advertisement

Guy Martin’s blue minnow car programme.

I might look at a fun but quick ebike. Charge at home via solar panels, tear up the local country roads in virtual silence except for my whoops of joy. I’d keep it legal, but fast :)

Great idea Tony, just what we need are men of a certain age riding a fast on two wheels without training:D.

It’s the training aspect that I just don’t get. The extended motorcycle test was introduced because back in the day youngsters like myself were killing themselves on the ever evolving bikes of the time. I don’t have the figures but I’m sure that amended test and a path to a more powerful machine saved countless lives.
If personal ev transport is to safely thrive it needs a proper training scheme, a recognised test and regulation.
The above may make it less appealing to some but there should be a hurdle or two before anyone is let loose on the rd!

What happens when 51% of us are using an ev, will they just hike the tax? It’ll be a difficult sell at that point unless they also tax the fossil fuel to at point it’s even less attractive.

yes they will need to instigate variable tax tariffs. Perhaps even allowing consumers to choose electricity from a windmill or solar, and electricity from a gas fired power station

Great idea Tony, just what we need are men of a certain age riding a fast on two wheels without training:D.

It’s the training aspect that I just don’t get. The extended motorcycle test was introduced because back in the day youngsters like myself were killing themselves on the ever evolving bikes of the time. I don’t have the figures but I’m sure that amended test and a path to a more powerful machine saved countless lives.
If personal ev transport is to safely thrive it needs a proper training scheme, a recognised test and regulation.
The above may make it less appealing to some but there should be a hurdle or two before anyone is let loose on the rd!
Over a certain level of performance, they come under the same requirements as ICE powered motorcycles. Why did you think I wouldn’t undergo training???

Electric car would work quite well for the other half, less so for me but I do worry about battery life & long term reliability.

For a local runabout here in the US you can pick up a second hand 3-4 yr old Nissan leaf for about $10k - seems ideal to me, and keep the petrol car for longer runs. I'd find it pretty hard to justify $50k for a new EV.

For another fix of what it might be like in a well dead quick EV, take a gander at this vid. Go to 18 mins 20s if you’re impatient:

That's stunning indeed and we'd all love one. However, I recently picked up a one owner used RS7 with 12,000 miles for about a third of the cost of the RS E-tron... it has a range of 470 miles and similar (slightly slower) performance... when it does come to moving to EV I suspect I'd go down the Hyundai/Kia route in truth

Most of my mileage is done travelling up and down to my place in the Cairngorms, which is 130 miles each way via the summer route (and that's a very hilly route), but more like 175 miles each way via the winter route options. I'd have charging points at both homes but that still means I'd really need something with a published range of maybe 250 miles for it not to be a worry (especially in the winter as I might need to turn back on occasion of the snow gates are closed). That'd also have to be with either an SUV or estate sized car to accommodate a large dog. When I looked last time there didn't seem to be anything that fit the bill, or at least nothing that wasn't going to be much, much more expensive to own and run compared to a modest internal combustion car (which is what I went with).

My wife's car tends to be used more for running around locally and that is more of a candidate for being replaced with an electric option (especially when Edinburgh brings in its planned green scheme as her car would be barred from the city centre) although I'm not sure how keen she's going to be on replacing her SLK with something like a Zoe or Leaf.

That's stunning indeed and we'd all love one. However, I recently picked up a one owner used RS7 with 12,000 miles for about a third of the cost of the RS E-tron... it has a range of 470 miles and similar (slightly slower) performance... when it does come to moving to EV I suspect I'd go down the Hyundai/Kia route in truth

Has anyone actually seen an electric car being driven in a sporty manner? I can't recall ever encountering one, which I've assumed was because they generally appeal more currently to the people that mostly see a car as an appliance rather than as something to enjoy.

I've argued elsewhere that manufacturers should be offering small but practical 3-door coupes (like the Audi TT, Honda CRX, or the Volvo V30) in their EV ranges, as most EVs will, for now, be second cars where range and practicality are secondary and style can be more of a consideration.

Has anyone actually seen an electric car being driven in a sporty manner? I can't recall ever encountering one, which I've assumed was because they generally appeal more currently to the people that mostly see a car as an appliance rather than as something to enjoy.
nope, most of my work colleagues who have EV's (Tesla) say they don't drive it hard or the range plummets... many just top up on the motorway for 20 mins or so to get home on the return journey

Electric car would work quite well for the other half, less so for me but I do worry about battery life & long term reliability.

I think this will form the bulk of the sales whilst the rest of the tech improves....which it will

advertisement

Back