advertisement

Ban on petrol and diesel cars from 2030

I assume you know that there are already plenty of EVs on the market that can do this?

There are a few now, but of course massively more expensive to run than my current petrol car.

I suspect when I change my current car in a few years it will most likely be to an EV, but for the moment the numbers just don't stack up.

Well wait ... Toyota UK currently have a 15 year warranty on their hybrid batteries (as long as you service the car with Toyota).

Most Toyota hybrids you see are mild hybrids (albeit of an advanced type that can drive fully electric some of the time) and they weigh no more than a regular ICE vehicle with equivalent total power.

I drove the new Yaris for a day and if you want a small petrol car you can do a lot worse. Agile little thing and I got 70mpg overall! Was in the summer so let's knock off 5mpg in the winter.

Last edited:
282 miles range claimed, so less than @SteveG wanted (300 miles), quite a long waiting list for one and plug ugly.

Its only saving grace is it's cheap.

A decent spec one is about the same price as it'd be to replace my current C-Class estate with a new one (which is now a hybrid), so not that cheap as I know which I'd rather have.

Well wait ... Toyota UK currently have a 15 year warranty on their hybrid batteries (as long as you service the car with Toyota).

Most Toyota hybrids you see are mild hybrids (albeit of an advanced type that can drive fully electric some of the time) and they weigh no more than an ICE vehicle with equivalent total power.

Unsurprisingly, Lexus offers the same; as long as you have a hybrid health check (*) with them every 12 months / 10k miles (whichever is sooner), they'll cover the battery for 15 years.

(*) Not sure if you can have one w/out a service.

282 miles range claimed, so less than @SteveG wanted (300 miles), quite a long waiting list for one and plug ugly.

Its only saving grace is it's cheap.

sorry to be a pedant, but Steve said 250-300 mile range so it is at the upper end of his stated requirements.

In any case, I was replying to Thorn regarding the over 50k price.

sorry to be a pedant, but Steve said 250-300 mile range so it is at the upper end of his stated requirements.

In any case, I was replying to Thorn regarding the over 50k price.

That Kia probably does have sufficient range for my purposes - which is a bit of a harsh case as while it's only 160 miles between my Edinburgh and Cairngorms places, it's a hard 160 miles for an EV in the winter I think especially when you allow for a safety margin for detours and delays. There are also no services directly on the route (other than one on the M90) and the public charging points all require a detour and you'd just have to sit and wait while your car charged as they're not in service areas.

I think the discussion needs to move away from ‘now’ and move into the not too distant future.

The EV world will be a very different place in say five years time. We could all have a giraffe and dig out this thread then!

Steve, stick with a hybrid, you haven’t got the right mindset for an BEV (yet).

it would be better than a full ICE so you would at least be contributing something.

i think those hybrid Mercs are pretty decent overall, enough battery range so that 75% of the time you dont need the engine at all.

Steve, stick with a hybrid, you haven’t got the right mindset for an BEV (yet).

it would be better than a full ICE so you would at least be contributing something.

The current hybrid version of my car is only slightly more economical than my full ICE one.

My use case is a slightly unusual one as I don't do a lot of city driving any more and the majority of my mileage is made of up longer journeys.

Steve, My edit was too late. As i said, i like the hybrid mercs, at least the one i drove. I didn’t use the engine at all for some trips. But your use case doesn’t sound that good for one of these either.

While my new diesel is awaiting a Lamda sensor from Italy, the dealer has loaned me one of these.

Its enormous, but the most calming car I have ever driven. PHEV Hybrid, but I have yet to use the ICE (other than momentarily to hear/feel the 2.5 5cylc engine - it sounds glorious), done 60 miles knocking around on electricity, and the returning charge that city driving provides as I have no charging port.

If I could afford one, I'd buy one. Much better equipped and cheaper than the equivalent from German manufacturers, and I personally feel, much nicer than my friends Q5.

Heard today that my Polestar EV has been delayed for six months due to supply chain issues..... Ah well

I've a Polestar 2 on order as well. ETA was ~May, then early July, then end-Mar, and now end May. I'm expecting it sometime next year... Current car on 145k miles will need to limp on.

mmmm things not looking good for EV`s

announced today

A 'Tesla tax' for electric car drivers
The chancellor has announced electric vehicles will no longer be exempt from Vehicle Excise Duty from April 2025.

Currently there are different rates depending on the type of vehicle but electric vehicles are exempt.

They were always going to do that, same with a tax on charging. Once they get enough people using EV’s and the market develops it was only a matter of time.

Electric car VED was inevitable.

It is a myth that EVs are zero polluters. They let out no exhaust pipe pollution. The pollution comes from elsewhere, but it is still pollution.

I am highly enthusiastic for small EVs, but less so for large ones, which rightly should be taxed heavily via VED in my my opinion.

Best wishes from George

advertisement

Back