advertisement

Andy's not sweating.

I heard on R4 yesterday that both legal teams are talking about money rather than criminal punishment

The UK is very far from an absolute monarchy. The beginning of the end was beheading of Charles 1 in 1649.

Aye and what happened they executed Cromwell then dug him up and executed him again and stuck his head on a pike for something like 16 years and the head ended up in Sidney Sussex college in Cambridge and was then re-buried in the sixties.

The English are nuts man...

I lost count myself back there. Edward VII was Andrew's great-great grandfather. George VI was his grandfather, and George V was his great-grandfather. George V was famously boring. His hobbies were shooting grouse and stamp-collecting.

From the Times

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fe0e42d64-fad4-11eb-9518-a24420b7ed4e.jpg

Well who was Bertie then? I also believe that the Duke of Edinburgh and Princess Margaret ( she is still among us) had Epstein strangled in his cell.

Bertie was the Nazi king, well the only one outed as a Nazi apart from Harry that is and princess pushy, hang on, they're all Nazis aren't they?

Bertie became Edward the Seventh, so pre-dates Nazism by a generation. But Edward the Eighth, he of Wallis Simpson infamy, was openly engaged with Nazis in the 1930s.

You sure about that SPT?

What was the Nazi king's cuddly name then?

Apparently he was know, apart from the Nazi, as David.

Edward VII (Bertie) would have been Andrew's great grandfather, not grandfather. His sons became Edward VIII (abdicated) and George VI, who was Andrew's grandfather. You got your generations mixed up, that's all.

Did he, aye?

Aye, he did. He was succeeded by his son. Cromwell was indeed tried and executed, but only after being exhumed.

Why were visual representations of Oliver Cromwell’s body so important?
The woodcut illustration (after p. 8) shows Oliver Cromwell’s effigy in ermine-trimmed robes, with a crown placed just above his head. These royal accessories were given to Cromwell posthumously: he had been offered them in life but had refused. Through association with the easily recognised and respected artefacts of royalty, the hereditary succession of Cromwell’s son Richard was legitimised. To this effect, Cromwell’s effigy was displayed at Somerset House and during the funeral procession through London, as well as depicted in images that were circulated to audiences further afield.

After the Restoration, positive visual representations of Oliver Cromwell kept the spectre of rebellion and republicanism alive. In a macabre demonstration of strength (and vengeance for his father’s death) King Charles II (1630–1685) ordered Cromwell’s body to be exhumed, tried, executed and exhibited before the citizens of London. The sight of Cromwell’s mutilated corpse was intended to counteract any lingering pro-Cromwellian sentiment in Britain.

From: https://www.bl.uk/collection-items/pamphlet-on-the-death-of-oliver-cromwell

advertisement

Back