advertisement

It's 2022. Thinking of making any changes to your system? Like what?

Maybe change my Monitor Audio Silver 200s for some £1400 "monitor" types. Russell K s, Amphion, Proac Tablette etc..
Might have to rob Peter to pay Paul though...

Linn Lingo 4 for me, after my 32 year old Valhalla power supply went pop.

Out of curiosity, why the Lingo 4 instead of one of the less expensive alternatives, like the Mober? I'm sure the Lingo sounds superb. Listening to the original Lingo was one of those "aha" moments for me, back when it originally came out, but the price has always kept me off from it.

My Valhalla also died not too long ago, so I need to get it serviced or replace it with an external power supply. The Mober alternatives seem very good value.

Would like to change arm on Bardot from brinkmann 10.5 to a tri planar 10.5. I really miss being able to change vta on the fly, imho it can transform sound of vinyl.
Maybe try and integrate a subwoofer , I’ve a Rel stentor 3 sitting idle but it’s a big beast to position, so need a healthy day and a helper. Front room full of hifi so maybe save up for something smaller.

I usually use ATC active 50's (15 years old & with the original tweeters) with a Chord TT2 acting as the pre. The Chord has had to go back to them to be fixed & I've been using Tannoy Mercurys, which usually are in a bedroom, as a substitute. It's kind of made me realise how far short the ATC's are at the top end. I had planned to send them to ATC to get serviced & the tweeters replaced, but it's such a faff, both getting ATC to do it & also sending them to Stroud from NE Scotland.

I wonder whether anyone - who has brought their ATC's up to date - can comment on quite how much of a difference it made to their performance ?

I feel like getting some Klipsch Cornwalls or similar, just for a complete change, especially with OAP ears.
A quick search suggests drying ferrofluid - generally speaking - can cause some dulling after 15 or 20 years, so a (small) possibility. The new in house tweeters don't use ferrofluid BTW.

Or, give something other than the Chord a spin for kicks?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why the Lingo 4 instead of one of the less expensive alternatives, like the Mober? I'm sure the Lingo sounds superb. Listening to the original Lingo was one of those "aha" moments for me, back when it originally came out, but the price has always kept me off from it.

My Valhalla also died not too long ago, so I need to get it serviced or replace it with an external power supply. The Mober alternatives seem very good value.
Managed to buy one at a price I couldn't refuse,still a fair chunk of cash but it does update most of the electronic internals in one hit.

Well, they might be up for sale soon as Mrs Kneecap has said this morning that she would prefer something smaller and visually lighter with new decor in lounge... What a stroke of luck!!
:)

So far this year I've sold on my Topping L30/E30 DAC/AMP and HiFiMan Sundara headphones, and now I'm clearing out my Icon Audio valve amp and a pair of Buchardt Audio S400 speakers. All in the name of minimalism. I think I'll try a pair of active streaming speakers... just not sure what, yet, but happy to hear recommendations.

Finally trying streaming having had a vinyl only system system over the past few years. Managed to get hold of a new 2021 bluesound node for only £190. This will sit along side my LP12, Brio-r and Kef meta speakers.

Would like to buy new speakers, but demoing remains a challenge. Most of the speaker manufacturers I am interested in have no local dealers.

Still undecided on small floor standers versus stand mounts and subs. Both have their appeal, but leaning towards the latter.

Even for a subjectivist like me, it is hard not to be impressed by Perlisten’s measurements. Looking forward to hearing them sometime in 2022.

Sold my Vienna Acoustics Beethoven baby grand SE after not managing to get their placement correct and took a shot in the dark and bought a pair of used Magnepan 1.6QR SE that a local dealer had posted for €900. Very, very happy with them, and always nice to get an upgrade in sound for significantly less money.

Finally trying streaming having had a vinyl only system system over the past few years. Managed to get hold of a new 2021 bluesound node for only £190. This will sit along side my LP12, Brio-r and Kef meta speakers.
How did you manage that ? This sounds like a really great system !

For me it’s making my living room set up as convenient and energy efficient as possible as this is used daily for music when working from home and tv in the evenings

advertisement

Back