advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

How does it sound next to your Esoteric dac? Are you planning to use the EC just as a transport?

The $64,000 question! I'm not really a fan of direct a/b comparisons, favouring a week or two of each properly to appreciate relevant strengths and weaknesses. Having said that I couldn't resist doing a direct comparison using 'Side Eye NYC' by Pat Metheny. CD vs 24/48 Qobuz, streamed via Innuos Phoenix Net>AQ Vodka>Aries G1>Esoteric D07x. First comment is that they are both excellent. Esoteric is a little more defined perhaps, but it doesn't quite have the musical flow of the EC. The Esoteric uncovers finer details, I think. At this level of playback small differences are what it's mainly about. I haven't had a top drawer vinyl system for a while, but I do think the EC leans more in that direction.

The EC has a very good analogue output stage, so my plan is to use it as a player, not just a transport. I will, of course, give it a go though! I would imagine it will be very good, given the design and construction of the EMC 1.

The $64,000 question! I'm not really a fan of direct a/b comparisons, favouring a week or two of each properly to appreciate relevant strengths and weaknesses. Having said that I couldn't resist doing a direct comparison using 'Side Eye NYC' by Pat Metheny. CD vs 24/48 Qobuz, streamed via Innuos Phoenix Net>AQ Vodka>Aries G1>Esoteric D07x. First comment is that they are both excellent. Esoteric is a little more defined perhaps, but it doesn't quite have the musical flow of the EC. The Esoteric uncovers finer details, I think. At this level of playback small differences are what it's mainly about. I haven't had a top drawer vinyl system for a while, but I do think the EC leans more in that direction.

The EC has a very good analogue output stage, so my plan is to use it as a player, not just a transport. I will, of course, give it a go though! I would imagine it will be very good, given the design and construction of the EMC 1.
a nice dilemma to have!

Can’t wait for this to arrive….bought as much for how it looks as I’ve never heard one.

This was Kenwood’s all out effort at a power amp, which formed part of their Supreme series, circa 1975. This one has been recapped and given a full service. I was torn between this and one of their later ‘L’ series amps, but they look like shoeboxes and where’s the fun in that?!

79-B50-E67-1-AD7-4751-A6-F4-776388-E5265-E.jpg

The next purchase is likely to be the Simaudio Moon 760a power amp currently on loan to me.

It sounds good.
The build oozes quality.
Comes out of standby instantaneously.
No mechanical noise or buzzes of any description. No switch on/off "nasties".
Acceptable power consumption in standby.
Easily accessible standby button on front.
At 20kg I can lift it by myself.

The new Rega Saturn R
It's really breathed new life into my CD collection.
Absolutely no digital glassyness about the sound at all.It really imparts the performance of the muscians and separation in the mix is superb.So easy to follow instruments.
Just sounds like a very good turntable.
Love it... been keeping me up why to late and TV not been on all last week.

Last edited:
Very late Linn Kairn (one of the last made), fully serviced in November too. I’ve had a few Kairns and this is absolutely the best one I’ve had… and a Linn Klimax Renew DS/2. I need a cartridge upgrade for my LP12 next, and then some Linn Klouts or possibly Klimax Twins… my system is sounding excellent on the whole now.

Cable time for me: Audioquest Carbon HDMI for I2S duties, and shortly Audioquest Yukon XLRs to connect between DAC and amp.

Coherent systems RTZ 1 and 4 ground cables. All stuck in my TDAI3400. Excellent impact , good improvements across the board but imaging and soundstage very noticeable. Recording dependant YMMV.

Picked up an ex display Primare CD15 Prisma & i15mm amp a couple of weeks ago for a really good price. Simplified my system & the amp is a great match with my Stirling LS3/5A V3s.
Currently trialling Amazon unlimited music. Even after just a couple of hours decided I will probably not continue with it after the trial, the UI is absolutely terrible.
TS

The new Rega Saturn R
It's really breathed new life into my CD collection.
Absolutely no digital glassyness about the sound at all.It really imparts the performance of the muscians and separation in the mix is superb.So easy to follow instruments.
Just sounds like a very good turntable.
Love it... been keeping me up why to late and TV not been on all last week.

What amp/speakers are you using it with?

The next purchase is likely to be the Simaudio Moon 760a power amp currently on loan to me.

It sounds good.
The build oozes quality.
Comes out of standby instantaneously.
No mechanical noise or buzzes of any description. No switch on/off "nasties".
Acceptable power consumption in standby.
Easily accessible standby button on front.
At 20kg I can lift it by myself.
Forgot to mention this is the second time in four years I've had a Simaudio Moon 760a power amp on loan and both examples presented the same qualities.

So today I purchased the loaner.

advertisement

Back