advertisement

United States of Europe??

I wish them luck with trying to enforce that….cats are not as acquiescent as dogs, and will escape through any open window that they find! (applies especially to Burmese cats!!!!)

They have a point though. I have posted on this previously, if not here then elsewhere. I am a paid up member of the RSPB so was conflicted watching our previous rescue cat killing birds who were around the property because we were feeding them along with assorted voles/ mice etc.

We have made a conscious decision to not get a cat ( I like Burmese or Abyssinian) to protect wildlife..........

Regards

Richard

Reactions: PsB
This is quite amusing- hod carriers from a failed state that’s just had a disorderly back door exit from one of the worlds economic superpowers, consoling themselves with a bit of GCSE political history. A stiff upper lip/ mustn’t grumble philosophy combined with the self comforting illusion they just got out of a burning building in the nick of time. Britannia never stopped ruling the waves.

Not much opinion here on whether it is a good thing or bad thing for EU member states.
Being a sovereign country, but not having monetary sovereignty did for Greece. If a federal structure got around those issues, it would be better for PIIGS.

It could have advantages but a rolling presidency would be vital but also a barrier to success. Would France allow another finger to be on the trigger of their nuclear arsenal and would France be subservient to federal labour rules, working hours and tax law, 4th Reich any one :D.

What's the world coming to, when one can't rely anymore on old favourites like the Bundesverfassungsgericht or the frugal German taxpayer?
Well, which is it, do you think? And of what?

I suspect the the beginning of the EU (Maastricht) was also the beginning of the end of the thing, but the path is inevitably convoluted, and will continue to be so (unless it isn't). There's a great deal invested in the project.

Meanwhile Brexit Britain sends undertrained crews on brand new warships half way round the world to ‘intimidate’ China in its own territorial waters while complaining about a handful of brown people trying to paddle across the Channel and investment meanwhile flies in the opposite direction to Europe. It’s a sad end.A European federation is an inevitability.

I'm not sure that the international 'community' shares your definition of China's territorial waters, but then I accept that you're a rollover kind of guy.

Presumably you're also fairly relaxed about the drowning ratio on the dinghy crossings. I mean what's the loss of a couple or three dozen when 25,000 odd have made it, eh?

Presumably you're also fairly relaxed about the drowning ratio on the dinghy crossings. I mean what's the loss of a couple or three dozen when 25,000 odd have made it, eh?

That is an interesting and somewhat revealing comment from the supporter of a government using a strategy that prefers to see them make these crossings than process applications where it is safe.

What is actually so terrible about the idea of a Federal Europe? I quite like it, it's one of the reasons I didn't want to leave the EU, though I'd have a bit of a problem if Germany was totally dominant because most of their food is really not to my taste.

Apparently turnip gruel and black bread is quite acceptable when it's all that's on offer.

I don't think I mentioned it, did I?

I know, terrible humour, and deeply inappropriate. Sorry Angela, I didn't mean it.

That is an interesting and somewhat revealing comment from the supporter of a government using a strategy that prefers to see them make these crossings than process applications where it is safe.
I have no doubt that in some quarters, the ratio of drownings is seen as a measure of success. How else do you explain the grotesquery of characterising the RLNI as ‘a free taxi service’?

If we’re worried about people drowning while trying to cross the channel in makeshift boats, why don’t we just give them ferry tickets? Much cheaper than patrol boats surely?

Yes, the inevitably twisted response. The issue of illegal channel crossings has been about for many years and many governments but its been driven to this by the success of the security arrangements at the Channel ports, and by the resourcefulness and ruthlessness of the traffickers.

The bizarre thing about it is that there is an element on the Liberal left, one almost certainly synonymous with the more determined factions of continuity remain, that sees this crisis as being somehow acceptable, probably because it puts this hated government in such an intractable place, and shines a bright light on its inadequacies, both perceived and actual.

Apparently turnip gruel and black bread is quite acceptable when it's all that's on offer.

I don't think I mentioned it, did I?

I know, terrible humour, and deeply inappropriate. Sorry Angela, I didn't mean it.
I've covered root eating on another thread!

I've covered root eating on another thread!
Have you tried…

8fVPKWX.jpg

Yes, the inevitably twisted response. The issue of illegal channel crossings has been about for many years and many governments but its been driven to this by the success of the security arrangements at the Channel ports, and by the resourcefulness and ruthlessness of the traffickers.

The bizarre thing about it is that there is an element on the Liberal left, one almost certainly synonymous with the more determined factions of continuity remain, that sees this crisis as being somehow acceptable, probably because it puts this hated government in such an intractable place, and shines a bright light on its inadequacies, both perceived and actual.

And the 'hard leavers' get to use such tragedies as a stick to beat the evil EU Empire with.

Nutjobs to the left of me, nutjobs to the right of me ...

Reactions: PsB
I have no doubt that in some quarters, the ratio of drownings is seen as a measure of success. How else do you explain the grotesquery of characterising the RLNI as ‘a free taxi service’?
Yes, as long as they are out of France it’s a success for the French. They could always have a go at stopping these desperate people attempting such a dangerous voyage to horrible England, but of course, that means they would still be in France and that can’t be right.

Ah yes the Liberal left and now Continuity Remain, well played. The blame shifting continues as project reality arrives. It's all the fault of those who didn't want it.

No it shines a light on the fact that a large element of the Right sees those crossings as a useful tool to avoid their share of the problem. They made undeliverable promises to a domestic audience who now feign indignation at these appalling circumstances without acknowledging a) our role in creating the problems and b) our responsibility to take any, let alone our share.

I'm not surprised that countries are pissed off with our attempted exceptionalism and cynical evasion when they are already taking far more people than us. They are entitled to feel doubly outraged as they also didn't share our enthusiasm for brown nosing the US leaving everyone else to pick up the tab.

And the 'hard leavers' get to use such tragedies as a stick to beat the evil EU Empire with.

Nutjobs to the left of me, nutjobs to the right of me ...
The focus shifts around between issues calculated to inflame sovereignty outrage- dietary impositions of a sausage nature in a not far enough off Provence among people we would prefer to know nothing of and the illusion that hoards foreigners are on the high seas heading for Blighty. Once they get here and acquire a cat, we will never be able to get them to leave.

Yes, as long as they are out of France it’s a success for the French. They could always have a go at stopping these desperate people attempting such a dangerous voyage to horrible England, but of course, that means they would still be in France and that can’t be right.

Yes wouldn't it be convenient if we avoided taking our share by using the channel to force France to take them instead. The Labour Faragist speaks.

advertisement

Back