advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson: IV VONC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want him to lose the VONC but part of me also wants him to remain and destroy the electoral chances of the Tories for many years.

Totally agree but unfortunately there’s no effective opposition the Labour Party are finished as an electoral force certainly for the foreseeable future.

Thatcher had a few redeeming features, e.g. the BBC Computer Literacy Project, the Enterprise Allowance Scheme etc. The impact of both are still hugely felt today. Much of the UK’s dominance in IT dates from this time, plus huge numbers of great businesses started on the Enterprise Allowance scheme in all fields e.g. games development houses, record labels etc. I’d describe the ‘80s UK hi-fi scene as inherently Thatcherite. Make of that what you will!

I don’t think you can find a single positive for David Cameron, Theresa May or Boris Johnson. Each one a 100% liability bringing only jingoism, division, poverty, visceral racism, corruption and vast inequality and economic damage.

Thatcher had no redeeming features, none, nada, zero she was a Cnut.

I can see no more than 130 MPs voting against him tonight, so technically “safe” for a year unless Graham Brady feels compelled to change the rules. Paralysis will almost certainly ensue.

Johnson will win the VONC, but interesting will be what the Covid Inquiry due in the spring reveals. The terms of reference have yet to be announced, but Scotland will be holding its own inquiry this year.

If the Covid Inquiry doesn’t reignite opposition to Johnson, something will, an inquiry into the legality of Rwandan deportations maybe? Another piece of red meat Johnson throws to his more rabid supporters? NHS underfunding might, at last, cut through?

Yes, there's more coming that will be bad news for him. That's why I agree that the VONC is too early to have a chance of success.

Suella Braverman was on Woman's Hour half an hour ago being grilled by Emma Barnett. She didn't do very well trying to deflect to Ukraine, Brexit etc when confronted with Bojo's criminality. Criminality being defended by our Attorney General FFS.

Yes, there's more coming that will be bad news for him. That's why I agree that the VONC is too early to have a chance of success.

I think Brady will change the rules (eventually) and that we won’t have to wait 12 months for another one. Rebels will be more organised by then, I suspect. Whatever happens, the public are fed up with Johnson. If he tries to lead the Conservatives into the next election, they will be toast.

Thatcher had no redeeming features, none, nada, zero she was a Cnut.

If, like me, you have spent a life working in both arts and IT, you can’t avoid giving credit for the IT literacy program and the Enterprise Allowance scheme. In every other aspect you are right, but those two things were total game-changers for huge numbers of people. I don’t think the UK would have a computer games industry without them. Ok, we can also blame her for Oasis as Creation Records was an Enterprise Allowance scheme business, so it wasn’t all good (though Creation did give us the Boo Radleys, who were a) great, and b) friends of mine).

I defy anyone to find a single positive for Cameron, May or Johnson’s Tories. They all just divided, trashed, killed and stole whilst running the economy and future prospects of the country into the ground. Utter scum. The absolute worst of us.

Is the objective to sink him today, or hole him below the waterline to sink by degrees? I suspect the calculation for Tories is that it will be a long process to get rid of him, so the sooner they start, the better the chance of getting rid of him just before the next election and get a bump in the opinion polls from having a new manager in charge?

Thatcher had a few redeeming features, e.g. the BBC Computer Literacy Project, the Enterprise Allowance Scheme etc. The impact of both are still hugely felt today. Much of the UK’s dominance in IT dates from this time, plus huge numbers of great businesses started on the Enterprise Allowance scheme in all fields e.g. games development houses, record labels etc.

I'm all for recognising the UK's achievements, but talk of "the UK’s dominance in IT" sounds like the sort of nonsense Marc Francois would come out with.

Is the objective to sink him today, or hole him below the waterline to sink by degrees?

The objective has to be to destroy the Conservative Party for long enough to implement a functional democracy and avert the UK’s decline into fascism. As such keeping Johnson in power is the logical first step. There is no way in hell he can win the next general election.

The objective has to be to destroy the Conservative Party for long enough to implement a functional democracy and avert the UK’s decline into fascism. As such keeping Johnson in power is the logical first step. There is no way in hell he can win the next general election.
Apologies, just edited my post for clarity. I was thinking about the objective for Tories, no one else gets a vote today !

I truly hope he is gone as his plan to rewrite the NI protocol could be highly damaging and only sows division and we have had enough of what that can bring on this island.

also the longer he stays and does things like break international law it makes it okay for the next leader to do similar things. If Trump never makes one more speech he is already done so much damage to the future of American politics the quicker you get rid of Boris Johnson the better.
.sjb

Is the objective to sink him today, or hole him below the waterline to sink by degrees?
That's an interesting question. Either promises much entertainment value. I do wonder what happens to those Tories who have been visibly and vocally critical of late, if and when he wins this VONC. I don't imagine they escape unscathed, so either they're confident he won't win the VONC, or they know he needs them in one context or another. They surely don't risk having the whip withdrawn as that'd put him in a minority government at a stroke. I rather hope he does it though, it'd remind me of one of those Ray Harryhausen movies where the stricken dinosaur flails about and its tail lays waste to all in the vicinity.

I'm all for recognising the UK's achievements, but talk of "the UK’s dominance in IT" sounds like the sort of nonsense Marc Francois would come out with.

Probably every mobile or IoT device you own has an ARM chip in it, as does pretty much every one on the planet. An Acorn designed chip initially developed connected to a BBC Micro. The iPad Pro I’m typing this on has a direct linage back to the BBC Micro, as does my iPhone 13. I don’t know what your knowledge of the multi-£bn computer games industry is, but a huge chunk of it owes its start to the BBC Computer Literacy project. Multi-£million companies that started out as a kid in their bedroom making games for the ZX Spectrum etc, later got on an Enterprise Allowance scheme, ended up as a huge software house developing for the Playstation, X-Box etc.

It is crazy to deny reality for partisan reasons. I absolutely detest Thatcher, but this happened.

If, like me, you have spent a life working in both arts and IT, you can’t avoid giving credit for the IT literacy program and the Enterprise Allowance scheme. In every other aspect you are right, but those two things were total game-changers for huge numbers of people. I don’t think the UK would have a computer games industry without them. Ok, we can also blame her for Oasis as Creation Records was an Enterprise Allowance scheme business, so it wasn’t all good (though Creation did give us the Boo Radleys, who were a) great, and b) friends of mine).

Thatcher destroyed the country and her poisonous policies continue to haunt us to this day yet you think she was fine because of the IT and music industry? Seriously?

BTW Alan Magee is another Cnut and btw I know what is background is/was and what his parents did nevertheless he's still a Cnut.

Delusional there's no alternative to the tories, none.

They are stabbing him in the face cause they know he can't win the election (see booing a sitting PM) but they'll win it with a monkey in charge.

Thatcher destroyed the country and her poisonous policy continue to haunt us to this day yet you think she was fine because of the IT and music industry? Seriously?

I’m not saying that. Please try reading my posts. They are aimed at an adult reading-age.

I’m not saying that. Please try reading my posts. They are aimed at an adult reading-age.

Are they aye?

Eff me, this place gets worse every day now we have the owner subjecting people to insults and childish ones at that.

Thatcher's brilliant Hurrah!

You really couldn't make this shit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back