advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt III

Steve Vai has finally been vindicated as a version of Ralph Macchio's guitar solo with the original audio has emerged.

Thanks to @palindrome for alerting me to this thread. Nice to see there's a place for us guitarists on PFM :)

Yesterday was a new guitar day for me. Went to the guitar store with my cousin and spent an enjoyable 3 hours trying different instruments through different amplifiers. We tried a '61 custom shop strat vs his Bravewood strat vs a PRS Silver Sky (I loved the Silver Sky - really wish they made a left hand version). He also tried a few semi-hollows (Eastman, D'Angelico and a Gibson). All of this was into a Two Rock Studio Signature head an 4x10 cab. Lovely.

He did most of the playing being right handed. I spotted this lovely SG out of the corner of my eye and plugged it in not expecting much, but was in love from the first chord. It felt wonderfully alive and resonant. Almost like it was giving back more than I was putting in. It was als wonderfully articulate for a humbucker equipped guitar. Almost single coil like at times. I couldn't leave without taking it home :D

Gibson SG 61 Standard by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Lefty

This is a great lesson from Paul Davids and Ariel Posen. A huge amount of stuff in there and just at right level to (literally) stretch my playing in challenging but cool ways. Just getting those 4 triad / chord voicings at the start properly fretted and sounding clean are weeks of useful progress for me.

Had the pleasure of seeing Ariel live in Birmingham last year. What a player!

Lefty

Thanks to @palindrome for alerting me to this thread. Nice to see there's a place for us guitarists on PFM :)

Yesterday was a new guitar day for me. Went to the guitar store with my cousin and spent an enjoyable 3 hours trying different instruments through different amplifiers. We tried a '61 custom shop strat vs his Bravewood strat vs a PRS Silver Sky (I loved the Silver Sky - really wish they made a left hand version). He also tried a few semi-hollows (Eastman, D'Angelico and a Gibson). All of this was into a Two Rock Studio Signature head an 4x10 cab. Lovely.

He did most of the playing being right handed. I spotted this lovely SG out of the corner of my eye and plugged it in not expecting much, but was in love from the first chord. It felt wonderfully alive and resonant. Almost like it was giving back more than I was putting in. It was als wonderfully articulate for a humbucker equipped guitar. Almost single coil like at times. I couldn't leave without taking it home :D

Gibson SG 61 Standard by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Lefty
WONDERFUL ! That’s exactly the feeling I'm looking for when shopping for a bass guitar. Congrats.

That SG looks very nice. Is it light weight? I really want to try an SG Junior at some point, it may well be what I’ve been looking for.

WONDERFUL ! That’s exactly the feeling I'm looking for when shopping for a bass guitar. Congrats.

Thank you! :)

That SG looks very nice. Is it light weight? I really want to try an SG Junior at some point, it may well be what I’ve been looking for.

Thanks Tony!

Yes, it's wonderfully light weight, which I think contributes to its resonance. I need to weigh it but it's easily under 7lbs. I'd wager 6lbs 6oz.

SG Juniors are wonderful. I'd love one too

The latest TPS is well worth a watch for fans of SGs :D

Lefty

Any ideas or opinions on best classical guitar strings .
I pretty much stopped playing seven or eight years ago.
Two reasons, my neck problem was making my fingers clumsy and our dog, clearly a discerning critic, used to howl along with me.
I kept the guitar up to tune but have now realised it is either time to move it on or start again as a kind of physio. (Dog, alas is no more and I will play when no one else is in the house. No point in causing unnecessary suffering)
I have always used La Bella strings as my first teacher used them but perhaps it’s time for new strings and a new brand.
John

Lefty

A friend loaned me his for a week a while back - also a CS version, he bought off a pro for a pittance:

yrFC5G7l.jpg

Had the same experience as you Lefty - an absolutely wonderful thing. The nicest tone I've ever got from anything with hum buckers, and the harmonics just jumped out of it, with only the slightest provocation. Loved it, and have been trying to justify the spend on one ever since :)

Had a couple SG's, but not the one I shoulda bought..

I tried a diy paint disaster battered SG old dog, in a dingy cambridge shop about 89. Had a thick urgh baseball bat neck, £300. I mulled on it, but it looked so crap, & I had zero know-how at 17 that I could've just renovated it. Light, prolly an early 70's standard or so. Sustained, resonant, had the magic. Argh regrets regrets..

Bought an SG standard, like the lefty above, in 91 & it looked fabulous.. but more weighty, the neck ott thin this time (& moved rather alarmingly) & just lacked the spark. Bought another SG much later, a used faded 2003.. nice neck on this, but even more weight, & so devoid of any spark it just felt like some (too dense) wood with pickups on.

It's all to do with whatever wood they used, earlier, the better. This is my view on SG's. The lighter, the earlier, the better the wood, the better -the feel- & the sound. Add some early pickups.. & there's the magic (like the 60's stunner above).

It may be a new one like this above, is either an exception, or the new reissues are made of good, lighter, therefore more resonant mahogany. I'd be very surprised if so though. I still hanker after one, but a light one way out of my budget anymore. Missed the SG boat me.

I'm sure the science behind what makes an electric guitar resonant isn't that complex whatever the tone buffs/theorists might have you believe, and that the big manufacturers have well got their heads round this. For whatever reason - cost, availability of woods, manufacturing variability, position of the planets on the day of assembly - Gibson SGs do seem to vary a lot in terms of how they sound though, even the high end ones. I notice it particularly with things like pinch harmonics, usually I struggle to get decent ones - but on that particular SG in the photo it was effortless.

The guy who owns that one has two Custom shop models incidentally. Says the other one is nowhere near as good.

It's that variability in quality that has put me off buying one because most of the ones I like the look of come up online, and it's going to be a lottery as to whether they are going to sound good or not so good :(

I admire his sensible attitude of having separately wired pickups so the guitar keeps working if you saw it in half with a circular saw during a live show.

His approach to pickup replacement is an interesting alternative to TPS Mick’s too. Always nice to see an alternative perspective.

^ I've a 'Vintage' SG not unlike that one of your Minio. Stuck a couple of DiMarzio style Chinese pickups into it and a S/H Epiphone wiring loom into it because the original pickups were mismatched and one of the pots was broken. Quite a fun thing now - though still a lot short of the CS one :)

zo2Y2s9m.jpg

dCD0WqTl.jpg

A friend loaned me his for a week a while back - also a CS version, he bought off a pro for a pittance:

yrFC5G7l.jpg

Had the same experience as you Lefty - an absolutely wonderful thing. The nicest tone I've ever got from anything with hum buckers, and the harmonics just jumped out of it, with only the slightest provocation. Loved it, and have been trying to justify the spend on one ever since :)

That is utterly gorgoeus! Especially with the maestro vibrola.

Lefty

advertisement

Back