advertisement

Audiophile Network Switches for Streaming ... really ?

I wholeheartedly agree with what you said.

Some people do take the micky I agree and unfortunately, for me because I can see no mechanism for effect, network switches fall into that bucket on the lack of evidence. Okay, I can understand and accept that people can hear the difference. However, for me there is a clear linkage between hearing something and capturing that something through imperical measurement. My imagination is clearly being stifled by my scientific background :)

Very happy to agree to differ...

Shall we talk about the flat earth now? :p:cool:
Sorry but we can’t agree to differ… until you’ve given me the opportunity to demonstrate the difference of switch vs no switch. I can’t provide any evidence as a graph or numbers and have no interest in working hard to do so as those who demand would find some reason to question that data… but you don’t need imagination I can assure you.

Pop in, drink tea (china cups!), chat and listen. And then you can use your scientific experience to help me work out how to “prove” that what you will hear is an actual thing to people who aren’t there!

PM me

Sorry but we can’t agree to differ… until you’ve given me the opportunity to demonstrate the difference of switch vs no switch. I can’t provide any evidence as a graph or numbers and have no interest in working hard to do so as those who demand would find some reason to question that data… but you don’t need imagination I can assure you.

Pop in, drink tea (china cups!), chat and listen. And then you can use your scientific experience to help me work out how to “prove” that what you will hear is an actual thing to people who aren’t there!

PM me

They never do seem to take up offers like that...

PM me

They never do seem to take up offers like that...

I can see where "they" are coming from, I really can. There's a lot of tosh out there. But, hey, when did we decide we understood everything about the world and how it works and withdraw to our shells, refusing to some out until someone shows "evidence" that meeting foreigners in their homeland can be quite interesting, that it might be worth going to a concert by someone you've never heard of, that sunsets and sunrises are ok if you're in the mood...

Scepticism is fine, cynicism is not. If, through the proferring of tea, I can offer someone an experience which turns them from cynic to sceptic then I'm good. I'm on no evangelical mission, seeking to convert folk to my obviously 100% right way of viewing the world; I simply offer an opportunity to experience stuff which may or may not align with prior expectations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_fallacy

as pointed out by somebody elsewhere on the internet
Professionally I have encountered this fallacy quite often. As a practitioner, it has been sometimes very difficult to make good progress when being obstructed (often by by-standing non-practitioners) for not doing the job they insisted that I should be doing. Technology policy development and standards committee work have been some of the worst examples.

However, as a hobby, someone chasing their own idea of a perfection that may not exist seems perfectly OK to me even if it's not my way.

In audio, I long ago forgot any ideas about that way in favour of improving things that to me were not good enough, until they were. What I have now is good enough to not (for now) need any more improvement. But some still seem to insist that seeking their idea of perfection is what I must practice. Being berated for not trying out something others think is important, but I don't, is familiar and part of the normal human condition, I think.

Professionally I have encountered this fallacy quite often. As a practitioner, it has been sometimes very difficult to make good progress when being obstructed (often by by-standing non-practitioners) for not doing the job they insisted that I should be doing. Technology policy development and standards committee work have been some of the worst examples.

However, as a hobby, someone chasing their own idea of a perfection that may not exist seems perfectly OK to me even if it's not my way.

In audio, I long ago forgot any ideas about that way in favour of improving things that to me were not good enough, until they were. What I have now is good enough to not (for now) need any more improvement. But some still seem to insist that seeking their idea of perfection is what I must practice. Being berated for not trying out something others think is important, but I don't, is familiar and part of the normal human condition, I think.
I do think this plays both ways in threads like this.

I've not heard of this fallacy before now, but it seems to align with the old saw about not letting the best be the enemy of the good.

But yes, we can all seek our personal goals in the ways that suit us. And that may be by assembling a system of inexpensive components which measure impeccably, or it may be by tweaks, setup, and what some on here will class as 'foo'. Tolerance would be appreciated from both sides' viewpoints, I suspect.

I don’t see people at large being berated for not trying the ideas expressed in this thread so much as people who come to attack the ideas not trying them before dismissing them. There is an argument for saying that to the best of one’s knowledge inserting a switch at a particular point won’t make a difference, but that only takes one post and not a plethora of sneering posts banging on about fairies and unicorns. If only everyone looked at your posts to see how a measured point can be reasonably made!

I don’t see people at large being berated for not trying the ideas expressed in this thread so much as people who come to attack the ideas not trying them before dismissing them.

No ???

I tried the 'switch' switch with an open mind (fairly early on in this thread) ..

I found zilch difference in SQ with or without, later I was berated as having some kind of 'reverse expectation bias' and also subject to passive aggressive BS pretty much throughout. And yes, that did get my dander up .... and suck me further into this endless quagmire.

Regardless of what others may think or accuse me of, I'm not a diehard 'objectivist' or a 'cynic' and have tried loads of suggested tweaks and changes in the past ... some worked, some didn't.
That's just the way it rolls...

Last edited:
I don’t see people at large being berated for not trying the ideas expressed in this thread so much as people who come to attack the ideas not trying them before dismissing them. There is an argument for saying that to the best of one’s knowledge inserting a switch at a particular point won’t make a difference, but that only takes one post and not a plethora of sneering posts banging on about fairies and unicorns. If only everyone looked at your posts to see how a measured point can be reasonably made!

There is always this incredibly weak argument that suggests those of us that are sceptical have not tried. You need to try harder than that.

There is always this incredibly weak argument that suggests those of us that are sceptical have not tried. You need to try harder than that.
Sometimes, it's a reasonable inference from what is said by the sceptic, though. It's not automatically a weak argument.

advertisement

Back