advertisement

Guy Martin’s blue minnow car programme.

Tony Lockhart

Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity
Did anyone else watch it?
Entertaining as usual, interesting enough, and boy has he aged!

We’re hopefully, chips permitting, getting a new car sometime in the next six months, but I think the one after in 2025 with be powered entirely by wiggly amps.

It was nice to see the innards of an EV for a change, and the company in Wales converting classic vehicles to EV are doing a roaring trade, it seems.

Did anyone else watch it?
Entertaining as usual, interesting enough, and boy has he aged!

We’re hopefully, chips permitting, getting a new car sometime in the next six months, but I think the one after in 2025 with be powered entirely by wiggly amps.

It was nice to see the innards of an EV for a change, and the company in Wales converting classic vehicles to EV are doing a roaring trade, it seems.

Must watch it. He actually looks better than I expected considering what he's put himself through :) :)

we are about a year to 15 months out and EV is definitely on the agenda. Cannot decide whether a runabout for all our local journeys would be best, or something more fancy that would cover us for the annual roadtrip.....

For another fix of what it might be like in a well dead quick EV, take a gander at this vid. Go to 18 mins 20s if you’re impatient:

we are about a year to 15 months out and EV is definitely on the agenda. Cannot decide whether a runabout for all our local journeys would be best, or something more fancy that would cover us for the annual roadtrip.....

When I eventually go down the EV route it'll probably be for a city runabout as there still aren't any bigger cars I'm either interested in or would be willing to throw cash at.

Last time I changed my own car (about 2 years ago) the electric option was going to be much more expensive (not just to change, but also over the lifetime I'd be likely to keep the car) plus the lack of range was still going to be an issue for a fair bit of the driving I do.

On the Guy Martin programme I think they said that about 600 new EV charging points a week are being installed in the U.K. that’s at least a little reassuring.

Not so good was his trial journey to John o’Groats and back. Half the charging points he tried didn’t work. Can you just imagine if half the fuel stations in Britain ‘didn’t work’….?

On the Guy Martin programme I think they said that about 600 new EV charging points a week are being installed in the U.K. that’s at least a little reassuring.

Not so good was his trial journey to John o’Groats and back. Half the charging points he tried didn’t work. Can you just imagine if half the fuel stations in Britain ‘didn’t work’….?

That is still a major turn off for me on any other EV than Tesla. Does not impact a local runabout EV as all charging is done at home (assuming you have a drive) but it is critical to anyone needing a typical family car. Range anxiety is a real thing from poor charging networks this need resolving.

I wanted to charge at a local car park recently, needed to sign up to a website, create an account, register my credit card then finally plug in and found the charger did not work. You don't get this with Tesla, plug it in and it charges, no wait no pause and the car tells you what charger ports are free while you plan your journey and whilst approaching along with wait times if they are all used.

I am sure (non Tesla) charging networks will improve and rapidly but it remains a justifiable concern

Half the charging points he tried didn’t work

many of my friends with EVs are reporting that.

When I eventually go down the EV route it'll probably be for a city runabout as there still aren't any bigger cars I'm either interested in or would be willing to throw cash at.

this is my inclination. I am interested to see what the Porsche EV Macan might be like but ATM i am not attracted to any of the larger (hence longer range) offerings. I am quite interested to see if Arbarth do something with an EV Fiat 500.

I love the Ioniq5 exterior but i dont need something that big. The Honda-E is funky, but the range (even for a city car) is perhaps too low for me to live with

Been an EV driver for nearly six years now. Almost ready to make an EV our main vehicle (the VW camper is our long-distance driver). It's really not that difficult, even if you don't have home charging. But things do need to evolve and improve, for sure. Wouldn't dream of driving an ICE vehicle for a daily commute anymore, that's for sure....

I might look at a fun but quick ebike. Charge at home via solar panels, tear up the local country roads in virtual silence except for my whoops of joy. I’d keep it legal, but fast :)

It will also be interesting at which point the Government get involved to recoup the reduced tax revenue lost from petrol and diesel.
What happens when 51% of us are using an ev, will they just hike the tax? It’ll be a difficult sell at that point unless they also tax the fossil fuel to at point it’s even less attractive. We then of course will reach a point where many can’t afford to run a car which I guess may be the point!
If I had the cash I could replace my 118 m of hedges with solar panels and sell electricity to the local ev drivers!
Mmmm, worth considering!
My brother is just about to take delivery of a sixties swb Land Rover project with a V8 engine in it. I suspect by the time he’s rebuilt it he may not be able to use it

advertisement

Back