advertisement

Ghastly expressions you want to see the back of in 2011

Please, I’ve posted some Harry Styles again today, and only got 3 points on my pfm Licence. I even do that annoying Twitter hashtag thing sometimes and get away with it.

#kompromat
Don’t dis PR and you might be safe for now. You’ll definitely be on The List though!

This thread came from the olden days.

While we're here, pfm specific:

Fishies & Chaps.

I quite like fishies and always used chaps in the past - not in pfm, just in general referring to collections of people. I don't use chaps or guys generically now in an attempt to use gender neutral language instead.

Stakeholder.

That is one that gets my goat.
vampire-kill.jpg

Mine too...

Rap Hands. Not really an expression, more of a ghastly 'thing' doing the rounds.

What I mean is the abominable proclivity for someone to use one hand (or usually both).. like a rapper does.. to emphasise what they're saying. It's toe-curlingly awful & I hope, like sentences starting with "So.." (another fad circa 2017) it just burns itself out. Rap Hands.

I saw it start from yoofs, of course, but I notice it spreading like a disease to adverts/ youtube/ news reporters, & it's going mental. And it's making me go mental. Thank god it has a hilarity to it because it's meant to be 'cool'.

Anyone know what I mean? I'll try add an example, some are hilarious.

Capt.

I heard/read somewhere that this is grammatically correct. I don't like or use it as it sounds horrible to my ears.
Correct. Its correct use in British English goes back centuries, it probably predates English being the dominant language in the USA. It's only recently fallen into disuse. I don't like it either but that's only because you hear it alongside other American manglings of the language.

Eee, I were but a lad when this thread began (and ended before that Richard. . .)

Now I look in the mirror, and think to myself, in a pedantic sort of way - oh boy, time sure does fly.

John

advertisement

Back