advertisement

Streaming is inferior to redbook CD playback?

Choice by voting? I guess so...whats more of a concern is truth being chopped up like spam..go onto google and choose which truth fits?

You could add Google to the list. The company whose then chairman once said "Our policy is to get right up to the creepy line but not cross it."

A decade or so later Mr Schmidt and his over-entitled cohorts couldn't find the creepy line between now and next Christmas.

Other search engines and browsers are available.

My CDX2 is superior to my NDX2 playing the same CD/rip.
That´s logical, the CDX2 is optimized to play CDs.
The NDX2 streams and plays Tidal, internet radio, rips, pens, etc...

My CDX2 is superior to my NDX2 playing the same CD/rip.
That´s logical, the CDX2 is optimized to play CDs.
The NDX2 streams and plays Tidal, internet radio, rips, pens, etc...
The CDX2 has a very different sound to the rest of the Naim range so I'm not surprised it sounds different to the NDX2.
The CDX2 just streams on the fly from a rotating disc into its DAC. The NDX2 streams from a local or cloud services.

It's impossible to check though, any original analogue masters would likely be more degraded with time than the effects of that old jittered process
Ry Cooders Bop Til You Drop was the first popular all digital recording and cited by Ry himself as problematic
There was no analogue tape to compare.
For older recordings that went via tape, the original masters are frequently lost in the archive fires

Because of early adc jitter?
Its anybodies guess what the performance of these early digital mixing desks was really like.
What I do know is that back in the 80s the only ADC parameters we worried about were resolution and linearity. It was when they started using them in radio receivers, that engineers began to realise that they misbehaved when sampling higher frequencies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_number_of_bits
Some of this loss of resolution was due to jitter and could lead to some very non-random idle noise

I have just downloaded Audirvana Studio and streaming Tidal wirelessly to my WiSA Soundsend box, to my active speakers from my Tablet via the laptop, no wires or cables Other than the power cables to my active speakers, and it shows that I am getting 24/96 MQA on quite a few Albums/Tracks, is that better than CD Redbook playback?

The CDX2 has a very different sound to the rest of the Naim range so I'm not surprised it sounds different to the NDX2.
The CDX2 just streams on the fly from a rotating disc into its DAC. The NDX2 streams from a local or cloud services.

He said superior..
I didn't know cd players are also streamers, maybe that's why they sound so good..:)

I have just downloaded Audirvana Studio and streaming Tidal wirelessly to my WiSA Soundsend box, to my active speakers from my Tablet via the laptop, no wires or cables Other than the power cables to my active speakers, and it shows that I am getting 24/96 MQA on quite a few Albums/Tracks, is that better than CD Redbook playback?

If you don't have any cd player or audio cd, than yes!

Personally I'd have my doubts, but then again it's you who is listening to it, not me. So if it sounds good to you, go play some more music.

No reason to doubt, would you like a screen shot?

Will I able to tell how it sounds from that? You must have fancier apps than I can muster round these parts.

Funnily enough I tripped over a folder of 'Music' apps just this morning while setting up a new Mac. BitPerfect, Audirvana and Pure Music. To be honest I'd forgotten I'd bought a license for that one. Couple of long-forgotten utilities as well, eg AirFoil 5, of which I have only the vaguest of recollections.

B Flac Converter too. Not unhappy to see the last of that, but can't recall ever having any Flac files.

Probably because I, uh, converted them.

No, because that would be down to each component of a system, but the app (Audirvana Studio, which is relatively new) will show waveforms, track frequency response and Audio HD profile and parameters etc, and it is free for a month, once you get your head around it is quite easy. Laptop is on Windows 10 and tablet is android.
Well worth it just to test it out.

No, because that would be down to each component of a system, but the app (Audirvana Studio, which is relatively new) will show waveforms, track frequency response and Audio HD profile and parameters etc, and it is free for a month, once you get your head around it is quite easy. Laptop is on Windows 10 and tablet is android.
Well worth it just to test it out.

Still not going to give even the remotest clue what it sounds like though.

Is High Res Streaming so superior to good redbook CD playback? Is it actual night and day difference in sound quality that makes someone spend eternal direct debit fees for streaming...? I don't think I have ever heard a high res recordings and I don't get any obvious messages from HiFi/Audio internet info that listening to HiRes music is actually a 'no-brainer' decision. I listen to Cd's, free spotify and youtube. My listening is still quite discernable despite that I am now middle aged, and can tell the difference between a compressed recording and a good recording. A lot of my listening is via headphones and dac- computer. I hear a lot of good recordings and relish the sound they give (espescially in Classical recordings) So I am curious would the hi res recordings be so different and enhancing that I have a wow moment and afterwards can never return to Cd recordings...?

Is High Res Streaming so superior to good redbook CD playback? Is it actual night and day difference in sound quality that makes someone spend eternal direct debit fees for streaming...? I don't think I have ever heard a high res recordings and I don't get any obvious messages from HiFi/Audio internet info that listening to HiRes music is actually a 'no-brainer' decision. I listen to Cd's, free spotify and youtube. My listening is still quite discernable despite that I am now middle aged, and can tell the difference between a compressed recording and a good recording. A lot of my listening is via headphones and dac- computer. I hear a lot of good recordings and relish the sound they give (espescially in Classical recordings) So I am curious would the hi res recordings be so different and enhancing that I have a wow moment and afterwards can never return to Cd recordings...?
Hi res is considerably better than youtube or spotify..but if you have a good cd player or transport/dac..you may find your cds are as good if not better than hi res..re discernable listening, i think if you heard hi res on qobuz you wouldnt go back..there is so much quality stuff on qobuz..you like Mahler? Mahler 4? there are so many recording to compare with eachother if thats your thing? No bloody adverts like on youtube.. My mate streams Spotify at work. It sounds horrible..hi res and the massive choice of music and the new music every friday for 12.99 a month....i am a stingy git and I don't begrudge it..

Get a Qobuz free trial. Tons of hires and Cd quality recordings of classical music, many of extremely high quality. Decide for yourself.

Get a Qobuz free trial. Tons of hires and Cd quality recordings of classical music, many of extremely high quality. Decide for yourself.

Can I get a free trial with Qobuz without having to give my financial details to them...?

advertisement

Back