advertisement

Sick of manual gearboxes? Maybe good news is coming

Paid by the paragraph journo turns out 1500 words in 10 minutes on demand to fill a small editorial column, then carries on with the next job. Move on. Nothing to see here.
I type UK news into Google most more mornings. I got click baited by the title, wondering how on earth can people with manual cars be seen as smug. Luckily I have an ad blocker so there was nothing to be made here. Moved on!

I am a petrolhead - well, perhaps more 'used to be' I suppose. I've enjoyed a lot of fun and interesting cars over the years but as I roll up on my 45th birthday it's become clear that priorities have changed significantly when it comes to the 'daily driver' and there's no way on earth anyone could convince me to go back from an auto to a manual for that duty. My previous 4 cars have all been autos after I realised what made me hate my 30mph 10-mile commute was incessant clutch-work in stop-start traffic. As most of us don't really have space/funds/needs for a multi-car garage I need something that covers most bases; for now that's an '18 plate Audi S5 coupé with a nice autobox. If I were to buy a fun car for track work (which is really the only place left to have sensible fun now) I'd probably get a manual but for daily use it'll be auto all the way now.

Edit: Oh, and the article was utter shit - what a waste of pixels and bandwidth.

I like Zoe Williams, but that was just click-mining.

But she's right, I am smug about my gear changing skillz. What can I say? It gives me a kick to make a seamless constant-throttle downchange or crowbarring in a pointless double-declutch for no reason.

But the availability of manual boxes will become more and more niche, as manufacturers phase them out completely.

This is driven by market preference for autos, combined with more control of the engine/transmission for emissions testing, leading to it not being worth our while guv, to develop and certify a manual version.

However, I think some of the more unicorn manuals will be worth more in the future in the second-hand market, as this is what will appeal to the more hard core enthusiast.

i was alerted to a similar article behind a paywall last week. i think the journalistic merit of the Guardian piece is zero.

i drove manuals for many years and enjoyed it, then forced to an auto (not a great one) in an AMG that i bought. Then due to my ankle and foot problems found i struggled to drive a manual. All my recent cars have been PDK boxes, and even at track days, the PDK enhances my enjoyment of driving the car.

But she's right, I am smug about my gear changing skillz. What can I say? It gives me a kick to make a seamless constant-throttle downchange or crowbarring in a pointless double-declutch for no reason.

But the availability of manual boxes will become more and more niche, as manufacturers phase them out completely.

This is driven by market preference for autos, combined with more control of the engine/transmission for emissions testing, leading to it not being worth our while guv, to develop and certify a manual version.
Also, driving a manual requires you to be more aware of the vehicle, engine speed and so-on. This means you are more likely to be engaged with the actual task of, you know, driving. Which means you are more likely to be more alert and aware of your situation. Which makes you safer. Cars which automate everything, are quieter and more isolated from the external environment, and offer high levels of passive safety, just allow the driver to disengage more from the task at hand.

Been on auto since I had my first BMW in the 90s and never looked back. I still drive manual on holidays abroad. My current 8 speed auto has manual modes but it is so responsive and smooth in auto that the manual modes are only used if I want to be a bit of a hooligan.

If your only experience of an auto is a Nissan CVT then it’s akin to saying you don’t like Yorkshire Puddings because you’ve only had Aunt Bessie’s.

The ZF 8-speed auto that BMW have used for over a decade is brilliant.

As stated previously, there’s a time and a place for both types of gearbox. Loved the manual in my old 996 Porsche which was as smooth as silk. I once had a John Cooper Works MINI which only came as a manual - and rightly so!

• Zoe Williams is a Guardian columnist and a bear-baiter The image of Jeremy Clarkson with the article is (veggie) gravy to Guardian believers.

I read the Guardian but avoid the ‘f.u. boomer’ obvious shite.
(That doesn’t leave much !)

I've never driven a car with a manual transmission, and I probably never will. I don't see the point. I also enjoy other decades-old automotive technologies like power steering, ABS, power windows, and automatic cruise control.

That's interesting, I assume you not in the UK then. In the UK it is still rare for a small learner car to be available as an auto. In fact my daughters best friend really struggled getting to grips with a manual change and did the auto test and the choice of suitable small cars is very limited or expensive.

When I was learning to drive in the very early 80's auto was almost unheard of except for massive luxury cars.

Also, driving a manual requires you to be more aware of the vehicle, engine speed and so-on. This means you are more likely to be engaged with the actual task of, you know, driving. Which means you are more likely to be more alert and aware of your situation. Which makes you safer. Cars which automate everything, are quieter and more isolated from the external environment, and offer high levels of passive safety, just allow the driver to disengage more from the task at hand.

i cannot agree - in fact i think i concentrate more on the road and my surroundings in an auto than i ever did with a manual. My auto is not quiet......

Manuals and automatics both have their place. Context is everything. In a rush hour commute, or on a congested motorway, an automatic is much less physically annoying than constantly having to work the clutch, and is generally more relaxing to drive. But a manual, on a good road, in the right circumstances, can be great fun and the automatic won't provide anything close to that.

Spot-on.

As for the renowned ZF auto in a BMW as someone posted above...hmmmm.. generally very good, but it'll still be in the wrong gear as you enter a bend, and even with less than spirited driving, when you ask for a little power you end up with a slightly lurched down-change, at just the wrong moment. It just ain't perfect. Yes it wafts along nicely and for 90% of the time it's great. But that 10% of time it's better taken over on the paddles... grrrrr . If I bought another one, I'd be seriously split over whether to have the ZF auto again, or a manual if it's available.

That's interesting, I assume you not in the UK then. In the UK it is still rare for a small learner car to be available as an auto. In fact my daughters best friend really struggled getting to grips with a manual change and did the auto test and the choice of suitable small cars is very limited or expensive.

When I was learning to drive in the very early 80's auto was almost unheard of except for massive luxury cars.
The UK has a peculiar dislike of autos.
In SE Asia only taxis (with slipping clutch) and boy racers have manuals. Many small car models are auto only or the manual option costs more

Spot-on.

As for the renowned ZF auto in a BMW as someone posted above...hmmmm.. generally very good, but it'll still be in the wrong gear as you enter a bend, and even with less than spirited driving, when you ask for a little power you end up with a slightly lurched down-change, at just the wrong moment. It just ain't perfect. Yes it wafts along nicely and for 90% of the time it's great. But that 10% of time it's better taken over on the paddles... grrrrr . If I bought another one, I'd be seriously split over whether to have the ZF auto again, or a manual if it's available.

Hmm, I think your gearbox has a problem then. I have had two of these gearboxes and never experienced these lurched kickdowns. If I am in the M235i then I am usually in sport which holds a higher gear so the requested little extra power usually does not need a gear drop. When I had the X5 even tootling along, progress was always smooth and no sense of the gearbox grabbing gears at any time.

Spot-on.

I think it's easy to either use a paddle or click the gear lever over to the left to enter manual mode, careful use of the accelerator at the correct time to eliminate a lurch on change down. That's how it works on my German car but it's not a BMW.

Manual mode's great for engine braking downhill too but i've seen too many Case gearboxes killed by that to use it aggressively.

There are a lot of Electric Learners in Milton Keynes now. Then again we have as many chargers as roundabouts and it must save a fortune in fuel bills.

Anyone ever read such drivel as this about cars?
I haven't read it entirely, but I agree. The manual evangelists all believe being able to change gears themselves makes them better drivers than people who prefer automatics. Which is of course total nonsense. Being a good driver is about a hell of a lot more than just being able to change a gear with a lever. But manual lovers will rant on about it endlessly. If it brings you some form of enjoyment fine, but don't go telling people it makes you a better driver as so many are prone to doing.

It's like the complaints I see so often about Porsches (usually by US reviewers most frequently it must be said) where they whine on about the gearing being too long and how that totally ruins the car because it means they can't spend their time continually changing gear. I just roll my eyes.

Oh and the "I want to control when the car changes gear because I'm better at it than the car is" argument is at least 10 years out of date now. Modern auto's be they torque converters or double clutch variants are so sophisticated they are better at the actual act of changing gear and also at when the gear change should happen most optimally than even the most experienced drivers. But they won't (usually) let you bang the car against the limiter, so they're "no fun". boo hoo.

This is what passes for "journalism" these days. Something to read that makes no sense, is not informative at all, but keeps the reader busy for a few minutes. Completely pointless. And that patronising crap about someone's "identity" being linked to being able to change gears. Utter drivel.
You don't watch much in the way of youtube car reviews do you? If you did, you'd realise just how often people bang on about not having a manual option in a model or when they review a manual how much better the car is because of it. Then there's car forums that are just full of people who'll very happily tell you you can't drive if you can't drive a manual.

advertisement

Back