advertisement

It's 2022. Thinking of making any changes to your system? Like what?

I did the vinyl sell-off/donation 2016-17-ish when I was about 72 and never regretted it. Up to £186 for an "Electric Ladyland" purchased in Boots, Ayr, High Street, or similar, for the going rate on its release, was the unexpected type of bonus that cropped up, too. Dozens to the local charity shop, too, who would gain up to £20 per album, as the guy who priced them had been a record shop worker.

I had had a Thorens tt from 1970 (Initially the "Which Best Buy") and almost every form of music media player since, until the devinyl. Still have the Dragon and a Technics tape deck as I was around during the decades when many of us put down high quality recordings/playlists to keep for our lifetimes. Have had 3 Brennans and the latter pair of B2s (WAV no MP3) do everything I want - and conveniently. It has been said, though, that "I am easily pleased. "
I still admire those who love vinyl and seek it, and their perfect solution, out, but I am merely saying that when you feel the time is right, the joy and satisfaction may well come from other sources.

Starting to seriously think about selling off my vinyl and turntable and going up to totl (for me) digital front end. In the last month or so I've pretty much exclusively listened to CD/SACD and ripped Flac & DSD files. Haven't felt the need to play much vinyl and, as I'll never go beyond my current analogue front end, I could easily get to a "final" digital setup without too much more outlay. Just to clarify, this would be for the "upstairs" setup, downstairs is already 100% digital front end. I think now I've reached the (old) age of not replacing an LP collection if I sell this one - I've done it before and succumbed but I think a good digital front end is at least as good as analogue and vinyl is getting pretty variable in terms of quality.

With so many people waxing lyrical about the Karousel it might just be my dying upgrade flourish, hifi-wise. My hearing is absolutely shot and no hope of it improving but I reckon I could still distinguish a tauter, more bouncy bass. Has it really just shot up 100 smackers ?
Where can I buy it "in the box" ? I am my own Linn guru. Can it be sold "direct" ? without incurring the wrath of the Gods ?

In:
RFC Rutlands, Radford Revival Sta25, Tron Atlantic pre.
Out:
Proac SM100s. Audion Silver Knight 300B Anniversary. (will be in classifieds in due course)

going to replace my roksan k2 with a sugden a21se but I first need an external phonostage so that's top of my list for 2022. at the moment it's between graham slee reflex m or the njc phonostage.

would like an external dac to go with my node 2i but that will probably be next year.

Looking to replace my Burson Conductor/Schitt Vidar with a nice integrated with phono. Thinking about Atoll, but need to do some demos.

I’m finding that streaming quality is so high these days I’m playing vinyl less and less on main system. Oddly perhaps, I’m playing vinyl much more on second system where it’s just about the music and not the hifi and really enjoying it. The Optonica deck being fully automatic helps too - it all just feels less serious and more fun.

So I will probably say goodbye to my unmolested (except for clear lid) 1983 LP12. Maybe replace with a Techie:), or perhaps just play records on second system.

I usually use ATC active 50's (15 years old & with the original tweeters) with a Chord TT2 acting as the pre. The Chord has had to go back to them to be fixed & I've been using Tannoy Mercurys, which usually are in a bedroom, as a substitute. It's kind of made me realise how far short the ATC's are at the top end. I had planned to send them to ATC to get serviced & the tweeters replaced, but it's such a faff, both getting ATC to do it & also sending them to Stroud from NE Scotland.

I wonder whether anyone - who has brought their ATC's up to date - can comment on quite how much of a difference it made to their performance ?

I feel like getting some Klipsch Cornwalls or similar, just for a complete change, especially with OAP ears.

Last year was quite eventful, this year I’m planning to take it slow. Ordered the Lim upgrade for the Yggdrasil in November which i expect to arrive in maybe a month or so.
System is pretty much done and I’m very happy with it. Been messing with headphones more lately. I suspect some quality closed backs are in my future.

Picking up some new harbeth shl5 plus non XD next week. Other than that might change to Ania pro for my P6 , currently using an exact.

Possibly a new pre amp - I have my eye on an Acoustic Research pre, but it’s not essential. Also fancy adding a Lingo 4 to my LP12, but again, not essential. I’m happy with my system, so it’s only marginal gains I’m looking for.

I am in the process of acquiring a remote controlled XLR phase switch. It will be a lot of fun being able to switch absolute phase instantaneously!

2022 is a year of no new equipment for me, as I have recently replaced:
Interconnects (DIY OCC cable)
Speaker cable (OCC)
Phono stage (BB3)
DAC (RME ADI-2 DAC FS)
MC Cartridge (Dynavector XX2)
Amplifier (Neurochrome Modulus 686)
Speakers (Triangle Antal EZ)
Spare valves were also bought for phono stage
Equipment supports for speakers and valve based gear (IsoAcoustics IsoPucks)

My wallet could do with some time off, for expenditure elsewhere.

Reactions: ask
I may tinker with a few valves on the Leben amp but that will be it for me - at least that's the intention ....

advertisement

Back