advertisement

Sick of manual gearboxes? Maybe good news is coming

Unfortunately the little turbo engines eat the big NA's for breakfast on the efficiency front though (in my limited experience), so better for the daily grind.
The little Yaris GR with a 1.5L 3-cylinder turbo-petrol motor puts out 200kW of power, which is considerably more than the old classic GM/Holden 308 V8 produced, and has a wider torque band to boot too.

S54B32 is where it's at for BMW straight NA 6's! Ran one in my E46 up to 164k miles and apart from coil packs failing was faultless.
And that noise at 8300rpm..................

Not all 6-speeds are Getrag. The variety in my 335i, according to Wikipedia, is made by ZF. It is buttery smooth.
Whenever you mention your 335i, manual, RWD, I cringe, or writhe with envy. It is what I would buy today. But of course they don't make them anymore, because THEY have decided that "people don't want a car like that."

Whenever you mention your 335i, manual, RWD, I cringe, or writhe with envy. It is what I would buy today. But of course they don't make them anymore, because THEY have decided that "people don't want a car like that."
It's also a Touring variant. People seem to prefer SUVs to wagons/estates.

I have never understood that. I MUCH prefer an estate to a saloon, and it has the versatility of an MPV without the bulk. Usually among the best looking variants too, IMHO.
I suppose some people prefer the higher seating positions of SUVs, and the illusion of better safety.

The little Yaris GR with a 1.5L 3-cylinder turbo-petrol motor puts out 200kW of power, which is considerably more than the old classic GM/Holden 308 V8 produced, and has a wider torque band to boot too.
Whilst this is true, I know which one I’d bet on lasting longer before exploding in a cloud of bearings and hot oil!

As to all this talk of turbos, they are chiefly for making diesels vaguely drivable. When it comes to increasing power on a petrol engine, turbos are for rufffians and scallywags. Everyone knows that the gentleman’s method of forced induction is the supercharger.

1.6 L ;)

It's a very tractable engine and doesn't feel turbo'd. If it had the gearshift of a Ford Puma, it would be near unbeatable.

S54B32 is where it's at for BMW straight NA 6's! Ran one in my E46 up to 164k miles and apart from coil packs failing was faultless.
And that noise at 8300rpm..................
Later N52 fairly legendary too!

Whilst this is true, I know which one I’d bet on lasting longer before exploding in a cloud of bearings and hot oil!
I suspect it wouldn't be the Toyota if their engineers have done their CAE work properly and the design engineers have worked to the correct cylinder pressure and excitation specifications.

Lot's of talk about that a couple of years ago, including fantasies that people suddenly wouldn't want to own there car anymore. And then.............................................. Silence.

I don't mind if everybody else is in self driving cars as long as I'm allowed to drive my own. When I'm old enough not to drive anymore I can always call a cab if it's really important.
Well silence occassionally punctuated by a news report of someone being killed by a self driving car that is.... but I agree it's a fantasy* and will remain so for a very long time IMO.

*or nightmare depending on your point of view.

I enjoy an older NA engine with a slightly sporty tune, mostly for weekend and occasional other drives (3.2L V6). It would only have marginally more welly/kg than the similar aged 1.8 turbo, but it somehow feels better and sounds much nicer while doing the same thing, and is more of a driving experience. Unfortunately the little turbo engines eat the big NA's for breakfast on the efficiency front though (in my limited experience), so better for the daily grind.
Bit of a myth actually, but it depends on what is meant by "big NA"

Bit of a myth actually, but it depends on what is meant by "big NA"

My experience of the small turbopetrol engines is that in the real world they are not that efficient, they certainly weren't in 2016-18 when I was hiring a lot of cars for work. I had a couple of regular runs - Aberdeen airport to Elgin, down the A96 (I think) so a pretty steady 50-60 mph trot, then to and from the factory every day, then back on Friday. Typically 40 mpg. Similarly Dublin airport to Tullow, Co Wicklow, similar 50-60 mph A road stuff, then factory and back all week etc. Same figures. That was without trying to drive it like I stole it, it was just a steady run in traffic. Around that time I had a Mondeo 1.8 natasp, no ball of fire but 38-40 mpg average and better to drive than the small turbos. I got to the stage where I was asking for diesels because they were so much better to drive and cheaper on fuel. Typically up towards 50 mpg.

advertisement

Back