advertisement

Ban on petrol and diesel cars from 2030

The top end of the car market is well on its way to being electrified. Porsche (not quite exotic these days, but still car-magazine fodder) has had its Taycan out for a while now, and Maserati’s next GranTurismo will be offered in an electric version this Summer. If a GranTurismo is too cheap or practical for you, its MC20 two-seater will be available as an EV too from next year (in the less stratospheric reaches of Maser’ pricelist, you can also have the Grecale small SUV in an all-electric version soon as well). For those whose money-to-taste ratio tips heavily towards the former, Ferrari will have a flagship EV in 2025, and Lamborghini are doing an EV too for 2028 or so.

I think diesel fuel will be the last to go, as it’s used for industrial purposes (and aviation!), but regular petrol may become harder to find by the middle of this century.

I’ve forgotten most of my physics thing to do with refining crude oil, but: if you’re still sucking oil out of the ground and taking out lubricants and diesel and all the rest, won’t you still have petroleum as a product too?

I’ve forgotten most of my physics thing to do with refining crude oil, but: if you’re still sucking oil out of the ground and taking out lubricants and diesel and all the rest, won’t you still have petroleum as a product too?
You will, I think that the difference will be that it goes into other petrochemical manufacturing and isn't sold as fuel.

It will be interesting to see the future for long distance HGV's without diesel.
Anyone who's driven through France overnight and seen the many 1000s of hgvs parked up on the hundreds aires on their runs down to spain.

Imagine if they all needed an electric socket ! They are even parked on the sliproads in and out of the services.

Chris Harris can carry on, but a world without public attention for the other two is one of the better adverts for widespread adoption of EVs.

Celeb car personalities will adopt whatever is desirable in FOMO or that will net them more views ...

20 years ago, pre-dating youtube vloggers, most high profile car journalists sneered at turbocharging, now all the aspirational and 'award winning driver's cars' has a turbo or two bolted on motor...

I was told this was why the wholesale cost of heating oil dropped through the floor durin lockdown. Curious, I did a quick google:

FSC432fig4.png

No expert in this field, but it depends entirely on how the crude is cracked as to what products are released. For sure, there will always be lighter fractions, but I don't think these lighter fractions will necessarily result in petrol being produced. There are probably uses for lighter fractions (e.g. solvents).

I would think so. I remember, from school, a sort of tower with nasty tar coming out of the bottom, then various oily stuff above that, and petrol close to the top. With gases being burnt off (hence the flame you sometimes see at oil refineries.)

Celeb car personalities will adopt whatever is desirable in FOMO or that will net them more views ...

20 years ago, pre-dating youtube vloggers, most high profile car journalists sneered at turbocharging, now all the aspirational and 'award winning driver's cars' has a turbo or two bolted on motor...
Twenty years ago most turbo cars were crap to drive, simple as that. Now, they’re extremely driveable, even if most sound very one-note and boring.
A turbo is a necessity for power/emissions//economy now, with liquid fuels.

Twenty years ago most turbo cars were crap to drive, simple as that. Now, they’re extremely driveable, even if most sound very one-note and boring.
A turbo is a necessity for power/emissions//economy now, with liquid fuels.

My father had a 1980 Saab 900 turbo. Floor it, 3…2…1….blast off!

I am test driving a BMW 330i tomorrow, it’s far too fast etc but I’m worth it. Yes I really am a massive hypocrite.

What comes of it who knows but it will be thirstier than my 520d but I do fewer miles than ever. Basically an eco warrior these days.

I am test driving a BMW 330i tomorrow, it’s far too fast etc but I’m worth it. Yes I really am a massive hypocrite.

What comes of it who knows but it will be thirstier than my 520d but I do fewer miles than ever. Basically an eco warrior these days.

The old straight 6? Lovely motor. When I first met my wife, she’d just bought a new 328i (1999). At that point I knew she was a keeper!

Depends on the age of the 330i.
Only the m340 has the IL6 these days in a 3.
Rest are the 4pot twin scroll turbo I think.

Ah, see above..

I do agree about the 328 / 325, they were amazing.
I have one now in a 545- de tuned to around 270bhp.

advertisement

Back