advertisement

Big life change and everthing is now for sale

Yes they are very strict these days , once I even had to send my mum's death certificate to prove source

Money laundering is a big problem though so I guess helps to stop it maybe

Mmm , not sure that the new plastic notes get dirty :rolleyes:

If a solicitor doesn't make proper checks to ascertain the client's identity and the source of his funds, the solicitor can be sent down should the client prove to be dodgy.

yes my mrs dads partner was sent to jail for dodgy practices as a solicitor !!! and a local practice here we used to deal with got struck off !

yes my mrs dads partner was sent to jail for dodgy practices as a solicitor !!! and a local practice here we used to deal with got struck off !
What I was on about was not for doing anything dodgy, but simply taking your client at face value. The money laundering rules are more than somewhat draconian, and if for example you act as a conveyancer you need to jump through a lot of hoops, and have your client do the same, as AudioAl is finding.
I once took instructions in a litigation matter froma client who was in prison for an unrelated matter. I tried to open a file for him. My money laundering partner (yes, we all have one) demanded I get ID from him. His passport or photo driving licence, plus a utility bill or tv licence would do. I pointed out that in prison he would have none of these to hand. Eventually she conceded that as I visited him in prison to take instructions, and he was brought to the interview room and introduced to me by a prison officer, that was sufficient.

wow thanks for that insight ! they are even asking now if we are MP`s !! or have a political affiliation
rather annoyingly my mortgage was refused today because the garage is leasehold [ house is FH] and only 41 years left . unfortunately the initial conveyancing solicitor omitted to tell until i found out from neighbours 3 days after completion . All i can do is write to solicitor and see if he can separate the 2 titles so maybe a mortgage co might accept that !!
its not easy getting mortgages these days

Update time
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif

Nothing has happened for a good few weeks so I go into rant mode and email my solicitors ," Why has nothing happened ? "

I get a reply saying they contacted my sellers solicitors and asked some questions on 3rd August and to date have not had a reply ,

WTF I say this is not acceptable so the get in touch with the sellers estate agents and ask PLEASE find out why they are not responding . I at a later date get a reply sayin " We contacted your solicitors and asked some questions 2 weeks ago and they have not replied , Good god we now have 2 solisiters blaiming each other , You could not make this up , Unbelivable
f_doh.gif.2bfa1ec008d0c8800eee305d3a30be23.gif

Update time

Nothing has happened for a good few weeks so I go into rant mode and email my solicitors ," Why has nothing happened ? "

I get a reply saying they contacted my sellers solicitors and asked some questions on 3rd August and to date have not had a reply ,

WTF I say this is not acceptable so the get in touch with the sellers estate agents and ask PLEASE find out why they are not responding . I at a later date get a reply sayin " We contacted your solicitors and asked some questions 2 weeks ago and they have not replied , Good god we now have 2 solisiters blaiming each other , You could not make this up , Unbelivable
It’s the people you are buying off to blame.

Update time

that's why I love local estate agents who bang heads together !! You can't beat their input to chase things up

Update time

Of course, the tardiness of legal professionals extends well beyond the property transaction domain and into other aspects of life such as power of attorney, probate and divorce. I have experience of all these and can say unequivocally that in all instances Solicitors worked to their own timescales (I learnt their holidays are much more important to them than your little issue) and have no compunction to curtail costs.

My lantern and pitchfork are primed and ready should you give me the nod.

Bloody NORA :eek:

Just had the price for the move come in and it's £10.800 :mad:

Eek - that's a lot. The last time I moved between different parts of London (which would have been about 5 years back) I think we were only a couple of thousand or so. I did price up the move back from London to Edinburgh and while I can't recall what the cost of that was I ended up renting a big van and doing the move myself!

advertisement

Back