advertisement

Ghastly expressions you want to see the back of in 2011

That is rife in my world of work. I do understand what it means, often said by people who don't understand quite how difficult any "leverage" would be to do, but with bean counters it gives the impression that they aren't throwing the previous work away and starting again.

And my other favourite this week, though completely private to my work place, "we have to fix the C2 gap between Div and Bde"....only the author of that was the person that ran the project that created that C2 gap in the first place; two faced, gets my goat every time....and breathe out and relax...it's Saturday tomorrow.
WTF is a C2 gap? I only know C2 as part of a spine.

'Bud', yes that's another one.

A while ago I went into a pub of which I was the licencee 30 years ago, and a young barman whom I'd never set eyes upon before greeted my with 'Hi Bud, what can I get you?' I recounted the woeful tale to a friend the following day. The next time I went into the pub, the customers all turned to me as one and said, 'Hi Bud...'.

For some reason they missed out 'and what can we get you?'. Bastards.
I had someone trying to "bud" me. He was an arsehole with whom I'd dealt before. His company was supplying meat to ours, the quality was abysmal. After several complaints and promises to resolve it, we again received a delivery of junk. I sent a snotty email to their technical manager, usual stuff about repeated broken promises, signal failure to effectively manage quality, cannot tolerate, blah blah. The TM passed it to the MD who rang me up and had a go. After a full and frank exchange of views he started getting personal, gave me some abuse, swore at me and hung up. Very professional. Fast forward a month or so, he wasn't getting invoices paid, so he rang up and got me. No, I don't know why the M.D. is chasing a couple of invoices either.
"Hiya bud, it's XXX from XXX, yeah, I'm ringing up about these invoices ... can't get through to your director..."
"Oh yes, I remember you. We spoke before."
"Yeah bud, thing is that these invoices are past due, I'm chasing them up."
" Yes, as I say we've spoken before. I do remember that conversation "
(Got you now you bastard, you are getting nothing from me until I hear an apology!)
"Look bud (again!), thing is I just want to get these invoices cleared off buddy. ...blah blah"
"I'm sure that you do. The thing is, I'm technical, I don't pay invoices, you need to speak to our director..."
"WxxKER!" (Clunk)
Wxxker yourself. Now who's laughing? Pay your own invoices.

I subsequently came across him again at another client company, he was a new. supplier. I warned purchasing what to expect, my views were echoed by another technical person who had had the misfortune to deal with him previously. Purchasing went ahead anyway. Good luck, you'll need it. Bud.

"What good looks like" a director where I used to work used this, often. I'm convinced she only got the job because she was the daughter of the chairman of M&S (shortly before they started going down the pan. She created a "blue sky thinking" "outside the box" culture such that it was difficult to listen to any of her talks (or those of her favoured staff) without playing "w@nk word bingo."

Bloody GWR automated announcements, all of them, such as ' ...Bristol Temple Meads, where this train terminates.'

No. The service ends, not the train.

A small infraction except there's such a comparably illiterate announcement with, oh, fecked subject-verb agreement and sim, about every 20 seconds

advertisement

Back