advertisement

Guy Martin’s blue minnow car programme.

I would save approx £500/year in fuel costs and 1.5 tons (!) of CO2, but no idea what a charging station and installation would be, esp as my car is parked along my path at about 100m from my house so would probably need 100m of 16mm2 armour cable laying in a trench to provide the juice to the charging station. Reckon there wouldn't be much change form £7k-10k. As always it's practicalities etc that make it a difficult choice, not to mention the extra capacity within the 'system' in order to cope with the demand. I also tend to buy older cars (my Citroen is 59 plate) so buying the car would be a large investment compared to my usual habit.

Good post.

100m of 16mm2 cable £750 dig a trench yourself or pay a labourer £100*, pay a sparks to add a consumer unit and connect probably another £200.

* depends what the ground material is, I was assuming grass or earth. If asphalt or concrete then higher costs.

Concrete most of the way. No room for a drot / digger so all manual labour. Reckon that'd be £1.5k just to dig / fill the trench, hopefully after the cable was laid. ;)
So that would be about £2-2.5k to provide the juice. Then the cost of a charging unit + install.
Just found this:
Electric car charging stations and costs: a complete guide | Carbuyer
Which quotes this:
'It’s fairly easy to have a charging point installed at home, and this is generally a sensible idea. A home charging point will allow you to use fast charging – though not rapid. It’s estimated that around 80% of electric car charges take place at home, and the Government will give you a grant towards the cost of installing your own charging point. This is capped at 75% of the cost of installation, or £500, though some car makers will carry the entire cost of installation, meaning you won’t have to pay a penny.'
But I doubt whether this would apply in my case. :eek::rolleyes:

advertisement

Back