advertisement

Whaleblue I can’t help admit I’ve always wondered if they wander about in the night whispering exterminate!

It’s fine, we sleep on the upper floor, and as you know the supreme beings known as Daleks, to which these are clearly related, are thwarted by only one weapon mankind has at its disposal.

Stairs.

When these came up in the classifieds I immediately told myself to stop even looking. The Wilson Benesch Discovery 2s were/are fantastic, but I’d already decided that I needed bass in my life, and after an extended demo decide against*. I thought I’d look to scale back and save some money…

But, I live in Worthing.

Where these beautiful things call home.

They are B&W 802 D3s.

So, my resistance lasted only a week at most, and a long round trip (with excellent stop over!) ensued.

These have a similar quality to the Discoveries, but with another octave of bass. And that last octave of bass has significant impact on what you might associate with mid-range. I really, really, hope these are the grail.

Relatively poor pic, but just wanted to share my joy as I sit hear listening to them. At 95kg per speaker, I think I’m stuck with them. In the best way one can be stuck. Even Mrs Wb likes them, and she’s stuck with me, so there we go.

52462994865_fc7161b39c_c.jpg

* edit: forgot the p.s. Wilson Benesch have been fantastic. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

Nice... I had 800 D2's before upgrading a few years ago.
If you can, try Townshend Podiums under them. Big improvement in the bass and mid.
Coincidentally, I had WB's before the B&W's as well. Trinity and Torus'.
Enjoy.

When these came up in the classifieds I immediately told myself to stop even looking. The Wilson Benesch Discovery 2s were/are fantastic, but I’d already decided that I needed bass in my life, and after an extended demo decide against*. I thought I’d look to scale back and save some money…

But, I live in Worthing.

They are B&W 802 D3s.

So, my resistance lasted only a week at most, and a long round trip (with excellent stop over!) ensued.

These have a similar quality to the Discoveries, but with another octave of bass. And that last octave of bass has significant impact on what you might associate with mid-range. I really, really, hope these are the grail.

Relatively poor pic, but just wanted to share my joy as I sit hear listening to them. At 95kg per speaker, I think I’m stuck with them. In the best way one can be stuck. Even Mrs Wb likes them, and she’s stuck with me, so there we go.

* edit: forgot the p.s. Wilson Benesch have been fantastic. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

Wow - look beautiful
Do you feel tehy are 'right' for your room - and not 'oversized' '?

But, I live in Worthing.

They are B&W 802 D3s.

Very nice, @Whaleblue

Glad to see you're making use of the cover for the CD player! How you getting on with it?

Best

Wow - look beautiful
Do you feel tehy are 'right' for your room - and not 'oversized' '?

At the moment they’re at the limit.

However, we plan to replace the fireplace with a smaller multi-fuel burner, in an aperture that’ll be significantly narrower than the width of the fireplace.

We also plan to remove the small sofa that’s out of shot to the left, allowing the leather armchair to be moved to that end of the room, in turn giving more space for the rack to come out from the corner a little.

With all that done it’ll look a little less cramped. The room is 5.2 x 4 metres.

But, I live in Worthing.

They are B&W 802 D3s.

I had a demo of a pair at the R&D offices in Steyning many years ago, driven by a pair of Krell mono block power amps and Denon S1 CD player via a passive pre-amp. Its the only time I have felt treble...

Updated my office system by adding some speakers and moving things around. And, we've redecorated as the youngest has moved out.....

Have wanted to try some Spendor BC1 speakers for a bit and got a pair that are almost new to look at. I believe they date back to 1980.

Rest of the system:
Gato Audio Dia 250s integrated amp
Opera Consonance CD player
Chromecast Audio streamer

IMG-20221030-133022.jpg

IMG-20221031-112539.jpg

IMG-20221031-112603.jpg

IMG-20221031-112626.jpg

IMG-20221031-112637.jpg

IMG-20221031-120106.jpg

Speaker are a little closer to the wall than I would like but, all in all, so far so good.

Best wishes, Peter

Updated my office system by adding some speakers and moving things around. And, we've redecorated as the youngest has moved out.....

Have wanted to try some Spendor BC1 speakers for a bit and got a pair that are almost new to look at. I believe they date back to 1980.

Rest of the system:
Gato Audio Dia 250s integrated amp
Opera Consonance CD player
Chromecast Audio streamer

IMG-20221030-133022.jpg

IMG-20221031-112539.jpg

IMG-20221031-112603.jpg

IMG-20221031-112626.jpg

IMG-20221031-112637.jpg

IMG-20221031-120106.jpg

Speaker are a little closer to the wall than I would like but, all in all, so far so good.

Best wishes, Peter

A lovely looking, simple system and a very nice room too.

Perhaps you could post a few lines about the good (bad?) of this rather unusual combination of BC1's and your amplifier.

A lovely looking, simple system and a very nice room too.

Perhaps you could post a few lines about the good (bad?) of this rather unusual combination of BC1's and your amplifier.

Thanks for that. Yes will update once I've given them a bit more time.

Thanks for that. Yes will update once I've given them a bit more time.

Had a bit of time to listen and think that the Gato works pretty well with the speakers. I did have the Spendors in my main system for a bit too using a Denon 2500NE and perhaps they were a little better, but it's hard to know for sure as the room and placement are much better.

Was demoed with Quad 33/303 and they sounded good with that combo.

All in all I've found the Gato to work well with a broad range of speakers (Tannoy Cheviots and Dynaudio Special 40s for example).

Reactions: RoA

advertisement

Back