advertisement

Man Bags

I hate carrying things in my pockets and whilst working carry everything in a messenger bag, apart from my mobile in my back pocket.

Outside work I put everything in Mrs BB’s handbag, which is causing conflict, as it’s Car Key, House Keys, wallet and Reading glasses, as a minimum. I am being encouraged to get a man-bag but I am resisting as I think they look very uncool. The local youths carry small designer bags across their fronts, which look ridiculous!

What do other people do/carry.

Cheers BB

IS650513-01-01-BIG.jpg

Whilst I do have a small bag I never put my phone, wallet or keys in it.
Too easily nicked I reckon.

I’ve currently got two, a Tucker & Bloom, and a UDG messenger bag, the latter more able to carry full record mailers to the post office. Obviously anything that can’t hold a stack of vinyl is just useless to me, but I use the UDG one for standard household shopping at Tesco, Asda etc, and it has held up fine.

I’ve also got one of these UDG trolley bags, but sadly the days of being able to fill one of those with records from high-st charity shops is long, long gone! I used to be able to head out to pretty much any random town and come back with it full! Record fairs too. I’ve had it for a very long time now, so mine is likely an earlier version, but it is a very good strong bag.

3089376783_9ef8efb4c9_c.jpg

Here it is in That London back in 2008 when I picked up my TD-124. The chassis is in the trolley bag, the platters in the shoulder-bag, which was a nice Tresor one which sadly wore-out and split long ago. I move so much vinyl around I do wear these things out, so respect to the linked UDG stuff, it really does take the punishment.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ve been wearing multifocal contact lenses for about nine or ten years now. Not having to carry reading glasses with me was liberating.

I have the car key, with fob, in my pocket, together with the minimum house keys (3) with their own fob. I’m slimming my wallet down, and paying for as many things as possible by ApplePay on my phone. A bag of any sort would be a pain in the arse.

I've had man bags for years - a liberation for carrying all the normal man detritus, including iPad, wallet, keys, sunnies, passport - ideal for getting slashed off my shoulder by a Stanley knife on Oxford Street and losing everything in one go! Not me, but it happened to a mate :eek:

Hedgren have a good range, and I've had a bag from Tumi for more formal wear

I hate carrying things in my pockets and whilst working carry everything in a messenger bag, apart from my mobile in my back pocket.

Outside work I put everything in Mrs BB’s handbag, which is causing conflict, as it’s Car Key, House Keys, wallet and Reading glasses, as a minimum. I am being encouraged to get a man-bag but I am resisting as I think they look very uncool. The local youths carry small designer bags across their fronts, which look ridiculous!

What do other people do/carry.

Cheers BB

You'll lose you keys, wallet, glasses - you've been warned ;)

I’ve got a 13” Cambridge Satchel Company Batchel. They’re expensive, but found a beautiful like new one on eBay for less than a third of the price. Just perfect size for phone, sunglasses, hat, glasses wipes, car keys and wallet. Not sure how I managed before!

I’ve had an older model of this for around 15 years.

Deuter Unisex Speed Lite 13 Hiking backpack (pack of 1) https://amzn.to/3qYtMfg

Still going strong, and a great day-bag.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks for suggestions so far, Rucksacks are a definite no, I take one on long dog walks, I don't want to use one when out and about. I have a messenger bag already, I'm looking for something smaller, to be worn with smart-casual clothing.

Cheers BB

Army surplus shops usually have a range of utilitarian bags.

This, particularly if you don't want something poncey, expensive and ridiculous.

I've got an East German NVA shoulder bag. I think its cool :cool:

I mostly carry things in my jacket, trousers but that’s because heat is rarely a problem in Scotland. However, this doesn’t work on holiday in South Europe when it’s too hot for a jacket so I got a man bag for all the extra stuff - passport, car docs, travel insurance etc.I actually got a woman bag, as the the range of sizes, pockets etc was better. This worked well until I started worry about theft. My wife’s bag was snatched through the open window of the car in France (hot day). I grabbed at the disappearing bag and got the strap but the tug of war left me with the strap and the thief with the bag- not too successful!
So I then got the system that has worked well for me ever since: a lightweight hunter’s waistcoat. This has lots of zipped pockets inside and out and feels like a secure solution without being too hot. The only thing was, it was getting a bit shabby so I thought to get a newer one. The French sports shops only did camouflage vests that year which I don’t like; the following year there must have been more fatalities because all the waistcoats were dayglo orange! So I stuck with the useful but shabby one.

advertisement

Back