advertisement

What are you cooking tonight?

Dishes pictured here are so strange to me. Nothing at all like what we usually cook here.
I’m always very surprised whenever I go to the UK. So bizarre food. Not bad, but so different, in a nice kind of way. I guess you feel the same when you come to France :) A British friend once told me our recipes were too rich.

@chartz - mais oui.

We might point at that chap Escoffier, and his regimen of mis-en-place, Sauciers etc. I mean blokes dedicated to making sauces - really..? Added to which - Escoffier even had the audacity to train Hồ Chí Minh as a pastry chef.

Honestly!

;)

Back on the hipster crap tonight

b876q8.jpeg
looks very healthy!

Spoilt last night. O/H away at short notice so a neighbour took pity and invited me over for supper. Fish pie (J Sheekey recipe), chocolate parfait and local cheese. Great wines too. Fabulous meal, lovely people. Tonight, if I don’t eat in the pub, it’s back to earth with what I can cook (not a lot). Rib eye, frites and a glass of something red.

Apparently today we are having leftover roast chicken pasta bake with mushrooms & mozzarella. Garnished with freshly ripped basil and parmesan cheese (if I get my way)
The roast chicken was nice and garlicky, so licking my chops in anticipation of that.

Vegan koftas...soya pieces, cumin and powder seeds, coriander seeds, powder and fresh, chili flakes, cardamom seeds, onion, garlic, celery, tomato puree, bread crumbs, chia and flaxseeds....Rolled into balls...then bake for 40 minutes (turnover at 20 minutes) at 200°C...Sometimes I do an accompanying tomato sauce.

thinly sliced rare roast beef that we cooked yesterday whilst the oven was on for the tartiflette. Warm garlicky potato salad. Tomato, red onion, caper salad with balsamic. Salted cucumber salad drizzled with white wine vinegar and anointed with dill.

Remaining roast beef will be used for lunch tomorrow

Slow roast pork belly with an accompanying boulangere of celeriac, parsnip, sweet potato, potato and onion. Apple sauce to sharpen it up a bit.

Ragu puttering away right now. Boiled penne, basil leaves and unhealthily large amounts of grated grana padano will complete the dish later.

Ragu puttering away right now. Boiled penne, basil leaves and unhealthily large amounts of grated grana padano will complete the dish later.

love a ragu - last one we made was pork, beef and veal mince. i think we prefer shin of beef simmered for many hours though.

love a ragu

I’ll use most anything remotely appropriate - ribs left over from a roast, bones from osso bucco (although I’ll already have eaten the marrow) but today it was 200g or so of ground beef. Prosaic but still delicious after hours on the stove then finished with basil leaves and decent cheese.
I also took a punt on Asda ‘extra special’ chianti classico and it’s very good with a plate of gorgeousness - a bargain at the modest price.

On some weird diet so eating peculiar stuff like bulgar wheat !
But applying a french casseroley type thing to the stuff came out ok.
Fry up some onions and carrots a while. remove to casserole. Fry up chicken bits. Add to other stuff.
Make a stock inc some decent white wine. Bung the wheat and fried suff in the casserole. Fry 1 min. Add stock and cook at 140 for more that 2 hours.
seasoning ofc.

love a ragu - last one we made was pork, beef and veal mince. i think we prefer shin of beef simmered for many hours though.
I've done a few, and think it needs the pork for sweetness; a beef-only ragù just isn't the same.

(and a glass of good, dry white wine per kg thrown in, of course)

advertisement

Back