advertisement

Ghastly expressions you want to see the back of in 2011

'Bud', yes that's another one.

A while ago I went into a pub of which I was the licencee 30 years ago, and a young barman whom I'd never set eyes upon before greeted my with 'Hi Bud, what can I get you?' I recounted the woeful tale to a friend the following day. The next time I went into the pub, the customers all turned to me as one and said, 'Hi Bud...'.

For some reason they missed out 'and what can we get you?'. Bastards.

'That London' - Sorry, I know a few use it here, but it gets on my nerves - maybe because there's a secret meaning that I don't know about?

EDIT: Just Googled, and it's because of an old Harry Enfield sketch. Still annoying though...

I work with a diverse set of Army Staff officers and they roll out the management speak, wear it like a badge of honour; plenty of "stakeholders", lots of, "moving forward", "due diligence".... My favourite this week has been, "wax and stack", meaning to do a bit of work on a few similar projects, the "wax", and then "stack" them for working on later in the year.

The world of the Staff officer is awash with management tosh...

Top of my list is, "we are where we are", when clearly we are not "where" we are supposed to be.

I read in the business world of things being "leveraged" all the time - it was fine for Archimedes and moving the earth, but I can't really see the sense of the modern use, except as an attempt to sound impressive.
That is rife in my world of work. I do understand what it means, often said by people who don't understand quite how difficult any "leverage" would be to do, but with bean counters it gives the impression that they aren't throwing the previous work away and starting again.

And my other favourite this week, though completely private to my work place, "we have to fix the C2 gap between Div and Bde"....only the author of that was the person that ran the project that created that C2 gap in the first place; two faced, gets my goat every time....and breathe out and relax...it's Saturday tomorrow.

. on the floor.. when referring to any location outdoors, when the phrase should be .. on the ground…
Not a ghastly expression as such but coming from a background where this is not used means this is one that causes me much cognitive dissonance.

It strikes me that most of the expressions mentioned on this thread would, when they were first coined, have been pithy, perhaps also witty use of language and metaphor. The annoyance comes from overuse and misappropriation; it’s the bovine, unthinking deployment of the phrase du jour that irritates, not so much the phrase itself.

It strikes me that most of the expressions mentioned on this thread would, when they were first coined, have been pithy, perhaps also witty use of language and metaphor. The annoyance comes from overuse and misappropriation; it’s the bovine, unthinking deployment of the phrase du jour that irritates, not so much the phrase itself.

Bud ur over thinking it IMO. Just an evolution of language from niche to mainstream. simples

advertisement

Back