advertisement

Audiophile Network Switches for Streaming ... really ?

I doubt many people use actual cash nowadays ... it's all digital transactions

You might be wrong there. I have found many people are going back to using cash. During covid my wallet had no need to contain any cash (notes) but now I find I am again carrying cash around for many things from leaving tips in restaurants to buying things from people who simply prefer cash.

Like I said; if a network switch is affecting the sound then something's fundamentally very wrong with the rest of the setup.

I would say it is more the case that experimenting with network switches may well give bigger dividends with possibly better set up systems. Almost certainly it would not be value for money to use expensive switches in systems where that switch would be one of the more expensive components and the money would be better spent elsewhere in the system but with already well sorted and revealing systems paying attention to the network (and switch) might well provide the icing on the cake to the sound quality. After all, it is generally fairly easy to demonstrate changes to SQ by changing network components and then people can then make up their own mind whether the money is better spent elsewhere in the system.

Like I said; if a network switch is affecting the sound then something's fundamentally very wrong with the rest of the setup.
But if bits are bits, and cables and stands don’t make a difference, and everything measures well enough, what could be wrong with the setup?

If only there was someone who made a switch that we all knew....
SuperSwitch - Master & Servant Bundle
Install a Master SuperSwitch just before your streamer and a Servant SuperSwitch just after your router: enjoy higher performance at a lower price by buying a SuperSwitch Master & Servant bundle, saving £99.

(£1,499.00)

I did this audiophile switch experiment and recorded my results in this thread way back on page 22 or 23. The short version of my findings is that whilst the English Electric 8 switch (bought used in the classifieds) did make a difference, that difference was small (a sort of fine polishing the rough edges off of the sound) and just about vfm for the £250 I paid. At the full rrp, nope, would have returned it within 48 hrs. I subsequently matched the 8Switch's SQ performance for a total cost of £39 (a used Zyxel 8 port and a Cisco 5 port small office switch, 0.75m Cat6 + 2x 80s style heavy Tx wallwarts) and sold the 8Switch for a profit which covered the Zyxel, Cisco, Cat6, wallwarts and a very nice 2 mains Indian takeaway.
Why or how the inclusion of a switch works, I don't give a monkeys chuff, at under £40 it was vfm to my ears, and that's enough for me.
Try it or don't, your choice, buy for <£25 from Amazon, if it does nothing for you send it back = £0 experiment.

Try it or don't, your choice, buy for <£25 from Amazon, if it does nothing for you send it back = £0 experiment.
This.

Many pages back I've commented that I too bought a Zyxel for about £20. It's by far the cheapest thing in the stack and if it was shite would have left long ago... It's still there.

It's not a lot of cash. I too have no idea why it works. But glad I tried it and its staying.

My EtherRegen was a worthwhile upgrade on ISP router at the time, it indeed further improved with an LPSU and Cat8 cables, I then "beat" the ER with a consumer QNap 2.5GB switch I'd "discovered" and felt awfully pleased with myself. Eventually weaned myself off all switches after many more (negative) tests.

So yeah, try it if that's your bag.

My experience was that I wasted time and lost money.

You might be wrong there. I have found many people are going back to using cash. During covid my wallet had no need to contain any cash (notes) but now I find I am again carrying cash around for many things from leaving tips in restaurants to buying things from people who simply prefer cash.

Seems you are wrong about that one as well :D

https://news.sky.com/story/lowest-d...rded-notes-over-millennium-bug-fears-12855543
"Lowest demand for cash since central banks hoarded notes over millennium bug fears
British banknote maker De La Rue issued a trading update saying it again expects profits to be lower, this time as a result of decreased demand."

advertisement

Back