advertisement

Man Bags

How about a muzette, as used to transport food and water on the tour de france? Cheap, practical, disposable.

I remember a period in the late '70s early '80s when all the trendy young ladies in Rome were going to a fishing/shooting shop and buying bags designed for carrying shotgun cartridges. They were beautifully made in a "greasy" leather. There was also the "borsa di Tolfa," cheaper and made in a small town north of Rome. Everybody, male and female, had them. And now they seem to have come back into fashion. Google "Borsa di Tolfa."

Am I the only one who finds cargo trousers uncomfortable? The way the fabric rubs on the legs when the pockets have any load puts me off. Unless it's like wearing wellies and the hairs on the legs get rubbed off. Of course I started wearing wellies on a regular basis before I had hairy legs and didn't stop until I was 40 when I stopped being a farmer ;)

I remember a period in the late '70s early '80s when all the trendy young ladies in Rome were going to a fishing/shooting shop and buying bags designed for carrying shotgun cartridges. They were beautifully made in a "greasy" leather. There was also the "borsa di Tolfa," cheaper and made in a small town north of Rome. Everybody, male and female, had them. And now they seem to have come back into fashion. Google "Borsa di Tolfa."
Those are very nice and look to my uneducated eye like any traditional women's handbag. That a similar shoulder bag is very suited to carrying shotgun shells or fishing gear or anything else doesn't surprise me.

My ex wife is a designer of leather goods and has worked at some of the top fashion houses so I went through a phase of buying man bags, getting some at a discount and even for free. Most of them are big enough for a wallet, keys, phone, and a small camera. Such as this Bally:

https://www.bally.co.uk/en/products/mackao-leather-crossbody-bag-in-black-6238759/

Heavily discounted please Jezzer! I think something this size is what I’m going to go for though. Looking at Carhartt, I want more of a casual look.

Cheers BB

It’s very interesting how threads like this and the fragrance thread bring to the fore notions of ‘manliness’.

A working definition of homophobic is to use terms used to describe homosexuality in a negative way to deride or put something/someone down. It may be unconscious bias, but it’s unpleasant none the less and not acceptable on pfm.

Thanks

I have various rucksacks but they are useless for albums, especially in mailers.

I found this many years ago in TKMaxx - just right. I would prefer any colour but black, but it responds well to decorative patches.

IMG-1533.jpg

Stepson bought a man-bag a few years back. He walked downstairs with it over his shoulder and I said "I like your handbag" - He got in a right mood and never used it again.

It's funny, but if my GF asks me to hold her handbag while we are walking somewhere. I try to hold it in the most manly way I can (and that's not easy when it's pink and glittery).
When my wife is driving and she puts her handbag on my lap I find it intensely irritating and instantly throw it onto the back seat. I also hate it when she asks me to hold her handbag anywhere else. (I expect someone will come along now and say I am a homophobic closet-something and a crypto-fascist.)

It’s very interesting how threads like this and the fragrance thread bring to the fore notions of ‘manliness’.

A working definition of homophobic is to use terms used to describe homosexuality in a negative way to deride or put something/someone down. It may be unconscious bias, but it’s unpleasant none the less and not acceptable on pfm.

Thanks

Well done -

When my wife is driving and she puts her handbag on my lap I find it intensely irritating and instantly throw it onto the back seat. I also hate it when she asks me to hold her handbag anywhere else. (I expect someone will come along now and say I am a homophobic closet-something and a crypto-fascist.)

Sounds like your wife knows that these things irritate you and is grinding your prejudices/gears

Thanks

The whole subject of "womanliness" and "manliness" is fascinating. I know, for instance, that when my grandfather went to America in 1940 he was shocked to see men pushing prams. And even up to the 1960s, a woman never left the house without a hat and gloves, and would never smoke on the street.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You’re a homophobic cryptofascist. Signora keeps her bag on her lap while I drive. I call it her baby, but I hate to think what would happen if the airbag was tripped.

advertisement

Back