advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt III

Spent a couple of hours at the show this morning. Didn't take many pictures but a couple might be of interest. Two of Peter Green's collection coming up for auction

PXL_20230225_110251944.jpg

Some rather expensive Les Paul's for those with £300k to spend. No that is not a typo.

PXL_20230225_105006187.jpg

and back in the real world I am very happy to have come home with this lovely Faith Neptune in Mango wood with Trembesi binding. Absolute Music had a selection of Faith one off prototypes available so I'm glad I got there early. Unfortunately no electronics onboard on this one but I will probably get something fitted in the future.

PXL_20230225_140607564.jpg
At £300k for a guitar, do you know if the case is included ?
.............never mind, going back to my basement to play on my £200 Squier bass !

Has anyone ever tried "Nashville tuning" when recording music? That is (as I understand it) a twelve-string guitar with only the high-octave strings fitted. (the "B" and high "E" would still be standard gauge).

It is supposed to sound good in the mix, leaving the mid-range space free for other stuff. Thought I might give it a try sometime. I have an old, badly bashed EKO 12-string kicking about the workshop.

I'm not, I think I'd get depressed not being able to afford.. well anything whatsoever! I've been offered tickets foc but it's a bit far. I should do really though..

But my cabinets are on show: Rift Amps, & Emprize Amps will be there, my two best customers.

Had an enjoyable day there with a pal yesterday. He found himself another guitar so is happy. I didn't see Rift there but may have missed the stand. The Emprize amps look very nice, the owner was very helpful and I'm almost hoping that one of my amps packs up now!

YouTube documentary on Outsider Music and The Shaggs here:

(Which sort of makes the point about everything I don't like about that Rin record).

Which you might follow up with some Outsider Art and fascinating story of Henry Darger.

Thanks for those @matthewr, but not my bag at all unfortunately. I think I must be too mainstream . . . or something.

Re: Ren - I'm full of admiration for his considerable talents, and facility to channel his struggles in a positive way through music, but it did nothing for me purely as a listening experience.

John

FWIW I don't like Ren at all and find the whole thing about him utterly perplexing. There far more about mental health and 1000 times more humanity and soul in something like this and than anything about Ren and his battle with, er, Lyme disease.

My band did our first pub gig on Friday and when we came to get paid at the end of the evening, they said we don't pay bands directly anymore you need to go through 'Event UK'. I'd never heard of them, but I guess it's easier for the venues and probably just the way it's done these days.

To use Event UK it seems you need to fill out a form with lots of details: NI number, Unique tax ref number and other stuff as well as giving bank details (for payment) and photo ID. Not too arduous but I'm always wary of giving away too much personal info.

Anyone have any experience with Event UK?

--Ian

What makes this song great is back with The Killers' "Mr Brightside". Yay! Great guitar song and I'll be able to learn how to play this:

"Tuned down half step" (always a pain but no biggy)
"Main riff is just three chords" (happy face)
"Dbadd9, Dbmaj7/C, Gbmaj13" (sad face)
"Picking pattern is actually pretty hard" (gives up)

Oops I posted the wrong Shaggs cover. It should have been this one:

Andrew Thoreen is recording covers of the whole "Philosophy of the World" album, but he's been releasing them one song at a time over the past couple of years, in spurts, all with different collaborators. I think it's nice that he's doing these songs irony-free.

I suppose though that even with a "respectful" cover of a Shaggs song there still must be some inherent irony.

It cracks me up that the bassist in the "Things I Wonder" take is reading a chart.

advertisement

Back