unleaded solder. I suffered that too.
The best thing about it was sticking it in sport mode and revving the engine up to max torque RPM whereby the car would just get faster and faster without the engine note changing. It annoyed many a boy racer at the time. It could be a little slow of the mark with the auto clutch arrangement but I put nearly 100k miles on mine without any mechanical issues.

I had a couple of Audi A6s with the 2.5 diesel engine & CVT gearbox. 130K miles in one, 90+K in the other, no issues with either & the transmission seemed to work pretty well from what I remember

Reactions: MJS
I agree G&T. Doing a long journey in today's heavy traffic becomes very tedious and tiring in a manual car. I've no desire to ever return to manual, they're horrid old relics.
I have to admit, I used to be a "manual till I die" type. I still do drive a manual, but now having experienced driving autos (even crappy CVTs), my position is more open. In a daily run around I could happily live with even the worst of modern auto boxes (they're nothing like they were 20 years a go with 5 second delays between changes etc). I'm hoping to eventually get a Cayman with a PDK. I've not driven one yet, but if the PDK is even half as good as nearly all reviewers say it is, then I'll be more than happy to give up manual even in a drivers car. It has full manual control anyway, and in all honesty I've never liked car gearsticks, I cut my motoring teeth on motorbikes and car manual gearboxes just strike me as clunky and junk, and always have. All that stupid foot and hand moving just to change gear. At least on a motorbike everything is right there to hand/foot with no messing around.

Petrolhead that I am, the ZF8 auto is superb. I won’t go back to a manual.
In the Giulia using the paddles it’s a tactile joy.
This, I really don't get the anti paddle sentiment some people have. IMHO manuals should have always used something along the lines of paddle rather than the tractor like agrocultural solution of foot operated clutch combined with hand lever for changing the gear. Just think about it logically, nobody in their right mind would come up with such a solution if they didn't need to, so why it took so damn long to get rid of it is mind boggling to me.

advertisement

Back