advertisement

Who's bought their last tank of petrol?

I don’t have an EV yet as I just can’t afford one large enough for our needs. And that’s needs, not wants.
However, EV batteries…. Compared to… engine wear, battery, wearing alternator, rotting exhaust, clunky starter motor, failing DPF or cat, air con using R134a…

There’s a bloke where I work who, faced with 99 reasons to do/buy something will stare at the one reason not to. He’s the most miserable bloke I’ve ever met. I don’t want to be like Pat!

I’ve had a nemo van for over seven years and have never had any of that stuff above go wrong, yes there’s been maintenance and repairs but nothing major like those things.

Weve also run a 1.0 litre fiesta since May 2016 and the only thing that’s needed done in five years is one tyre plus servicing and mots of course but one tyre is the sum total of the repairs.

In fact thinking about it my daughter has run a VW polo 1.2 petrol engine car since October 2015 and she has had two tyres replaced in that time and also a few window washer pump fuses blow and that’s it two tyres in six years and the other car one tyre in five years.

Hardly a compelling argument for EVs vs ‘normal’ cars regarding running costs.

I don’t have an EV yet as I just can’t afford one large enough for our needs. And that’s needs, not wants.
However, EV batteries…. Compared to… engine wear, battery, wearing alternator, rotting exhaust, clunky starter motor, failing DPF or cat, air con using R134a…

There’s a bloke where I work who, faced with 99 reasons to do/buy something will stare at the one reason not to. He’s the most miserable bloke I’ve ever met. I don’t want to be like Pat!
You strike me Tony as someone that could just purchase one outright and for richer folk that’s a great option.
Over here for those of us in the catering industry 30-40-50 grand for a car is laughing town. Perhaps pat falls into that category. I am not looking for the one reason not to purchase, I really want an ev. But they are by comparison eye wateringly expensive.

You strike me Tony as someone that could just purchase one outright and for richer folk that’s a great option.
Over here for those of us in the catering industry 30-40-50 grand for a car is laughing town. Perhaps pat falls into that category. I am not looking for the one reason not to purchase, I really want an ev. But they are by comparison eye wateringly expensive.

On the facebook Jaguar I-Pace forums I am reading that people are leasing them for £400 per month and that is an £80'000 car. might be worth looking into what lease deals are available for EVs. you might be surprised.

On the facebook I-Pace forums I am reading that people are leasing them for £400 per month and that is an £80'000 car. might be worth looking into what lease deals are available for EVs. you might be surprised.

What world do you live in? £400 a month for a car plus insurance for an £80,000 car for someone who works in the catering industry?

My son is a chef and is paid buttons, think it’s a tenner an hour he’s paid. I’ll give him a bell and tell him about this fabulous deal on EV cars.

My god unbelievable.

Gary, you’re miles off. Pat earns what I earn. Plus he has an Air Force pension. And his house was paid for twenty years ago. And he lives with his lovely wife on the Suffolk coast. But he’ll still find reasons every day to be miserable.

I don’t doubt that EVs are expensive at the moment. But I’m paying less for a brand new car on lease than I was a 3 year old diesel once you add up all the extras like servicing and insurance.

And why, oh why, is everyone suddenly really concerned about the battery life and lithium in them? You’re patently not concerned with the millions and millions of litres of fuel pulled out the ground and the cost of refining it, transporting it and burning it just once in an engine. Then there’s all the oil that engines need replacing on a regular basis.

What world do you live in? £400 a month for a car plus insurance for an £80,000 car for someone who works in the catering industry?

My son is a chef and is paid buttons, think it’s a tenner an hour he’s paid. I’ll give him a bell and tell him about this fabulous deal on EV cars.

My god unbelievable.
Well let’s face it, he’s not really in the market for any new car at all, is he. Petrol, diesel, EV or pedal!

I’ve had a nemo van for over seven years and have never had any of that stuff above go wrong, yes there’s been maintenance and repairs but nothing major like those things.

Weve also run a 1.0 litre fiesta since May 2016 and the only thing that’s needed done in five years is one tyre plus servicing and mots of course but one tyre is the sum total of the repairs.

In fact thinking about it my daughter has run a VW polo 1.2 petrol engine car since October 2015 and she has had two tyres replaced in that time and also a few window washer pump fuses blow and that’s it two tyres in six years and the other car one tyre in five years.

Hardly a compelling argument for EVs vs ‘normal’ cars regarding running costs.
My point is, people always jump on the battery life bandwagon while ignoring the hundred and forty years of problematic ICE cars.

Anyone else find it comical that, after years of threads containing tales of woe about car reliability, suddenly everyone has incredibly reliable petrol cars that will have to be prised from their cold, dead hands?

Totally agree I’ve just changed supplier and I’m now on 18p/per Kw/hr and 18p standing charge per day.

Wasn’t that long ago electricity was about 11p a kw/hr

Gas is currently 3.15p kw/hr

So this is the fault of everyone planning to buy electric cars at some point in the next few years? Right, got it.

Well let’s face it, he’s not really in the market for any new car at all, is he. Petrol, diesel, EV or pedal!

Actually he has a new, well 2019, Fiesta which we help with the monthly payments ie we pay half plus the servicing costs and he pays the other half plus petrol and insurance but he's still having to pay about £200 a month.

The thing is none of us, me (I run my own business), my wife, daughter and son do big milages. I'm less than 8,000 miles a year, my son works about four miles away ditto my daughter and my wife about six miles away but we all need cars/van which is ridiculous I know but we all need to get to work at odd times.

I think we are all doing roughly the same milage except for the last 18 months which has probably halved the milage, I know my fuel costs are about a quarter of what they were pre-covid.

Unfortunately the EV threads have become a bit like the cable threads - inundated by loud and aggressive negative comments from people with no actual experience but all the knowledge and expertise to tell you every reason why it’s a scam, it’s silly, less environmentally good, and of course impossible to live with conveniently

I get the affordability issue, it’s a real one for many, for many just another excuse but most of all, it’s the attitude

Interesting to see if anyone who got an EV didn’t like it and ditched it? This would be useful to know for those considering it, not cynical nihilism

My last tank of petrol was also over a year ago. very highly recommended!

My point is, people always jump on the battery life bandwagon while ignoring the hundred and forty years of problematic ICE cars.

Anyone else find it comical that, after years of threads containing tales of woe about car reliability, suddenly everyone has incredibly reliable petrol cars that will have to be prised from their cold, dead hands?

It is funny isn't it. To be fair though, the gadgets that fail on modern cars will still fail on electric ones, and i've got to say I absolutely hate the iPad tacked to the dash look of so many modern cars (ICE or electric). But hey, if that's what the kids want then that's what the marketing and design teams will put together as they know their market better than I do.

My god unbelievable.

No, you miss my point. If an £80'000 car is available for £400 per month, then maybe a £30k car could be available for considerably less.

Edit. Don't forget you pay buttons for electricity and servicing on an EV.

Unfortunately the EV threads have become a bit like the cable threads - inundated by loud and aggressive negative comments from people with no actual experience but all the knowledge and expertise to tell you every reason why it’s a scam, it’s silly, less environmentally good, and of course impossible to live with conveniently

I get the affordability issue, it’s a real one for many, for many just another excuse but most of all, it’s the attitude

Interesting to see if anyone who got an EV didn’t like it and ditched it? This would be useful to know for those considering it, not cynical nihilism

My last tank of petrol was also over a year ago. very highly recommended!

Yeah, there's plenty of noise, but there's also useful info. It's like every forum on just about every subject :)

What sort of car/mileage do you do?

The only point I can see you are making is that catering in the UK is a shit career.

Can't disagree with that but how many people in the UK are paid roughly the same as my son and who can afford to pay £400 a month plus insurance for a car?

My wife is on the same money as my son (different industry) so that's two in my house out of four adults.

Neither of them could afford a £400 a month car, my son's partner is a dental nurse (same shit wages) and she's just bought a new car (to her) an eight year old Corsa which replaced a ten year old Fiat which was falling apart.

That above is the reality for a lot of people working in the UK at the minute.

same with anything - there will be ICE cars that remain unaffordable to some. EVs will come down in price. big LED TVs were unaffordable when they first came out.

advertisement

Back