advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RossB I am curious how you rate the tiny Lindemann Limetree Network unit overall? I know that may be a silly question in a way, and obviously depends on the context/comparison to what…I have listened to one for a bit when it first came out, and thought it quite a good sounding piece of gear.

Your system looks mighty fine and I am sure the music is likewise! Thanks for sharing it.

@RossB I am curious how you rate the tiny Lindemann Limetree Network unit overall? I know that may be a silly question in a way, and obviously depends on the context/comparison to what…I have listened to one for a bit when it first came out, and thought it quite a good sounding piece of gear.

The Limetree Network is actually extremely good, particularly for the price. I should mention I have the original version with the AKM chip, not the later one with ESS chip. It is not as good as the Nagra DAC (obviously) which is 50 times the price, but I like it better than the Chord DAVE/M Scaler I owned for a year. It is not the last word in digital reproduction but it is perfectly satisfying and I can happily listen to it without feeling I am missing anything. It does benefit from a good linear PSU.

@MUTTY1 NOTHING beats a 15" woofer.;)

The crazy thing is, I'm listening some Christmas music around 60dB peak at the listening position and it sounds great and I listened to some Rock at 100dB at the listening position this afternoon and it sounds great too both with the tiny 8 watt (at best) 300b valve amplifier. The Altec Super Duplex 604 E is totally nuts.:rolleyes:
It's funny you say that. Strangely, the 15" in the Arden never sounds particularly bassy. Only when there're proper deep bass or when the mix is tipped that way does it come across as bassy. I seem to recall my ATC100 actives, with 12" woofers, were much the same. So in my (limited) experience, big woofers don't draw attention to their bass capabilities - not what one would expect.

They do, however, have an effortlessness and tightness that makes smaller coned speakers seem like they are trying too hard. I'm going to call it a gracefulness. It's like the difference between me running a 23 minute 5K and Eliud Kipchoge doing the same. He'd look like he was barely moving, whereas I'd be all sweaty, sweary and a greasy mess at the end....

The Limetree Network is actually extremely good, particularly for the price. I should mention I have the original version with the AKM chip, not the later one with ESS chip. It is not as good as the Nagra DAC (obviously) which is 50 times the price, but I like it better than the Chord DAVE/M Scaler I owned for a year. It is not the last word in digital reproduction but it is perfectly satisfying and I can happily listen to it without feeling I am missing anything. It does benefit from a good linear PSU.

Thank you for the reply, Ross. It certainly sounded quite good to my ears as well, for the outlay a very credible little piece. I especially liked how small it is, would fit in well in a small, simple setup.

That Pathos amp looks fantastic! I'd like to hear some of their more modern equipment.

I have an old Pathos TT, one of the first amps that Pathos built. I took it back to the factory in Vicenza for a service about 11 years ago now, and it's still going strong;

Here with newly refurbished ESL63;

Heard great things about the Pathos TT. Stunning looking piece of kit!

Switched to a sideboard under TV, HiFi on corner rack. I feel something is missing though…

51742028556_1997ce3921_c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back