advertisement

Who's bought their last tank of petrol?

I haven't bought my last tank of fuel but I note there are now two Audi e-trons in our street.

One of my near neighbours has an Audi e-tron as well as 2 others cars, an older Mercedes SL and a Mitsubushi 4x4 hybrid. As far as I can tell the e-tron seems to get the least use of the 3. Another neighbour has had a Peugeot e2008 for the last few months but as far as I can tell they don't use it at all (they have a Landrover Discovery that gets daily use) in fact they don't even appear to plug it into charge any more. Not a clue why! I've been meaning to ask how he's finding it as the bigger battery version of that is one of the cars that's getting close to meeting my use case (although still quite expensive given what it is).

One of my near neighbours has an Audi e-tron as well as 2 others cars, an older Mercedes SL and a Mitsubushi 4x4 hybrid. As far as I can tell the e-tron seems to get the least use of the 3. Another neighbour has had a Peugeot e2008 for the last few months but as far as I can tell they don't use it at all (they have a Landrover Discovery that gets daily use) in fact they don't even appear to plug it into charge any more. Not a clue why! I've been meaning to ask how he's finding it as the bigger battery version of that is one of the cars that's getting close to meeting my use case (although still quite expensive given what it is).

One neighbour in e-tron SUV crept up on me while I was getting stuff out of the back of the Merc and gave me a wee shock when this big black lump was only a meter behind me!
Even he admitted it was a bit 'dead' to drive and he's a bloody car salesman ...But it saved him a load of tax or something - I wasn't really listening LOL

One neighbour in e-tron SUV crept up on me while I was getting stuff out of the back of the Merc and gave me a wee shock when this big black lump was only a meter behind me!
Even he admitted it was a bit 'dead' to drive and he's a bloody car salesman ...But it saved him a load of tax or something - I wasn't really listening LOL

the e-tron SUV is horrible to drive and very inefficient. One to avoid.

He let me drive it a few months ago when he first got it and I literally can't remember anything about it now. The power delivery was nice and linear but so is the power delivery on my current e350 V6 diesel. And because the Merc is much lighter it felt like in gear acceleration was actually better.

I told him to come back in 3 years once we are getting into next gen EV stuff.

As an engineer, I'm genuinely interested in it all.
Especially what zippy sports cars will be possible once energy density improves..

He let me drive it a few months ago when he first got it and I literally can't remember anything about it now. The power delivery was nice and linear but so is the power delivery on my current e350 V6 diesel. And because the Merc is much lighter it felt like in gear acceleration was actually better.

I told him to come back inl3 years once we are getting into next gen EV stuff.

Especially what zippy sports cars will be possible once energy density improves..

try to get to drive a Jaguar i-Pace. it is a pretty decent drive and very fast. Still not a zippy sports car but impressive nonetheless.

Edit: Taycan and e-tron GT would be even better obvs

Can't wait to see what the likes of Lotus put out.

I'm resigned to the fact that legacy ICE will become economically unviable - not only because of fuel and tax...but the bigger issue that hits them earlier may actually be spare parts prices rocketing as manufacturing capacity moves across to EV based gear. Basic stuff like exhausts, radiators, water pumps, MAF sensor and all the emissions gear splattered around an ICE engine block...no longer required in the EV world.
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/germany-electric-vehicles-europe

My dealer lent me a Q4 etron the other day. OK it’s an SUV but it was completely unmemorable. It fulfils the function of getting from A to B but there was no driving pleasure. It was an odd sensation
The Panda’s fine for me

My dealer lent me a Q4 etron the other day. OK it’s an SUV but it was completely unmemorable. It fulfils the function of getting from A to B but there was no driving pleasure. It was an odd sensation
The Panda’s fine for me

the thing weighs 2.7 tonnes!

The Panda’s fine for me

OK, so it wasn't just me then...good :) :)
They're going to have to try a hell of alot harder than that to bring the masses across.

I told him to come back in 3 years once we are getting into next gen EV stuff.

I had the option of the Audi eTron as my car replacement but could not even get a test drive from Audi they were so keen to sell me one. Bought a Tesla instead, fab drive sounds like not much missed not getting the Audi.

Almost worry free motoring around town for that price, especially pensioners who know how much they have every month for the

That particular deal (which does look very good value) has an up-front payment equivalent to 9-months, so around £1800.

Here's one pensioner who thinks it's a very poor deal, paying more p.a. than depreciation costs, by and large, but not owning the vehicle. Worry free? I'd worry a heck of a lot more driving someone else's car, Tony. Last year I did 1000 miles, my MOT cert. says (2000+ prior to Covid). A small electric reincarnation of the bubble car (and no, not the Smart Four-two) would suffice as I could get it into my garage; however, I need an estate. Snookered !

A small electric reincarnation of the bubble car (and no, not the Smart Four-two) would suffice as I could get it into my garage

You mean this?

b696acf01976e6c58630b1d72b7b4df78e0d516413c2654d0a8e85623c5c5401-636x431.jpg

https://microlino-car.com/en/microlino

try to get to drive a Jaguar i-Pace. it is a pretty decent drive and very fast. Still not a zippy sports car but impressive nonetheless.

It does look good (barring concerns about Jaguar reliability of course) and just about meets my needs for range and space, however it's quite pricey even to lease. For the basic model (which is £65K or so list) over 5 years and 15,000 per year and with a 10% deposit you're looking at £758 per month, with an optional final payment of £23K if you wanted to own it.

For me at least that's still quite a lot and works out as around £43,000 to rent it for 4 years and an awful lot more (3 to 4 times in fact) compared to running my Mercedes for a similar period.

Weight isn't everything. The RS6 is over 2 tonnes, and it doesn't drive like that! ;)

True, but some poor owner down the line will be caught with the suspension and brakes servicing bill to pull off that trick. Surely the car doesn't need to be that heavy - WTF is in it?

True, but some poor owner down the line will be caught with the suspension and brakes servicing bill to pull off that trick. Surely the car doesn't need to be that heavy - WTF is in it?

My 7.3m Transit based motorhome is only 10% heavier (unladen) than that Q4 etron. And it has 6 beds, a shower, bathroom and a kitchen...

advertisement

Back