advertisement

Highway Code Changes

probably better yes... the twat screeched to a halt locking up his tyres and tried to do a U turn right in front of me but stalled it! I had to use all my braking power and only just pulled up with about a foot to spare! If my reactions had been slower by a fraction of a second I'd have ploughed into the passenger side door. He deserved it.
Perhaps he just knows you from a forum somewhere? ;)

Does anyone have a link to the newly updated highway code? Struggling to find one that's definitely the latest version.

I had picked up only that pedestrians were to get priority (which is a charter for kids to cause chaos by hopping on and off pavements, should they so choose), but things are far more insane than that - all effective as of this coming weekend -

I had picked up only that pedestrians were to get priority (which is a charter for kids to cause chaos by hopping on and off pavements, should they so choose), but things are far more insane than that - all effective as of this coming weekend -

As someone has already pointed out, cars turning left may well have to stop for other reasons, such as another car in front of them in the side road, a parked car on the opposite side of the side road making an oncoming car move out to pass it, and so on. A lot of frothing about nothing, just clickbait. Besides, cars stop for all sorts of reasons anywhere, so traffic behind should be able, and ready, to stop safely anyway.
As for the nonsense about who should move first*, it's the pedestrian, then the car turning left, then the car turning right. Nothing to see here, move along. :rolleyes:
* Has he never been at a mini roundabout with everyone indicating right? Figure it out and stop whingeing.

As someone has already pointed out, cars turning left may well have to stop for other reasons, such as another car in front of them in the side road, a parked car on the opposite side of the side road making an oncoming car move out to pass it, and so on. A lot of frothing about nothing, just clickbait. Besides, cars stop for all sorts of reasons anywhere, so traffic behind should be able, and ready, to stop safely anyway.
As for the nonsense about who should move first*, it's the pedestrian, then the car turning left, then the car turning right. Nothing to see here, move along. :rolleyes:
* Has he never been at a mini roundabout with everyone indicating right? Figure it out and stop whingeing.
Nothing to see for the pedestrians that are going to be squashed.

People are as entitled to question the value and even safety of these changes as others are to believe they are good. These are the worst changes I’ve seen to the highway code since I passed my test in 1977 and it’s not whinging to say so. I care a lot about road safety, I see no benefit at all to the specific change referred to of a pedestrian waiting to cross at a junction. I certainly won’t be crossing with my dog at a junction when a vehicle is approaching to turn into my street.

These are the worst changes I’ve seen to the highway code since I passed my test in 1977 and it’s not whinging to say so. I care a lot about road safety, I see no benefit at all to the specific change referred to of a pedestrian waiting to cross at a junction.

I don’t agree. I suspect these changes will be very good legally for any pedestrian or cyclist injured by a motor vehicle driver. The current system placed far too much nuance on situations, witnesses etc, and it could be a real PITA getting compensation for injuries and damages. Now it is a lot clearer, pretty much to the extent that if a vehicle hits you they are liable and I assume can be sued.

I don’t agree. I suspect these changes will be very good legally for any pedestrian or cyclist injured by a motor vehicle driver. The current system placed far too much nuance on situations, witnesses etc, and it could be a real PITA getting compensation for injuries and damages. Now it is a lot clearer, pretty much to the extent that if a vehicle hits you they are liable and I assume can be sued.
I’m a pedestrian, a cyclist and a motorist.

Let’s see how many more accidents occur at junctions. As I say, as a pedestrian I won’t be budging while a vehicle is approaching the junction. Let’s hope pedestrians don’t take to simply walking across a road as if it’s not even a road, eh.

Your idea of clarity being great legally isn’t going to help a squashed pedestrian a lot.

When I am a pedestrian I never cross at a junction where there are no traffic lights. I always move down the road a bit. Then I only need watch out for two directions and not worry about anticipating anything else arriving round the corner.

And on the subject of traffic lights do these new rules apply at junctions controlled by traffic lights?
If so that is crazy.

If we are to encourage people to walk and cycle more, if we are to give people fewer reasons to take the car, then these small steps are, I think, small steps in the right direction. Prepare for larger steps in future.

If we are to encourage people to walk and cycle more, if we are to give people fewer reasons to take the car, then these small steps are, I think, small steps in the right direction. Prepare for larger steps in future.
As a pedestrian, I'm limited in the size of steps I can prepare for. Short legs, you see.

I agree with this. We have to start somewhere to change the mentality of those who can cause the most damage.

Intelligent Speed Assistance is also coming this year for all new models only, which is another step in the right direction.

Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) is also coming for new vehchles in mid 2022.

Both of the above should have been introduced years ago.

And whilst we're at it, I would love to see the use of a mobile phone behind the wheel receive a mandatory 3 month driving ban, together with 6 points and £200 fine or a week of the offenders earnings, whichever is greater.

I agree with this. We have to start somewhere to change the mentality of those who can cause the most damage.

Intelligent Speed Assistance is also coming this year for all new models only, which is another step in the right direction.

And whilst we're at it, I would love to see the use of a mobile phone behind the wheel receive a mandatory 3 month driving ban, together with 6 points and £200 fine or a week of the offenders earnings, whichever is greater.
I would actually crush the car of people caught using a mobile phone while driving, just so people don’t get the mistaken idea my concerns are based on over protection of the motorist. I believe this particular change is going to result in people being killed and for no benefit.

I believe this particular change is going to result in people being killed and for no benefit.

I just don’t see how, and I really don’t think you’re looking forward far enough. We need a change of culture, and this is the first part.

I drive.
I would give first offenders using a phone a life ban.

I doubt children know what the Highway Code is let alone read it. I doubt many adults do and even fewer drivers. What do you do at the moment - run them down?

advertisement

Back