advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

One of these -
s-l1600.jpg

To fit into one of these -
accuphase-e-480.jpg

And one of these - I know it's not a genuine Accuphase plug, but for £7.10 delivered it's worth a punt.
s-l1600.jpg

Latest buy was a Mutec MC-3+ USB used off e-bay . I has bought an Audio GD unit that does a similar thing which really surprised me and worked very well indeed . A new Mutec is around £1100 which is way too spendy for me so was going to stick with the Audio GD . Then this came along at a very low buy it now price and so just pressed the button .

A set of Gaia 2’s for my NS1000XW (sitting on a solid parquet floor with a concrete slab underneath) so wasn’t expecting huge changes as they are meant to be more effective on a floating floor, but **** me, I have not heard a more effective upgrade!!

The bass is deeper, tighter and more tuneful, the spacing between instruments is improved too, I can’t quite believe the difference.

Last edited:

Wharfedale 506.

Being a fan of the 505.2, I thought I'd give these a punt.

Turns out, much better than I thought and at least the equal to 505.2's. Slightly prettier too imo.

Driven by a Yamaha A-S801 they have a lovely sense of space around instruments with lucid mids and sweetly detailed top end.

Special mention to Steves Vintage-Hifi for the excellent packaging in which they arrived.

Ordered a new vivaldi apex dac and vivaldi upsampler to replace my rossini and clock. Very excited

Wow! That's £54k of kit; beyond my budget by a long way, but congrats on your purchase. It's good to hear about those who are prepared to invest so heavily in music reproduction.

Wow! That's £54k of kit; beyond my budget by a long way, but congrats on your purchase. It's good to hear about those who are prepared to invest so heavily in music reproduction.

Luckily for me I got my rossini and clock for a very good price years ago and with all the price increases I actually got more for it trading it in now than I paid.
But it's still a good chuck and the vivaldi clock will certainly have to wait a while and Luckily I have no interest in the vivaldi transport even though its very good.

Steampunk!!!

6-E04-CF44-9-E02-4-EC0-AFA0-5616-C8-FA6221.jpg" alt="6-E04-CF44-9-E02-4-EC0-AFA0-5616-C8-FA6221
They’re quite the giant-killer speakers. Stupidly good, really. If I’d just gone straight to these 20 years ago I’d have saved a fortune and a lot of time too….
I can’t tell from the picture, are the Solidsteel stands raw aluminium finish?

I can’t tell from the picture, are the Solidsteel stands raw aluminium finish?
Yes. They're SS-6 RAW finish stands with SS-5 top-plates (since the SS-5 plates fit the footprint of the Harbeths perfectly). Although the Genelecs are broadly the same overall size, since they're not conventional box shaped, the top-plates I have look a bit over-sized now so I am planning to have 150x150x20mm perspex top plates made up.

A John Shearne 3.5 power amplifier.
A Shearne amp has been on my ever evolving Want List for decades, and this popped up on ebay at an attractive price so I finally went for it.

For some reason I was expecting a warmish slightly cuddly sound. Kind of half way to a Quad.
Not a bit of it! The first and immediate impression was of transparency and transient speed.

It's been a few days now and I continue to enjoy listening through it.
Definitely impressed.

9pyDo0g.jpeg

Reactions: RoA

advertisement

Back