advertisement

Cyclists to be awarded equality with motorists.

So, the summary then is perhaps percentages of investment vs return, safety vs practicality of legislation, targeting those that need reining in without collapsing the eco health and family playing lifestyle, courtesy to others, education, understanding different road users from the smallest to largest types of transport and the hazards we can unwittingly or arrogantly cause each type.

Unless you’re a politician I guess latching onto a missed opportunity with unworkable targeting of cyclists. Is that only the preserve of the right though? Genuine question as I only know I used to like the occasional gammon but not since politics claimed ownership of the phrase seemingly towards conservatives, I should probably look it up.

Background noise makes them pretty much inaudible. I always say “coming through” or “on your right” when climbing, bells don’t really inform other riders where you are.
Couldn’t disagree more, a lot of the time there’s no road noise to speak of (again, certainly the case in my experiences) and if you hear a bell and can’t see anyone they are probably behind and approaching you - it’s warning.

Anyone that thinks motorists are a discriminated group can go piss up a rope as far as I'm concerned. Cars are fun, but open access to huge hunks of metal that we can hurtle ourselves around in has led to the atomisation of communities, thousands and thousands of deaths, huge environmental costs, under investment in other forms of transport and millions of man hours spent in traffic that could have been spent more productively or enjoyably.

Couldn’t disagree more, a lot of the time there’s no road noise to speak of (again, certainly the case in my experiences) and if you hear a bell and can’t see anyone they are probably behind and approaching you - it’s warning.
OK, you die on that metaphorical hill. I’ve never had a problem.

So, the summary then is perhaps percentages of investment vs return, safety vs practicality of legislation, targeting those that need reining in without collapsing the eco health and family playing lifestyle, courtesy to others, education, understanding different road users from the smallest to largest types of transport and the hazards we can unwittingly or arrogantly cause each type.

Unless you’re a politician I guess latching onto a missed opportunity with unworkable targeting of cyclists. Is that only the preserve of the right though? Genuine question as I only know I used to like the occasional gammon but not since politics claimed ownership of the phrase seemingly towards conservatives, I should probably look it up.
Well, it’s a Tory policy, probably aimed at their base. Having said that there appear to be plenty of people across the political spectrum who hate/fear cyclists. IMV it’s just basic ignorance but as humans we have the ability to learn & grow.

The last time I tried cycling, about 10 years ago, I fitted a loud bell. I needed to use it regularly, mainly to alert dozy pedestrians, but also other cyclists on several occasions. I am puzzled by the disdain for bells. Are they considered uncool, or something?

The AA appear to have come out against these plans. I think number plates will not happen or, probably, speed limits & insurance.

It’s dog whistle politics.

There never was a plan to introduce number plates/speed limits/insurance, it was all made up by the newspaper’s involved to garner clicks n’ headlines to deflect other issues.

Doing it for shits n’ giggles, ****s, they’re all ****s

Being a cyclist again. I knew this, but am reminded that assholes are assholes.
Nothing to do with who i am, what I drive, how old i am, the speed i go or what I wear.
Somehow, eventually, the assholes turn up.
But mostly, it's an ah free experience if i am considerate.

Take responsibility.

Being a cyclist again. I knew this, but am reminded that assholes are assholes.
Nothing to do with who i am, what I drive, how old i am, the speed i go or what I wear.
Somehow, eventually, the assholes turn up.
But mostly, it's an ah free experience if i am considerate.

Take responsibility.
I reckon cyclists behave like irritated assholes because that's what happens to it if you spend too long in the saddle.

I’ve been out on the lanes here a lot on the road bike recently and am happy to report that I have not had a single close miss or verbal abuse from other road users. So, so far, most folk appear to be resistant to Shapps attempts to drag cyclists into the culture wars.

The last time I tried cycling, about 10 years ago, I fitted a loud bell. I needed to use it regularly, mainly to alert dozy pedestrians, but also other cyclists on several occasions. I am puzzled by the disdain for bells. Are they considered uncool, or something?

I have a bell on all 3 bikes. In the past we considered them too heavy and uncool. Nowadays I realise they are extremely useful.

Generalisation alert:-

I find it quite interesting how different people respond to the bell. There is an optimum distant to "ding" that gives people time to hear it, recognise what it is and then take any neccessary action. Young people are generally amazing, they hear it at 100 yards and immediately take sensible evasive action with no delay or dithering. The older people are, the slower the processing speed, very old people will only hear the bell when you are very close, then there is a delay of 1 or 2 seconds whilst they figure out what it is, then they look round and then panic/dither for several more seconds before taking slow but erratic action. I try really hard to pass as carefully and non-agressively as possible but it's difficult not to startle some people.
I've learnt to look for the tiny earbuds some people use. Nothing you can do with these people - just pass as safely as possible.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back