advertisement

Sound quality of different electricity providers using tunemethod.

Changing electricity suppliers probably won't change anything except the company name on your monthly bill. ...But running a dedicated line from your breaker panel for your Hi-Fi can be an improvement.

As it is an accepted fact that the source should be put first in hifi systems of any quality, I was wondering if anyone had experience of changing electricity suppliers, say from E.ON to NPower. Or, if you are into streaming, is it better to change internet provider first?
I think a much more audible difference will be noted between suppliers using different nuclear, coal or renewables.

I found using nuclear generated electricity the PRAT seemed better defined. Whilst using coal generated from my previous supplier there was definitely an improvement in the inky black silences.

Coal dark sounding , Tidal sounds a tad more fluid , Solar sounds a bit bright & Nuclear has more sizzle
Generate my own power for a decade Run off-grid for years on PV " The sun never sends you a bill !

I don't see how any comparison can really be valid if you don't take the basic step of having your own dedicated utility pole installed.

I know someone who had a dedicated 3-phase supply installed to his purpose built, detached, listening-building.

It truly is an unspoofable hobby...

I know someone who had a dedicated 3-phase supply installed to his purpose built, detached, listening-building.

It truly is an unspoofable hobby...
You've just reminded me - an old mate of mine had a three phase supply installed in his front room to power a big Krell amp. I never understood the logic, assuming there was any?

Is anyone marketing audiophile mains cable? If not that’s a prime opportunity right there.
Russ Andrews used to, and maybe still does, sell their twisted version for hifi mains installations. It may well be the same stuff as in their leads. I was slightly tempted 2 decades ago then saw the price and how much I'd need. Good ol' T & E is fine; 4, 6 or 10mm2 depending on requirements (2.5 mm2 much too thin for radials i.m.o., though this is what I used in the eighties and again in the nineties.

The power supply here in Fife keeps going on and off this afternoon. I am getting two obviously different sounds from the system when on. It reminds me of my 1970s Quad (57) system which only came on song after a blink at 2100 each evening. Damn

advertisement

Back