advertisement

Ban on petrol and diesel cars from 2030

Bob is one of the biggest EV haters on here. I have no idea why he is so offended by them.
I don’t hate EVs.
I just like pricking the pomposity of their fan bois.
Illustrated by the moronic post by Rockwhatsit.

I don’t hate EVs.
I just like pricking the pomposity of their fan bois.
Illustrated by the moronic post by Rockwhatsit.

You mean the people who buy one to “save the planet” while driving 1/4 mile to drop the kids off to school or the weekend trip to the out of town shopping centre?

I'm thinking of getting a nice new Chinese EV to save the planet and the children of tomorrow.
And impress the neighbours of course.

I've not read this entire thread so sorry if there is some repeition but here's my take in EVs. In regards to 'saving the planet' they are nowhere near there. Yes the little kiddies of next generation will have better air quality and that's a good thing but the problem of waste from the batteries and the raping of the earth to produce them to seems to me to be just moving the problem. We're already heaping battery waste all over the world with phones, computers and now we add cars to the mix. Personally, at this point in time, I think you are better off buying a petrol car second hand where the environmental cost of building it has already happened and just trying to drive a lot less. I also think that competing tech such as hydrogen might supplant the current battery tech and, I truly hope, make battery waste history.

Plenty of room for improvement yes, especially battery weight. But they're already a lot greener even taking into account production.

https://assets.publishing.service.g.../attachment_data/file/739460/road-to-zero.pdf
"a battery electric car is estimated to have greenhouse gas emissions around 66% lower than a petrol car and 60% lower than a diesel car. Between now and 2050, we project electricity grid emissions will fall by around 90%, with total greenhouse gas emissions from electric vehicles falling in parallel.
These vehicles deliver both air pollutant and greenhouse gas emission reductions under all driving conditions.
The results are clear: battery electric vehicles have substantially lower greenhouse gas emissions than conventional vehicles, even when taking into account the electricity source and electricity used for battery production."

No advocacy, just a real world example for you to chew over. I needed a taller car to get my very aged parents in comfortably so moved from a hybrid Ioniq to a hybrid RAV-4 back in April. I enjoyed the 60mpg of the Ioniq but relieved and pleased to find the much bigger RAV-4 returning just over 54mpg.

A brief update: now that the heaters, wipers and lights are almost always on, mpg has fallen to 52. Still not shabby for a Chelsea tractor.

A brief update: now that the heaters, wipers and lights are almost always on, mpg has fallen to 52. Still not shabby for a Chelsea tractor.
That's very good. Added to which the pace of change is enormous. Even 2-3 years ago EVs didn't really work in the real world unless you were prepared to carefully manage them. These days they are a viable option for many people. I know our factory general manager has one, he has a lengthy commute and a fair few business miles, but it works.

There will be some future for ICE cars, my fear is it will only be for the Clarksons, Chris Harris' and Smees of this world who want to still punt around in a million £ Ferrari or Porsche to generate more money for themselves on youtube...

If petroleum becomes very limited in supply at the forecourt, the real world enthusiasts of more modest ICE cars will be subjected to keeping 50L barrels of E5/E10 petroleum at £3 per liter in their sheds (legality issues not withstanding), or google around for a unicorn petrol station miles away that has the right fuel and hope they have enough to complete their journeys.

Last edited:
Just read in the NYT that the price of EVs in the US is projected to drop below the cost of ICE equivalent cars this year. Far earlier than expected. Lithium prices are down, production ramping up, Federal rebates around $7K.* Factor in lower service costs, I can only see the transition accelerating in the US, further driving down prices. Great news IMO.

*NYT: But arguably the most powerful force driving down prices is not the commodity markets or Washington.As electric vehicle sales soar — rising 66 percent in the United States last year to 810,000, according to Kelley Blue Book — automakers are getting better at making them.

There will be some future for ICE cars, my fear is it will only be for the Clarkson's, Chris Harris's and Smee's of this world who want to still punt around in a million £ Ferrari or Porsche to generate more money for themselves on youtube....

My fear is that apostrophe abuse will continue to worsen.

If petroleum becomes very limited in supply at the forecourt, the real world enthusiasts of more modest ICE cars will be subjected to keeping 50L barrels of E5/E10 petroleum at £3 per liter in their sheds (legality issues not withstanding), or google around for a unicorn petrol station miles away that has the right fuel and hope they have enough to complete their journeys.
Thats in interesting point. Hopefully it will many years before the demand drops off to that extent.
I have a collection of classic vehicles and it will be interesting to see how the future pans out, but I'm also in no rush to part with them. I love owning them
My own car is diesel and expect there will be no problem obtaining that in my lifetime.

The Road Warrior movie?

advertisement

Back