advertisement

Yellow Porsche..!!

I thought it most considerate when he indicated going round the bend at 39 seconds in. They disable that on the road car.

Yeah, that's a 997 GT3 that can literally drive around the outside of a 996 GT3 on track BUT that misses the whole point of a car for me.

They need to be fun at more sensible speeds. I had a go in my mates 991.2 GT3 and realised that's not for me....they are a better car technically but not for me...this 996 GT3 is a little fighter :)

It's actually pretty docile on a cruise below 3,000rpm...well until you pull up at the lights and it idles sounding like a Skeleton in a blender due to the single mass flywheel and lack of MAF sensor :)
So is my decatted motorbike with the throttle barely open....open it up and oolala! 2 mins 22 seconds

This lads good to watch. His isn't a Manthey car but he's added a mental Dundon exhaust. The Manthey is a more restrained exhaust sound but combined with the Manthey Induction sound it's a really complex sound.

Yeah, that's a 997 GT3 that can literally drive around the outside of a 996 GT3 on track BUT that misses the whole point of a car for me.

They need to be fun at more sensible speeds. I had a go in my mates 991.2 GT3 and realised that's not for me....they are a better car technically but not for me...this 996 GT3 is a little fighter :)
TBH I'm not sure I'm up to driving anything like that on the road or track, but I hope you enjoy it - lovely machine! Mid-life crises are fun aren't they?

It's actually pretty docile on a cruise below 3,000rpm...well until you pull up at the lights and it idles sounding like a Skeleton in a blender due to the single mass flywheel and lack of MAF sensor

I notice you used the polite version of that particular simile.. :)

Beautiful car Andy, congrats. 911's have grown too lardy for me since the 996/997. The 996 is quite narrow which is perfect for spirited driving down country lanes.

Beautiful car Andy, congrats. 911's have grown too lardy for me since the 996/997. The 996 is quite narrow which is perfect for spirited driving down country lanes.

Yes, none of the 996 GT3's were widebody...even the RS model.

They actually made only half as many 996.1 Clubsports as they did for the 996.2 RS that everyone now goes £££ mad for. The gen 1 Clubsport Manthey is actually lighter and more powerful than the RS too. This one's got the bigger gen 2 front brake calipers too which was a weakness in the gen 1. Gen 2 is still the better track car out of the box though.

Last edited:
Lovely car, the 996 feels like a gokart on steroids.

Make sure the rear goes round the corner last!

Yes, still very playful car at near legal speeds and they diluted that as the newer models came out - they had to make them faster and more track focused to make owners want to upgrade. Thing is, less of these 996's are getting tracked now so their road manners is becoming a real bonus.

Seller's were offloading them 10 to 15 years ago as were sick of the newer ones walking all over them on track. I've heard a few stories of lads that went 996, 997, 991 and are now trying to buy their old 996's back.

This stock image shows the orange tinge to Speed Yellow color better..
Also what's happens when you stance one up on BBS wheels. They changed the headlights in the revamped 996.2 GT3 but for me that lost the links to the GT1 race car that is the base for GT3 engine.

Second image is an air cooled the same color

hkJfPHH.jpg

nPveFHA.jpg

Is it my imagination or is there a larger gap 'twixt rubber and wheel-arch on the front than the rear / negative rake on that 2nd car (The PJ2322 one) ?

You just need a snazzy private plate on that beast! Lovely looking motor, I bet it is great to drive

It's a K400 Manthey Racing kit.

"K40 OMR" plate was available here in NI for £250 so I've snapped it up and will print up shown below once you move the space.

The only other Manthey Clubsport this color/spec in the UK has English plate "K40 OCS". He actually 'found' me when I posted some images on Instagram so small world.

sQoOyi0.jpg

Even managed to find a genuine Manthey Motors bonnet badge on eBay last week.
Previous owner of the car had been looking for one for five years and had basically given up ...I got lucky

Manthey Motors became Manthey Racing and then Porsche took a 51% stake in them about 5 years ago to get them under their 'control'. Nice piece of history anyway.

3YhuIEI.jpg

Yes, still very playful car at near legal speeds and they diluted that as the newer models came out - they had to make them faster and more track focused to make owners want to upgrade. Thing is, less of these 996's are getting tracked now so their road manners is becoming a real bonus.

Seller's were offloading them 10 to 15 years ago as were sick of the newer ones walking all over them on track. I've heard a few stories of lads that went 996, 997, 991 and are now trying to buy their old 996's back.
The same applied to 964s in the early-middle noughties when they were c 15 years old and a bit of a Cinderella. Of course now the good ones, for which read little used, well maintained, no rot, are very expensive. Less so your then £11-12k example that had them done 100k miles, lived outside and might well now be on offer at an optimistic price, bearing in mind that it's now 30 years old and just might have a few things needing extensive maintenance after 150-200k miles.

advertisement

Back