advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Thanks for the detailed reply. Appreciate the info...... This is hugely more complicated than I was considering...... But good luck to you.

You can certainly feed parallel signals (Y connectors, or made up leads) from L,R to a 2x4 HD MINI DSP then EQ the bass and align to your fronts using REW alignment tools. This will allow you to add the subs perfectly EQ'd and aligned without needing to add any unnecessary EQ to the main channels

Just snagged an A&R T21 FM tuner for £40. Always wanted to try one. May supplant my Creek. Very tempted to snag an A60 amp today at Stamford Hifi! Nice little second system?
Mmmm.
Arrived today. Great condition and sounding very nice. Will compare it to the Creek this weekend.

Just carrying home some AVI Nu Neutrons on the tube. Surprisingly heavy for their diminutive size.

Apparently Neutron IV are the ones to have, but these will do until I find a pair of those. These are tatty, but nothing a quick respray won’t sort. They also came with 6m of VDH speaker cable, which is handy.

A Technics SU-V3 amplifier. A return to my hi-fi roots as this model was my first amplifier, back in the late 80s. I’ve always loved the elegant silver front panel with its blue-green fluorescent power meter and backlit amber "New Class A" logo.

It has a big, open, easy sound. The previous owner upgraded the IC in the phono stage. How much this has improved it I can’t say as it’s been 30 years since I last experienced it, except that it’s blown me away!

A Technics SU-V3 amplifier. A return to my hi-fi roots as this model was my first amplifier, back in the late 80s. I’ve always loved the elegant silver front panel with its blue-green fluorescent power meter and backlit amber "New Class A" logo.

It has a big, open, easy sound. The previous owner upgraded the IC in the phono stage. How much this has improved it I can’t say as it’s been 30 years since I last experienced it, except that it’s blown me away!
I’ve just bought my very first speakers again.

What are they, Del, and what do you think of them now? No way do I want to revisit my first pair.
They are Wharfedale 505.2s. The slightly more exotic mahogany version. Had them with a B1 amp and Rega P2. I still remember the sound. I thought they’d pair nicely with my newly acquired T21 tuner and perhaps an A60 amp as a second system.Just won them so should arrive soon.

They are Wharfedale 505.2s. The slightly more exotic mahogany version. Had them with a B1 amp and Rega P2. I still remember the sound. I thought they’d pair nicely with my newly acquired T21 tuner and perhaps an A60 amp as a second system.Just won them so should arrive soon.
That would've been a nice first system.

My restored A60 has been a constant in my system for nearly 20 years. But if I can get the Technics to play more nicely with digital it might become relegated.

I've had so many house moves (renting not buying!) and system changes, that I doubt I'd ever recreate a sound from the past. I may not have ever got the best from any of the systems, so the sounds probably weren't worth recreating. Luckily my new lounge is (hopefully!) going to be ideal for my system.

New (lockdown!) purchases to try out: Allegri+ pre, Tron monoblocks, Denon SACD.

I've had so many house moves (renting not buying!) and system changes, that I doubt I'd ever recreate a sound from the past. I may not have ever got the best from any of the systems, so the sounds probably weren't worth recreating. Luckily my new lounge is (hopefully!) going to be ideal for my system.

New (lockdown!) purchases to try out: Allegri+ pre, Tron monoblocks, Denon SACD.
I’m know I’m unlikely to re-create the sound all those years ago and I probably see it in rose-tinted spectacles but I’m enjoying the pathway on which I find myself and it engages me almost as much a the music now. So, for me, it’s that perfect balance. I also like ferreting at the budget end because expectation is not really an issue. It makes it so much more exciting, and affordable, when you harvest a gem like the T21 or the Rotel 965BX.

I’m know I’m unlikely to re-create the sound all those years ago and I probably see it in rose-tinted spectacles but I’m enjoying the pathway on which I find myself and it engages me almost as much a the music now. So, for me, it’s that perfect balance. I also like ferreting at the budget end because expectation is not really an issue. It makes it so much more exciting, and affordable, when you harvest a gem like the T21 or the Rotel 965BX.

I hope it didn't sound like I was trying to put you off. I envy your position being able to re-try previous gear!

I hope it didn't sound like I was trying to put you off. I envy your position being able to re-try previous gear!

No not at all. I understand where you’re coming from. It’s my curiosity. But I know that if it is just nostalgia then I can sell them on with my deposed Creek tuner. I’ll then likely purchase some high ohm headphones for my vintage Rega Ear! I can’t really do big upgrades any more so I’m just aiming for some affordable refinement!

I paid money so technically a purchase of sorts.

My 2007 Naim CD5x stopped working on one channel so took it back to the dealer I bought it from. He sent it back to Naim and they replaced the DAC. upgraded the software, cleaned it up and it sounds like a new machine all at what I consider good value.

Worth buying decent quality British kit that can be repaired from a reputable dealer.

Santa popped by recently with an early present.

An Electrocompaniet EMC1 Mk V

OK, this is far from an inexpensive player, but, crikey, it's very good indeed. The 'drama' of using a top loader with the very nice spider magnetic puck really appeals. It's also mechanically silent in operation, which is very important to me.

AT ART-9xa. I haven’t put any miles on my standard ART-9 yet but was itching to hear this low output version which seems closer to the ART-7 ( apart from having a Shibata tip). Oh and that other great invention- threaded mounting holes. Need to unpack and set up the TT after the house move.

Santa popped by recently with an early present.

An Electrocompaniet EMC1 Mk V

OK, this is far from an inexpensive player, but, crikey, it's very good indeed. The 'drama' of using a top loader with the very nice spider magnetic puck really appeals. It's also mechanically silent in operation, which is very important to me.

How does it sound next to your Esoteric dac? Are you planning to use the EC just as a transport?

tron monoblocks, they are rare

advertisement

Back