advertisement

Got any petrol or diesel?

Nightmare at Christmas,

Shoppers have been warned to expect a “nightmare” Christmas with limited stock on the shelves and higher prices amid labour shortages and shipping problems.

Many families will find they cannot get a turkey for Christmas Day and presents under the tree may not meet expectations, with delays to the import of toys, bikes and electrical items, according to analysts.

Britain’s biggest retailers predicted disruption to the festive season unless ministers took urgent action to allow more foreign workers into the country.
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...eurozone-business-live?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
So my annual new socks, pants and aftershave is under threat.?

True that!!:D
I had half a tank on Saturday morning which would have got me about 70 miles short of home. Then made the stupid mistake of wasting 3 hours fruitlessly searching and queueing around London. Net result 170 miles short of home:(

The problem is once you have started and your range starts to drop the incentive to carry on increases.

Ok, they knew the situation was hopeless and that the government wouldn’t listen and didn’t care.
Is that better?

TBH no not really. I'm not sure what the RHA have gotten out of this, they certainly appear to be determined to just sit back and have everybody blame the government. They could and should have stepped up to the mark. Given they have been, at the very least partly, responsible for the way the industry had been going for several years prior to Brexit I am fascinated there hasn't been more direct criticism of their seeming inaction.

I am open to evidence that the RHA made serious overtures to the government since 2016.

Regards

Richard

I had half a tank on Saturday morning which would have got me about 70 miles short of home. Then made the stupid mistake of wasting 3 hours fruitlessly searching and queueing around London. Net result 170 miles short of home:(

The problem is once you have started and your range starts to drop the incentive to carry on increases.
Could you do a halfway stop? Fuel supply seems to be stabilising here in the West Midlands, but if the shit hits the fan, you could abandon and leave the car on my drive until you could refuel.

TBH, I’ve only done one drive around looking for fuel when our local Sainsbury’s had run out on Friday night. Meant trying the Tesco a few miles up the road, then back into town for Morrisons before heading back out to a small BP station. Probably 5 miles of extra distance but I really needed some at that point for the jobs coming up. Now I’m just checking stations out on route (or very slightly off), makes no sense for me to go miles out of my way if I’m already on the roads.

Could you do a halfway stop? Fuel supply seems to be stabilising here in the West Midlands, but if the shit hits the fan, you could abandon and leave the car on my drive until you could refuel.

I've booked a couple of Travelodges at service stations for the route home for Monday. If the worst happens i'll have to stop there for a night or two, should be well placed through if and when fuel arrives.

The problem is that our disabled daughter is moving flats so the timing is rigid, helped her pack last weekend, helping her move this coming one.

Well, this gov. did such a good job of promoting "your new future is in Cyber" you would have thought that they could have done the same for HGV?
Slogans such as " I love the smell of Diesel in the morning, it smells like victory" could have been used :)

I've booked a couple of Travelodges at service stations for the route home for Monday. If the worst happens i'll have to stop there for a night or two, should be well placed through if and when fuel arrives.

The problem is that our disabled daughter is moving flats so the timing is rigid, helped her pack last weekend, helping her move this coming one.
Fingers crossed for you and your daughter that all goes well. My spare room is my listening room so the best I could offer is an airbed but if you do get stuck, the offer is there.

Might be worth coming off the motorway for a couple of junctions when you hit the midlands & finding a small petrol station that’ll be cheaper (not hard) than the motorway service stations and most likely to have pumps in action.

Might be worth coming off the motorway for a couple of junctions when you hit the midlands & finding a small petrol station that’ll be cheaper (not hard) than .
I remember topping up at Ferrybridge Services on Friday and wincing at the prices.

With £200 in train fares already under my belt and the prospect of £300 more, now they could charge me £10 a litre and I’d still be quids in

Here in West Yorks I had no problems filling up this morning at Morrison's and the 2 other petrol stations I passed also had fuel. The forecourts were busy but no queues.

Regarding this cabotage that @KrisW referred to, can the UK government renegotiate it, because it seems to me that this would at least be a partial solution to the shortages . Also, when the HGV visas are eased, will the European drivers be allowed to do multiple drops and pickups before they return home?

I’m wrong about cabotage being removed completely.

The EU-UK agreement allows two cabotage operations for foreign drivers per trip. It seems that this provision was put in place to stop Northern Irish hauliers going out of business (most NI hauliers operate extensively in the Republic, and vice versa). That’s better than nothing, but it does stop the pattern of self-employed long-distance drivers spending several days in their destination country doing short runs before tackling the long return trip. And like a lot of the EU-UK Trade Agreement, it’s a worse deal for the UK drivers, who might have to make those two jobs spread over nearly a thousand miles of return trip, as apposed to the the Spanish driver heading to the UK, who only can use his two jobs in the couple of hundred miles of journey within the UK, then take any number of jobs for the rest.

TBH no not really. I'm not sure what the RHA have gotten out of this, they certainly appear to be determined to just sit back and have everybody blame the government. They could and should have stepped up to the mark. Given they have been, at the very least partly, responsible for the way the industry had been going for several years prior to Brexit I am fascinated there hasn't been more direct criticism of their seeming inaction.

I am open to evidence that the RHA made serious overtures to the government since 2016.
RHA doesn’t seem to be making a lot of noise about this issue, alright. I wonder if this is a fear that the proposed solution will involve paying a higher share of training costs for apprentices. The larger companies would be against this (why pay to train up a guy who’ll leave because you don’t pay well), and in most of these trade associations, it’s only the big guys who matter.

Over here, the Irish hauliers association has been complaining to government about lack of drivers for quite a few years - the huge growth in the Irish economy over the last 25 years made the problem much more acute that it was in the UK, where it seems to have been a gradual decline in driver numbers over decades. One of the outcomes of that was a government supported apprenticeship programme to reduce the entry-costs for new drivers: you come out with your full CE licence and initial CPC, mostly at the government’s expense, with the employers providing you with a part-time job for the second half of it. But there’s still a problem of attracting people into a job that has long hours and only average pay prospects.

Regards

Richard

No you're not. You've had plenty of evidence, you are just one of the Brexit apologists who think everyone else should sort out your mess.

Filled up in Cleethorpes this morning, I was the only one filling up, plenty of fuel there.

Different issue here, two garages one empty and the other with a large queue dishing out fuel at £35 a pop. With my car down to 8 miles I was grateful for that.

advertisement

Back