advertisement

Stuff from the 70s. An all that.

WOW - just had a flashback to the Raleigh Fourteen that I had in the Seventies. I hated that bike.

Soon got replaced with a peugeot eddy merckx that only took racing tyres that were very expensive, and very little tread. Did miles on that bike.

LOL..yep this Twenty was superceded (except I've still got it...) by a Raleigh Arena...

anyone remember these lovely machines ?

I had a mk1 in blue with white lettering. The mk1 has a longer banana seat and a knob, rather than T-bar on the shifter. Sadly, I got too heavy for it and fractured a chain-stay. It was never the same again. I cannot believe the silly money these are fetching now.

I was born in 1983, but my dad had a similar red torch, but larger, it held two of those lantern batteries (sat vertically), I loved it and drained many batteries in it.:D My parents bought me a halogen one (black shock proof housing, waterproof, extremely bright for the time), wish I knew what happened to it. Loved torches and tape measures as a kid… still have a thing for torches, have quite a a few different Maglites.

Surely we al had one of these on a table in the hallway..

And whoever picked it up, told the person at the other end the geographical location of the phone and the number they had just fingered the dial with to call it.

“Sunbury 81786”

:D

x33V0xp.jpg

And whoever picked it up, told the person at the other end the geographical location of the phone and the number they had just fingered the dial with to call it.

“Sunbury 81786”

x33V0xp.jpg
Our village was so small our number was "Orton 429":rolleyes:

“Sunbury 81786”

x33V0xp.jpg

Here's mine - probably 70s, possibly 60s. The same goes for the Homepride man. I remember using it to listen to the Moody Blues playing Question on Dial-a-Disc. But your elaborate ritual isn't followed at the Towers - any member of staff answering a call is instructed just to say 'He isn't available, but was most definitely not responsible' then hang up.

51440098258_5671e4d065.jpg

“Sunbury 81786”

x33V0xp.jpg

I sort of miss pulse dial phones. The student union bar had a phone on the wall with no number pad - just buttons to dial local cab offices. But you could tap out phone numbers on the hangy-upy bit and make free calls. Very handy in pre mobile phone days!

Telephone Box's and the lollipop stick in the slot trick. Free phone calls.
Politically incorrect nowadays but It's what you did when you were hard up.

Tony I was expecting a different icon and an announcement you were being posted to Romania with half a dozen of them in shipping containers ( with spares).

5dsFZtJ.jpg
It’s funny. When certain organisations enquire as to whether us Cold War old gits can go on ops, a major sticking point is the cost of insurance! Plus I’d want at least £10k per month. And of course, as ex-RAF, I’d require at least a 4* hotel.

25526766058_c4ebbdefa0_b.jpg

This is the phone, obviously.

PS Yes, it works perfectly!
A Trim Phone!

Sadly I can remember on Esther Rantzen's 'That's Life' TV programme someone was featured who gave lessons to people who wanted to do impressions of a Trim Phone ring tone! There was also a dog who could say 'sausages':rolleyes:

TV was good in the 70s

Andy

A Trim Phone!

Sadly I can remember on Esther Rantzen's 'That's Life' TV programme someone was featured who gave lessons to people who wanted to do impressions of a Trim Phone ring tone! There was also a dog who could say 'sausages':rolleyes:

TV was good in the 70s

Andy
Yes that dog was brilliant. It still cracks me up when they show it on rare occasions.

advertisement

Back