advertisement

Scottish Politics II

I am only the messenger here and have no horse in the race but it was also the continuous banner headline on Sky News before I went out and I am quite sure you can find out easily enough

I don't have a TV. But I'll listen out for it on the radio.

Found it. BBC News Scotland.

"Labour and the Conservatives have called for the SNP's Westminster leader to resign for backing a colleague who was suspended for sexual misconduct. The Daily Mail reported that it had obtained a recording of Ian Blackford urging fellow MPs to give "absolute full support" to Patrick Grady.
In the recording of the SNP's Westminster group, the Daily Mail reported that Mr Blackford said he "would encourage" them to give "as much support as possible" to Mr Grady.

The latest sitrep that explains quite well how things are right now.

Nicola Sturgeon to reveal route map to second independence referendum
Source : The National

Nicola Sturgeon reveals new independence plan and says 'the people's will must prevail'
Source : The Herald

Scottish independence: Is there a mandate for another referendum?
Source : BBC

Scottish independence: 19 October 2023 proposed as date for referendum

If the court rules that Holyrood does not have the power to hold referendum, she said the next general election would become a "de facto referendum" with the SNP standing on a single issue of independence.

However, if the court rules in the Scottish government's favour, Ms Sturgeon said it would move quickly pass its Referendum Bill, which was published while Ms Sturgeon was speaking.

The first part above is interesting. In the 2019 GE the SNP achieved 1,242,380 votes out of 4,053,140 registered voters. I wonder if she/they will accept a similar result in 2024 as a ‘No’ vote, which it clearly would be.

Anyone still insisting Labour could enter into a coalition with the SNP to form a UK govt after the next GE, or even enter into any agreement with the SNP need to rethink, imo. It has been obvious for a long time why such an arrangement or agreement would be difficult, if not impossible, but what has been announced today by Sturgeon should clarify it.

Scottish independence: 19 October 2023 proposed as date for referendum

The first part above is interesting. In the 2019 GE the SNP achieved 1,242,380 votes out of 4,053,140 registered voters. I wonder if she/they will accept a similar result in 2024 as a ‘No’ vote, which it clearly would be.

Anyone still insisting Labour could enter into a coalition with the SNP to form a UK govt after the next GE, or even enter into any agreement with the SNP need to rethink, imo. It has been obvious for a long time why such an arrangement or agreement would be difficult, if not impossible, but what has been announced today by Sturgeon should clarify it.

Lol

Johnson tells Fernández Falklanders and Ukrainians they are entitled to self determination;

https://en.mercopress.com/2022/06/2...and-ukrainians-entitled-to-self-determination

Self Determination: limited availability, offer not available in UK.
Ukraine has been invaded, people are being killed because they want to be Ukrainian and the Russian invaders need to lose/be removed.

The Falkland Islands was invaded in 1982, people were killed because they want to be British and the Argentinian invaders had to lose/be removed.

I don’t take this lightly given I was in the Services 1975-1987. Can you explain the relevance of your post because I’m not seeing any similarity with Scotland being part of the United Kingdom?

Please, get on with it and hold a ref this October, FFS. 16 months of circular arguments!
I count six Scottish Politics/SNP/ Independence threads on pfm- none of which were started by Scottish fishies or for that matter any living or voting in Scotland. Do you spot a pattern, can you have a word?

Maybe more non Scots would like it to happen than Scots?
I’ve not seen English polling data on the subject but the Scottish poling trend is unequivocal. Perhaps you can contact your MP and ask that the money sent to Scotland is stopped and spent on tax cuts instead? Let’s get this done.

XW5J2Lo.jpg

advertisement

Back