advertisement

Windows 11 has arrived

optional is not the word i would use

i am told Win11 will run with the older version of TPM (1.2) but will not get any updates including security ones. I have seen that it is possible to install Win11 without any TPM but it would be unsupported.

https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/does-windows-11-require-tpm-20-we-have-good-news-and-bad-news

You've misunderstood gin, I was responding to garyi above. It was an optional hardware specification in the past for the builders, I didn't mean in relation to win11. The list of unsupported hardware is staggering in this age of waste.

You've misunderstood gin, I was responding to garyi above. It was an optional hardware specification in the past, I didn't mean in relation to win11. The list of unsupported hardware is staggering in this age of waste.

yes i see now

I had been toying with the idea of migrating my gaming-only PC (hooked up to our tv) from Linux to Windows because of the occasional technical headache (I'm 100% Linux for day-to-day use but despite great strides made by Valve/Steam, gaming still isn't always very smooth...although to be fair the fact that I can run many AAA Windows games on Linux flawlessly in the first place is amazing). But now I see that my 2017 vintage Intel Core i5 7600 isn't compatible with Win 11 and I'm not about to replace a perfectly fine CPU. So, I guess Linux is sticking around on that machine.

My wife's laptop has a Pentium N4200 which also isn't supported. That CPU is slow as hell, so I was thinking about migrating it to Linux for her anyway, since Win 10 is pretty slow on it. Her old laptop had Linux on it, so it wouldn't be a shock for her.

I can only assume (since I'm not involved with them anymore) that the people at the FSF & GNU, and at Canonical, Red Hat, etc. are all salivating right now.

Satya Nadella of Microsoft on the Linkedin said:

Satya Nadella Satya Nadella is an Influencer

Chairman and CEO at Microsoft

3d
Windows 11 marks the start of a new generation of Windows, making it easier for anyone to dream big and turn their ideas into reality. We can’t wait to see what you create.
Satya must have had his Tim Apple chip installed, then.

I think the likely outcome will be longer support for win 10. I think its good microsoft are trying to move things forward a bit here. Perhaps they have not got it quite right but clearly they are trying to say win 11 for modern systems. I have plenty of kit that wont run 11 but do accept there has to be a move forward at some point.

Many corporates only moved from Win7 when security updates stopped being available to them (MS kept it in support for corporate users, IIRC, because lots of public sector were using it). Now the same users are on Win10 and facing the same issue in 3-4 years. I think there could be a bit of a fuss made, behind the scenes.

I think the time is fast coming when I will finally part company with MS Windows. I've been saying this to myself ever since support for Windows XP was withdrawn, but as a basic home user I really can't see the point of it any more. Each successive iteration since XP has just been ever more bloated random sh1tware. Apart from my dual boot desk top PC on which I mostly use Linux Mint anyway, I hardly use Windows any more, and my other devices are all Chrome and Android. I still find it amazing that after 27 years Microsoft still can't produce a nice, tidy, user friendly and intuitive operating system.

I especially like the spin within the linked to Microsoft 'Ways to install Windows 11' page.

First they suggest waiting until one is notified through Windows Update that the upgrade is ready for one's particular device, as if there are boffins actually testing one's specific computer for compatibility and then sending out signals via interweb telepathy ("Smithers! Prepare a teletype!"). Presumably, one need wait patiently until 2025 before giving up hope and turfing one's no longer supported Windows 10 machine (aka 'the last ever version of Windows with upgrades forever').

Then, in an obvious response to immediate negative feedback, they update the installation information to include a registry hack that one can use to force an install on unsupported hardware, only there will be no updates, security or otherwise, available. Nice bit of hypocrisy there.

What would be wrong with releasing an OS that takes full advantage of TPM if available, and remains reasonably secure othewise?

"Oy, try the new Surface and Turf'us, it's delicious!"

Most of my machines, work and personal, are i7 processor based with SSD's and at least 16GB of RAM - so run Windows 10 and everything else really, really well on them. I doubt any are compatible with Windows 11 though, so doubt I'll be switching to that anytime soon. My gaming machine could perhaps be done with just a motherboard change but I can't say I'm particularly interested as I like Windows 10 anyway.

Many corporates only moved from Win7 when security updates stopped being available to them (MS kept it in support for corporate users, IIRC, because lots of public sector were using it). Now the same users are on Win10 and facing the same issue in 3-4 years. I think there could be a bit of a fuss made, behind the scenes.

How many corporates still run their own desktops. It's all VDI nowadays. The multi-national that pays me never migrated from 7 but went straight to hosted 10. I predict 11 some time next year.

Can't say i'm in a hurry to upgrade from windows 10 - I only 'upgraded' from windows 7 18 months ago or so, whenever the updates ended. Since windows 11 doesn't run on any of the 7 PCs I can immediately think of that are in the house, it's not going to be hard to resist the temptation of upgrading.

How many corporates still run their own desktops.

Lots and lots, given how many of them are still spending money with us to upgrade to Windows 10. Most of them will have VDI solutions as well, but still supply staff with laptops or desktops.

How does work-from-home happen? It must be very painful.
If you mean support and manage remote users then that has been in place for more than 20 years especially for large corporations with thousands of computers to support. The only time you had to visit support in person was if you really screwed up your computer or more usually for new hardware refresh.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back