advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, because football is so much more important than human rights.

Of course, it isn't, and I haven't heard anyone claiming otherwise. What people have said is that fans are very keen to shout about human rights in football but will accept and say nothing about our nation selling weapons to those regimes and nor will they take any action, physically, against those regimes. In fact, all they are doing is using the human rights stick to attack a rival because of its owners and they actually have no intention of really taking on human rights issues because they, generally speaking, ignore them.

It is a better indicator. Surprised MUFCs wage bill is that much higher but they are the richest club in terms of income I believe.

Generally speaking, the press will not focus any real negative attention on United - it's not good for business.

Of course, it isn't, and I haven't heard anyone claiming otherwise. What people have said is that fans are very keen to shout about human rights in football but will accept and say nothing about our nation selling weapons to those regimes and nor will they take any action, physically, against those regimes. In fact, all they are doing is using the human rights stick to attack a rival because of its owners and they actually have no intention of really taking on human rights issues because they, generally speaking, ignore them.

No, what it's about is morally bankrupt football fans(I'd include those Liverpool fans who wanted a Dubai takeover in 2008), for the sake of winning tin/silver trophies, turning a blind eye to the fact some of their club's owners are monsters-it isn't about envy, the money, other clubs manage to secure huge investment and challenge your 'success'. You've pointed out the jobs and investment they bring to the city but that's like praising Fred West for his plastering.
City's dominance, Pep's genius, will always be tainted as will any future Newcastle success and that is a shame.

May I remind all of the more biased here that the background of the “Dubai” offer for liverpool (which was largely a confection anyway) was the very real prospect of the club going bankrupt under the Gillett/Hicks cluster-****. Thankfully we were bought by rapacious venture capitalists whose motivation (very well executed so far btw) was to invest in and build up club, make money, increase value and win things. A shocking state of affairs I know.

Other clubs owners buy them as playthings, or to sports-wash the reputation of repugnant, repressive regimes.

I know which owners I prefer.

May I remind all of the more biased here that the background of the “Dubai” offer for liverpool (which was largely a confection anyway) was the very real prospect of the club going bankrupt under the Gillett/Hicks cluster-****. Thankfully we were bought by rapacious venture capitalists whose motivation (very well executed so far btw) was to invest in and build up club, make money, increase value and win things. A shocking state of affairs I know.

Other clubs owners buy them as playthings, or to sports-wash the reputation of repugnant, repressive regimes.

I know which owners I prefer.
Of course you do.

No, what it's about is morally bankrupt football fans(I'd include those Liverpool fans who wanted a Dubai takeover in 2008), for the sake of winning tin/silver trophies, turning a blind eye to the fact some of their club's owners are monsters-it isn't about envy, the money, other clubs manage to secure huge investment and challenge your 'success'. You've pointed out the jobs and investment they bring to the city but that's like praising Fred West for his plastering.
City's dominance, Pep's genius, will always be tainted as will any future Newcastle success and that is a shame.

We will just have to disagree. This is just the latest in a very long line of insults directed at City and it will be the same at Newcastle, mark my words, and , generally speaking, most fans who will have a go at City or Newcastle actually will not give two hoots about human rights, here or elsewhere, it will just be a stick to beat a rival with. It is a sorry state of affairs but it is the tribal nature of the game.

We will just have to disagree. This is just the latest in a very long line of insults directed at City and it will be the same at Newcastle, mark my words, and , generally speaking, most fans who will have a go at City or Newcastle actually will not give two hoots about human rights, here or elsewhere, it will just be a stick to beat a rival with. It is a sorry state of affairs but it is the tribal nature of the game.
Insults? Oh I get you, like the way the Saudis were insulted by Khashoggi pointing out their appalling civil rights record.

Insults? Oh I get you, like the way the Saudis were insulted by Khashoggi pointing out their appalling civil rights record.
I'm talking about football fan insults, most of whom will not even know who Khashoggi is, as you well know.

The stable door of propriety has been left open by the Premier League for years and the Horse of Morality bolted some time ago. And the Premier League have merely been taking their cue from our elected Government.

"Downing Street and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport have maintained a deliberately hands-off approach, with officials insisting that it is a matter for the Premier League, and that since the UK trades with Saudi Arabia* it would be anomalous to ban the takeover of a football club."

It is being widely reported that the newly instituted Chinese State Investment Fund are in advanced talks to take over Liverpool/ Manchester United** FC. A spokesperson for the Fund said "We love red but the colour match with the Chinese flag has to be exact" It is thought that a shade change to team strips would not be a stumbling block.
The post-Covid collapse of the US economy and its impact on the Glazers/Fenway Sports Group** are behind the Clubs appearance on the market.
Liverpool/Manchester Utd** fans group said "The club belongs to the fans and will always have our love and support."

Downing Street and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport have maintained a deliberately hands-off approach, with officials...[rinse and repeat].

*substitute another heinous Country, group or individual where appropriate.
**delete or substitute where appropriate.

Last edited:
I hear the new owners are committed to cleaning up the facilities at the King Abdulaziz stadium

Screenshot-20211009-093724-Google.jpg

May I remind all of the more biased here that the background of the “Dubai” offer for liverpool (which was largely a confection anyway) was the very real prospect of the club going bankrupt under the Gillett/Hicks cluster-****.

In that case, the motivation of Liverpool fans differs from that of every single other team: this was not about avoiding bankruptcy, it was simply the joy of a chance of inward investment and better players on the pitch, as it is at every, single other club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back